Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
PICNIC TIME! :byodood:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Obligatory Toast posted:

I owned the pop-up clubhouse. Got it for Christmas one year. That thing was the poo poo, but not nearly as cool as the mermaid storybook Polly Pocket set.

Oh man, were those the tiny ones that had "jewels" on the top of them? I owned the poo poo out of those! And the ones that came with fuzzy animals!

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Cromulent posted:

I've seen this pop up in 90s threads before, but I've always found it strange because I still use Winamp, as do several of my friends. Are we really just that behind the times? What's the de-facto non-Itunes media player these days?

What makes winamp 90's were the thousands of terrible free skins you could download from shady websites. It was right up there with custom cursors and changing your computer shut down noises to Dr. Who audio clips.

...Other people changed their computer shut down noises to Dr. Who audio clips, right? :ohdear:

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Twat McTwatterson posted:

Hahaha, wow. What the gently caress was the name of his series? It was an even more mature Fear Street, basically. There was also another series by a woman that took place in college, in haunted dorms or something. Like Roommate nightmares or something.

Was he the one that wrote the "Remember Me" books? I remember reading them when I was eleven and being shocked, shocked at the idea of people making out while naked in a hot tub! :aaa:

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

QuickbreathFinisher posted:

I remember reading this one summer and thinking it was hilarious, because a lot of the characters and stories were ridiculously funny. Every time we had a substitute teacher, I wanted her to look like Mrs. Gorf. That's right bitchiz, I'm talking about Sideways stories from Wayside School.

I remember the 29th (I think?) floor freaked me out. The lost floor where people who got lost would be stuck in class forever? or something? And I remember the Erics, whose names (Eric Ovens, Eric Fry, and Eric Bacon) were hilarious to age 8 me. Great book.

It was the 13th floor. Once a girl had to drop off some papers on the classroom on the 13th floor, and kept going up and down between the 12th and 14th until she ran into a long-hair hippie who told her a story about a guy with long hair getting his ear cut off during a haircut. Then he hands are a strange paper bag with "something" in it and tells her to give it to a barber.

It was a very strange book series. Yet I was always disappointed at the lack of potato tattoos in the world. :sigh:

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

madlilnerd posted:

hahahah, yeah. They were too rough for my delicate overly Christian sensibilities. See, I was a massive Christian until I was 13. Being a Christian wasn't just okay in the 90s, it was cool. We had Christian rock and I even had a tshirt that said "Never underestimate the power of the PRAYstation" and it had the Playstation buttons but the + was replaced with a crucifix :cool:

I have a friend who helps out in his church's youth group, and they still do those terrible parody t-shirts. I think I've seen one for every product possible. :v:

HateTheInternet posted:

ACTUALLY, it was the 19th floor.

I loved the Wayside series, and it really was incredibly surreal and smartly written. My favorite kid was Todd, who always seemed completely at peace with the fact that he got sent home early on the kindergarten bus every single day.

My favorite was the kid who would draw hundreds of terrible pictures a day, until she (he?) decided to spend a year drawing a single picture of a cat.

I need to get a copy of these books for my nephews when they're old enough. I already got some Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark tucked one. And they have the GOOD pictures. :colbert:

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Coffee And Pie posted:

My brother-in-law just posted a picture on Facebook of a mall directory from the 90s, which brought back a lot of memories. I think one thing from the 90s that doesn't really happen anymore is the whole idea of a "mall culture," kids don't really hang out at the mall in this day and age. Then again we have a tiny, lovely-rear end mall, so that just might be my area.

It's your area. I know every Friday and Saturday my mall is still crawling with teenagers that hang out there all day.

Buh posted:

I do remember being afraid of the other game in the series: Midnight Rescue!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCrEB73Mgrs
Oh god what if robots appear out of nowhere in the middle of the night what if that

gently caress Midnight Rescue! The grey robot scared the poo poo out of me!

