Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

I posted:

So 90s.

I really hate to say this, but the show lost a lot without the original music in it to capture the 90s groups. Even if the DVD releases couldn't have had the original music, it would have been nice for optional captions or something that would say, "Lovefool by the Cardigans played in the televised version during this scene."

I swear, MTV was the BEST from about 1990-1996. They had the right mix of content and quality. I keep trying to figure out what killed MTV for me, and know there seemed to be a big shift in the MTV stuff around 1996-97 with Spice Girls and Puff Daddy, then Britney and the rest. Then we get Woodstock '99 and it's official: The good times are over.

I also think that MTV screwed up when it got rid of its genre shows, too: Yo!, Headbangers, 120 Minutes, Earth to MTV, Weekend Countdown, etc. They were really great venues for lesser known acts to get presented to their audience and potentially score some breakout success.

I still remember the Summers in the 90s, staying up all night long, watching Speed Racer reruns at 3am, seeing the Art Institute commercials playing every hour, and the Slow Bob in the Lower Dimensions and Joe's Apartment filling up time between videos at strange hours of the night, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Wandering Knitter posted:

The Real World killed MTV. Because after that followed the first trickle of "reality" shows. There was Road Rage, and Singled Out, and probably a dozen more I'm forgotten. They kept adding more shows and bumping off music. :smith:

I actually really liked the first 2 seasons of The Real World. Sure, it popularized the reality TV trend, but the first few years actually had a lot going for it. After that, though, I couldn't stand watching the show. I remember listening to an interview with Puck from 1999 or so where I think he said that after their season or the next some production staff behind the scenes changed, which may account for it.

However, I still remember people who declared things like The Ten Spot and ANY non-music programming (The State, Dead at 21, Liquid TV, Love Line, animated shows, etc.) taking up even an hour or two a day total of programming was destroying the channel, and this was when it literally consisted of only a few hours a day staggered about. Personally, I didn't mind when their non-music programming consisted of a few hours a day. There was probably no other channel in the 90s that could have/would have taken a risk on something like the first few years of The Real World, Liquid TV, etc.

On top of that, I seem to remember that even before the 90s MTV wasn't all music. We had reruns of the old Beatles Cartoon, The Monkees, Monty Python, The Young Ones, Half-Hour Comedy Hour, etc. Sure, most had some musical content, but MTV sort of knew how to not oversaturate them.

I almost want to say Singled Out did more damage. I remember also during the Summer one year that it felt like after midnight they played NOTHING but Singled Out episodes for several hours straight, every night, for weeks.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
For me, one of my memories of the 90s that was as campy as all get-go were the Art Institute commercials that used to play on MTV all the time. They made quite a few different ones, but this was one of the few I could find on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyT9gT0fs3Q

MTV used to be so great with it's little station ID stuff in the 90s, too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3YvftF8jpI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3otUnK3O2g
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mO6Nfp56NOY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=jzBbZkJPS5g
Tabitha Soren's blouse in that clip is woven from the purest strands of 90s. Just watching the first few minutes of this reminded me of how MTV used to be with their relatively well-produced and informative Week in Rock up until the end of the 90s.
(Wow. Young Lars Ulrich looks like Dr. Rick Daglass.)

On the subject of Tabitha Soren: She's a firecracker when you interrupt her interview to tell her no more questions.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=or8l1tpDy1k
drat, Mariah is just sitting there like a deer in headlights, not knowing what the heck to do.

edit: Seeing Kurt Loder again reminded me of how awesome he was as the MTV news guy. There were a few times in reports that you could tell he didn't really care about the antics of the celebrity.

JediTalentAgent has a new favorite as of 09:16 on Jun 1, 2012

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

RadioactiveKid posted:

Oh my god I have not heard this band in forever. Hey Jealousy was their best song though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ah5gAkna3jI&feature=relmfu

The backstory to the group is pretty depressing if you read the Wiki on the guy who wrote those songs...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doug_Hopkins

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
USA Up All Night was a classic and this really hits home with something I've said for a long time: That era of TV has died.

It used to be up until probably about 2005 that the late-late show and the weekend afternoon movie was sort of a common, but big, thing. USA had Up All Night, TNT had Monstervision with Joe Bob Briggs, 100% Weird, etc. TBS was often known to show odd films on a Friday/Saturday night. Local channels would routinely have older movies after midnight, etc. Then you had the cable networks that did the same, too. They were great outlets for films that would have otherwise been forgotten or lost to an audience.

I posted:

The other being Vanilla Ice. Snow and Ice seem to be the two that ruined rap music for white guys until Eminem came along.

I think at that time the genre was really in a state of trying to find its pop culture niche. Geraldo, Tone Loc, Mix-A-Lot, MC Hammer and others all had a lot of popularity with the genre and mass appeal for a few years, but that all sort of faded away.