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Son Conan posted:

The talk about Animorphs earlier (which I sadly never got into, despite the awesome covers) reminded me of this series (which I absolutely LOVED):

Each book was a collection of mini-mysteries, with Mr. Boddy always being killed in the last story (only to explain how he survived in the introduction of the next book). Most of the mysteries dealt with which one of the guests managed to get away with Boddy's latest treasure (all while trying to kill each other), usually through process of elimination, such as deducing each character by what weapon they have or their own unique personality quirks (Col. Mustard always challenged people to duels, Mrs. Peacock was extremely prim & proper, etc.). Heck, one of my favorite things to do was to get out our family's CLUE game and act out each story to aid in figuring the mystery out.

I can still remember how bummed I was when they stopped producing them (there were 18 books total, and I still have them on my bookshelf).

I loved these books too! Then again I grew up watching the Clue movie so I always pictured the movie cast as the book characters.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

FetalDave posted:

Pogs. You were only cool if you had an awesome slammer though.

The poor kids at my school would put stickers on cardboard and cut a circle around it. :(

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Rahonavis posted:

E: Who were only outdone in terms of action figure spinoff lines created by people who had to have been on drugs by the truly bizarre "Jurassic Park" Chaos Effect.

I love this. "We've run out of marketable dinosaurs! I know! We'll make some weird combos and then paint them neon colors! GENIUS!"

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
Speaking of weird 90's poo poo, can everyone please turn your eyes to this Burger King video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2raNFYvDB0

Was this only in certain locations? I can't imagine Burger King having full blown dinners with people waiting on you. And popcorn! But I have the oddest, faintest memory of it so maybe at least the commercials were shown places?

e: I do remember the Wendy's Super Bar!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4iQq4oTcmI

I loved this thing when I was little. I got to pick out whatever food I wanted to eat, and then I got chocolate pudding for dessert! :3:

Wandering Knitter has a new favorite as of 01:17 on Apr 7, 2012

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

OldMemes posted:

I remember reading that these were planned to tie-in with a Jurassic Park TV Show that never got made. After the show was scrapped, they just released them anyway.

The TV show would probably have been insanely awful.

Or absolutely amazing, depending if you were between the age of 7-10 when it came out.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Rahonavis posted:

Anyone else remember that one time Garth Brooks wanted to write some songs in a different genre and so he created a fictional dead alternative musician, like you do, and recorded all the songs in-character as him, and even planned on making a biographical film before the project bombed spectacularly?

Now I do. :psyduck: Holy poo poo, memory is a weird thing.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

DrBouvenstein posted:

From 1997 - 2001, every senior class awards ceremony, or "banquet", or whatever you call it, ended with a slide show or PowerPoint presentation filled with pictures of the graduating seniors (a mix of candid shots, yearbook photos, and kid/baby photos) set to "Good Riddance (Time of Your Life)" by Greenday.

Every. Single. One.

I got an even better one. Back in the 90's a local town's little league won the national championship. So to celebrate a radio station made their own remix of "Good Riddance" that spliced in sound clips of parents and kids cheering and congratulating the team.

They also made a remix of "Who Let the Dogs Out" featuring the state hockey team.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

redmercer posted:

I don't remember all that well, but I'm pretty sure you could also add Vitamin C's "Graduation Song" to that. I'm pretty sure that's why Canon in D gives me hives.

Don't forget those few years where that "Always Wear Sunscreen" song would be on the radio constantly from May through July.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
It was the day the dinosaur came to life!
He gave the poor farmer a terrible fright!
He stood just up, and shook the dirt off his skin and said-

(:v:)

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

DEMAG posted:

Before silly bandz there were Slap braclets.

They tried bringing these back last year. But they were covered in silicone so there was no chance of horribly injuring yourself like in the old days.

Needless to say it didn't catch on. :colbert:

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Son Conan posted:

I'm glad to know that I wasn't the only person who remembered this.

To contribute:

Slayers

Before I discovered the Discworld series, this was my definition of "comedic fantasy." Heck, the second season's opening theme is still one of my favorites.

I remembered that I had to order the first Slayers tape from some weird sketchy magazine because it was the only way to get anime back then.