I almost want to say that Snow, Ice, and others from the era, no matter how 'tough' they were were sort of vestiges of a 'fun' rap scene before the hardcore and more antagonistic rap scene stepped into the limelight around the same time with feuds, deaths, anger, shock, lyrics, etc. made them look sort of 'childish' and 'fake' in comparison.

Of course, I wasn't too big into the rap scene, so my perceptions may be off.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
I posted this in another thread, but I think it deserves to be here, too.

Years ago Up All Night played a movie called Getting Lucky: It's story of an alcoholic leprechaun who has to grant wishes to a school nerd. I swear to God, they actually played this scene without any edits on the show back in the 90s.

:nws:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8Hud1aOvdE

I remembered this for years. Then one night about 10 years later I'm talking to a guy I know about UAN and he starts describing this film and I complete his sentence. He's amazed I knew what he was talking about because no one believed him when he said he saw something like that on USA in the 90s.

JediTalentAgent has a new favorite as of 06:13 on Jun 11, 2012

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

Cleretic posted:

I've constantly been intending to check this, but I kept going 'nah, it's a waste of time, that thing went down ages back, Amanda Bynes hasn't even done anything for years'. But wow, it's still there.

So is the Space Jam website.

In another thread we were discussing a piece of software that was a rival, then a part of, Realvideo in the 90s. The wiki page shows that Real STILL has a late 90s-era site page for it.

http://egg.real.com/vivo-player/vivodl.html

I've got some of those magazines from the 90s with the interesting internet pages index in the back that I need to dig up and go through to see if any of them are still active.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
The scrambled channels were sometimes really relaxing to just have on as background noise during the night, too. I remember one night just having the audio to American Pie playing from a scrambled signal all night long while I worked on other stuff and remembering enough of the visuals of the film from seeing it in the theater.

One thing about the 90s for me, though, is that it really felt like the last gasp of TV being pretty cool in general with things like the B-grade and classic late-late shows on TNT, TBS and WGN, syndicated SF series on local broadcasters at 1AM. I still remember out of the blue one night TBS decided to show the original, non-MST3k version of Mitchell out of nowhere. Shows like Up All Night, Monstervision, Joe Bob Briggs, etc.

DrBouvenstein posted:

The weirdest part about renting NES/SNES games was sometimes you'd get a weird, not original, manual in the plastic case.

And I don't just mean a photocopy, I mean someone not in any way involved with the producers of the game just made a half-assed manual full of misleading, and flat-out wrong information.

If you were really unlucky, you'd just get that sticker on the back of the case that told you the controls of the game (again, usually with several errors) in blue ink.

From what I gather, other people often had this guy:

To go back in time a bit more around these, I seem to remember that when these sort of gaming things were all over the place it was during a period of time when the game industry was trying to get rid of video store game rentals. I think the popular reason was that they felt it was stealing sales.

As a tie-in to this, it seemed that at the height of this that stores were being told that they couldn't even xerox replacement instructions in case of loss or damage, since that was violating copyright. So, these started to come out more and more. Then, I think, there was a game company that threatened to sue the makers of one these things for saying they were stealing and selling copyrighted content from the manuals by putting "B=Punch, A=Kick".

Here's some articles from almost 25 years ago on some of it (the only links I could find all come from the same source, though.)

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/1989-08-13/business/8902250572_1_nintendo-blockbuster-video-games
http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/1989-08-16/business/8902260327_1_blockbuster-entertainment-nintendo-blockbuster-video (This one seems to be more an editorial piece, but the guy is on Nintendo's side for this.)
http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/1989-08-10/business/8902250177_1_nintendo-blockbuster-manuals

edit: A quote from one of the articles on Nintendo's stance on the matter:
"Nintendo, the Redmond, Wash.-based subsidiary of the Japanese toy company, said that Blockbuster`s move to stop photocopying manuals ``only takes care of the future. But we intend to recover for damages already sustained by Blockbuster`s illegal actions,`` said Lynn Hvalsoe, Nintendo`s legal counsel."

JediTalentAgent has a new favorite as of 09:35 on Feb 9, 2013

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

My parents still don't have it on their landline because my dad refuses to pay for 'unnecessary flashy features for suckers' even though they have a phone that can read caller ID signals already and the surcharge is like $3 a month these days :psyduck: I couldn't tell who was calling me (if they didn't call my cell phone, which they NEVER DID) until I went to college.

Yeah, by this time caller ID should be completely free on even basic landline given that I think even the cheapest cell plan has some sort of caller ID feature built into it.

There used to be an extra charge for touch-tone calling through the 90s, too. We had a rotary phone in our house and our keypad phones had a switch on them to alternate to pulse-dialing for making calls if you didn't have touchtone service.

We never paid the extra per month to use touch tone, and I honestly think the failure to have it added meant that even if you pulse dialed a phone and then switched over to touch tone once the call was completed, it was still a complete crap shoot whether or not the automated service on the other end would accept your tone signals or if you'd have to just wait on line for an operator.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Over the last few years it seems Sega and even Capcom have been pretty permissive with licensing out some of their older Genesis era stuff from the 90s into new systems and handhelds.

There's a thing simply called "The Ultimate Portable Game Player" on Amazon for like $50 and at Sam's Club for like $40 that looks like a pretty good modern take on the Nomad. About 80 games on it, probably about 30-40 or so being Genesis games, I think.

Pretty much looks like it's almost worth it considering it's got a couple of Street Fighter games on it and it looks like it claims it also includes Mega Man: The Wily Wars, which was never released as a cart for the Genny in the US and was only available in the states as part of the short-lived Sega Channel downloadable service in the 90s.

JediTalentAgent has a new favorite as of 13:27 on Jul 16, 2013

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

bale. posted:

That is, until I saw the episode where a guy broke his ankle so badly on the spinning wheel/pyramid of death thing that his foot was pointing behind him. Ugggh. Whenever I think of the show now, all I can think bout is that poor dudes ankle and how they showed it afterwards from every angle.

Does anyone else remember that?

In the early 00s, there was a show called "Slam Ball" on Spike/TNN where something similar happened. I think the only footage that exists is on Youtube shot from a phone or camcorder of the screen and it's pretty horrific.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWye6Ut8rY0 may be a bit graphic

I can't even watch it past the initial shot of the guy's foot.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

John Liver posted:

I distinctly remember seeing that when it aired on TV - I was only a kid, but I knew putting that on air was a bad move. I just thought to myself, "Welp, now this show's getting canceled for sure."

Yeah, I remember watching it on TV, too and it burned its way into my mind forever. I'm shocked they even acknowledged the accident as much as they did. But I'm sure if I were a slamball player, from that point forward, I was never, EVER, getting near trampoline, again. In fact, you know what, I'll stay on the bench, coach...

I don't even know why the heck I was even watching Slamball in the first place to have even seen it. Maybe it was just something that came on the air right after or before one of the channel's airings of Star Trek: TNG.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
We used to have a few "Circus World" stores in our area malls. Apparently, that company got bought out by KB at some point in the early 90s or so, which might have helped the KB brand expand to more places rather quickly.

It MIGHT be the chain Wandering Knitter is thinking of.

Personally, I sort of miss the old days of the video game stores of the 90s. Right now we seem to mostly just have Gamestop, but I remember Babbages, Electronics Boutique, Waldensoftware, Egghead, Funcoland, etc. I think most, if not all, eventually just got consumed into one another, then into the entity that is now Gamestop. It was always fairly nice to have some variety, as Game Crazy would often carry a lot of preowned accessories and oddball items Gamestop just didn't bother with.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

Ema Nymton posted:

Eventually I moved on to Adidas athletic sneakers, which was becoming a big brand in the 90s. You had to have 3 stripes. 2 stripes is for the poors.

I still seem to remember Sketchers as a relatively low-end/budget brand in the early-mid 90s. I got a pair of their Converse-styled canvas shoes which lead to at least one comment from someone who thought they were just a nice pair of Converses.

They seemed to become more popular by the latter-half of the 90s, though.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

Pope Guilty posted:

These are the two arcade games that I think of when I think of the 90's:

I loved Top Skater, but, by God, that game broke like you wouldn't believe, and the arcades didn't give a drat.

Put a dollar into the game and... Oh, it's pulling the to the left, and now you can't actually play the game, control anything, or actually finish the level.

You're not getting a refund, and you're not going to get any fun out of the game, either, so you might as well just step off and walk away.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
You had to stockpile those weapons before the government banned them!

No serial numbers, completely untraceable...

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
On the subject of 90s computer animation, Def Leppard's "Let's Get Rocked"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tt1uKtp35Cs

The sort of sad thing is that while it's hard to fully make out compressed streaming video but for the time the 'virtual stage' footage looks really good. It's the cartoony kid stuff in it that is scary.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
One thing I do recall someone saying about the Saturn, though, is that it was the last game console that was designed pretty much entirely with all off-the-shelf parts. No custom or proprietary chips or components.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

Sentient Data posted:

Wait, what? Bozo was only a Chicago area thing? I thought it was at least syndicated nationally since "Bozo" became such a common term.

I think there were some regional Bozos, if I remember correctly. My area aired different ones on different channels growing up: The WGN version was bright and reruns of another version that felt creepier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyAHYyLQ_9I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2Q6qbYsDiQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRLPW8RlUvE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PegkGpgHBYk This one is apparently from 90's Philly.

JediTalentAgent has a new favorite as of 22:35 on Nov 20, 2014

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Lego has a line that sounds like that now called Bionicles. I think they also did a similar, more humanoid looking thing in the late 90s/early 00 called Galidor that you might be thinking of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
It launched in December 1999, so it still counts: The Naked News.

According to wiki they're still around, which I'm surprised about.

• Locked thread