Unless you watched the Saturday Morning Japanimation Domination on the Sci Fi channel! :black101:

God I think I've seen Project A-ko a few thousand times thanks to that.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
Every weekend during the summer as a child I would go visit my cousins and marvel at their early 90's computer. They even had video games on their computer! We would sit together in their musty basement pouring over their extensive puzzle/adventure game library in an attempt to beat them all. So let me just take a moment to say

gently caress that King, gently caress that yeti, AND gently caress THAT loving PIE! :argh:

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

omgwtfitszee posted:

I seem to remember back in the '90s (or very early 2000) when the Rugrats or other Nickelodeon cartoons had a deal where if you went out and got this pair of cheapo 3D glasses from the packaging of some food item (I'm thinking Doritos or some sort of snack food), you could watch Rugrats/other Nick cartoon episode in 3D. I seem to remember it being a HUGE deal, too. Anyone else remember this?

I remember they did this with the 3rd Rock From the Sun finale too. You could get a pair of 3D glasses with BARQS ROOTBEER (the one with bite) and watch it in 3D!!!

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Inzombiac posted:

Legend of Kyrandia

Was the best adventure game outside of LucasArts because it didn't give a poo poo if you won, you could die all over the place and you could beat the game ina matter of minutes if you knew what you were doing.

It wasn't until I was 22 that I learned that you could place fireberries on the cave floor and they wouldn't burn out.

God loving drat it.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

magic pantaloons posted:

Push Pops were like Ring Pops. Great idea, but you get sick of it halfway through and you end up with this goo-covered pop you really can't put anywhere without ruining it. :(

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
You know what I don't miss from the 90's? Terrible YA books! Sure there was Goosebumps and R.L. Stine and all of the cool "scary" books. But all of the others were the same 'sounds cool but really were to teach you an important lesson.

"Oh know! There's an evil fortune teller living down the hall! Oh wait, she's really a kind lonely old woman who just needs a friend".

"Eww, Dad's making us eat gross stuff for breakfast! Oh wait, he's really just trying to make us eat health and live active lifestyles."

"Aliens kidnapped us! Oh wait, they just want to teach us how important it is to be kind to each other and that war is bad."

Another thing I noticed? If the main character is a boy his best friend/dog will probably die. If the main character is a girl she'll get her first period. Every time!

I read so many terrible books when I was young. :smith:

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

coop52 posted:

That reminds me of a show I used to watch called Kidsongs. I kind of feel sorry for making my parents sit through this crap. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeXpwFNLOAU

Just seeing the word "Kidsongs" was enough for me to remember all of the words to the themesong. :stare:

God drat it brain.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

magic pantaloons posted:

My eyes hurt from looking through Magic Eye photos on the internet.

I remember when these first came out and there was a store in the mall selling large prints of them for hundreds of dollars.

Then a few years there where everywhere dirt cheap. I just wonder who the hell shelled out $500+ for a poster.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

magic pantaloons posted:

Star Castles. I had the one on the left.

edit: All this talk reminded me of that Art Magic magazine that use to buy every week as a kid. It had a magic eye on the back of the cover. I cite it as one of my influences on studying a fine arts degree.

I had the one on the right. I just completely forgot until I saw this picture. :psyduck:

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Tewratomeh posted:

This song. This loving song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJrCkB9zzEo

Try and sing along, without looking the lyrics up.

Every time I hear this song it makes me think of summers as a child. :unsmith:

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
Oh man, American Doll. I spent so many hours of my youth pouring over the magazine. I didn't like the dolls. Or the stories. No, I loving loved the furniture. Back then they had amazing handmade pieces of furniture that won my little girl heart. I remember this one bedroom set made out of a nice dark wood I wanted more than anything.

Then the company was bought out and the furniture looks like crap now. :sigh:

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

WebDog posted:

I always wonder how women didn't spend their childhood in fear from glassy eyes boring into their souls from the top shelf. And how did you not get bored of these? Batman had grappling action and rockets. At best Barbie could get her face chewed off by the new dog and was utterly ruined. Batman on the other hand gained battlescars.

I didn't really own dolls as a kid, but my collection of My Little Ponies would have full scale wars with my brother's dinosaur toy collection. :v:

And it's not 90's, but let's take a moment to marvel at Gwen.

She's a Homeless American Doll girl that costs $95. She's so poor she only comes with one accessory: The hairband that can also be a belt! :allears:

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

madlilnerd posted:

I hated big dolls and baby dolls (CREEPY), but boy did I love my Barbies. From what I remember I spent most of my time making them gently caress and argue though. They were always fighting.

I'm pretty sure every girl growing up had a slightly older friend demonstrate where babies came from using Barbies. :v:

You lay a naked Ken on top of a naked Barbie and then a baby comes out! :downs:

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Aceofblue posted:

Sky Dancers!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETCLxxA8G_0

My friend and I would get into so much trouble letting these off into their fancy foyer with a 20ft ceiling. :v:

Don't forget the Sky Dancers cartoon!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKpjz-_LTjQ

Sadly the plot doesn't involve the Sky Dancers slamming into things to destroy them.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

JediTalentAgent posted:

I swear, MTV was the BEST from about 1990-1996. They had the right mix of content and quality. I keep trying to figure out what killed MTV for me, and know there seemed to be a big shift in the MTV stuff around 1996-97 with Spice Girls and Puff Daddy, then Britney and the rest. Then we get Woodstock '99 and it's official: The good times are over.

The Real World killed MTV. Because after that followed the first trickle of "reality" shows. There was Road Rage, and Singled Out, and probably a dozen more I'm forgotten. They kept adding more shows and bumping off music. :smith:

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Rahonavis posted:

If this is real, then this is amazing.

I thought it was real, but I can't find any proof that it got out of the planning phase and was actually sold. Shockingly enough people weren't happy at the idea of an expensive homeless doll. :v:

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
Look at these scrubs not using Dogpile. Don't know it uses multiple web browsers at once? :smug:

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Brick Frog posted:

Late in the afternoon, when only about half an hour of class remained, my third grade teacher Mrs. Juran would read this aloud for our class. I thought it was going to suck. "just look at that cheesy cover art. An alien with green skin and red eyes? What is this, the 50's?" I was so wrong. This book made me realize why grown-ups were always going on and on about books and reading. I loved that book, and apparently it was the first installment of a series of books. I never read any of the other ones. :smith:

Don't bother. Like so many other books of the era it fell in the same trap of it becoming super preachy. All I remember about the last book was everyone standing around going "Wait...War is BAD? :aaaaa:"

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

bean_shadow posted:

I loved Bruce Coville's books! I liked his magic shop books, like "Jeremy Thatcher, Dragon Hatcher". And "Jennifer Murdley's Toad".

Was the toad one the book where the villian constantly spewed rats and bugs while she talked, so to eat around it she simply ate the vermin before they could leave her mouth?

You don't get kids books like that anymore. :v:

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Non Serviam posted:

As for pure 90's CGI, I give you Stephen King's The Langoliers. It's the final scene, so SPOILER ALERT!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sd7ALKWFEsc

I remember this being the first real "scary" movie allowed to see when I was ten or so. I got to show off to my classmates since no one else was allowed to see it. :smug:

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Saint Seafoam posted:

This poo poo was so popular growing up and if you didn't have one on your backpack in elementary school, you were a loser. They were big, bulky keychains that had dinosaur dioramas on the inside that moved when you opened it. Of course being a kid and playing in the sandbox it inevitably got full of sand and jammed the machinery so it didn't work anymore, but god forbid you get rid of it.

Holy poo poo. :stare: I had a dinosaur one. My sister had one with dolphins. I think my brother had one with gorillas. My God, I haven't thought of those in like twenty years but it's all coming back.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Whispering Machines posted:

OMG that Littlest Pet Shop stuff brings back so many memories. I think I had every single one you posted! Awww. I loved those things.

Me too. They were the last toys I had before I 'grew up' and got rid of all of them. I'm sure I had almost all of them, but the one I loved the most was the chameleon. Sometimes I debate buying one off of ebay but I just can't spend $30 on an old toy. :smith:

I also had a green one, but all of the ones I find are orange. :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
I vaguely recall that KB Toys had a "rival" chain of toy stores (not Toys R Us) but for the life of me I can't remember what it is. All I remember is that KB Toys at the local mall had worse toys, but better NES games than the other store.

• Locked thread