Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Your Sledgehammer posted:

These guys are the Alpha and Omega of the campy 90's, and I will still remember them fondly when I am a shriveled old man.

I don't recall their collars ever being that thick in the show. Incidentally, I still have my original Ultrazord. :iia:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Rocketlex posted:

Holy hell, my phone can do all that! Makes me wish I had an older sister to irritate.

HI KIDS WE'RE HOME EARLY!

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

nickhimself posted:

Bitch please

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNdhH0U5U2U

IS NOT

Nay nay. The better versions came later. Those let you warp your voice, play it backwards, play sound effects. All good fun.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

nickhimself posted:

Oh for sure, the cooler yellow and black yak back that had radical voice warping was totally tubular

I wish I could remember the name of that one voice changing toy that was basically a collapsible megaphone. Mine was blue with an orange cone.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Always liked it more than Smallville.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Lovie Unsmith posted:

Has anybody mentioned Gargoyles yet? I always wondered whatever happened to this show:

The final season got a bit bizarre, if I remember correctly.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Looper posted:

Speaking of rad kiddy games, I played so much Humongous Entertainment stuff. Spy Fox, Pajama Sam, Freddie Fish, though I think this was probably my favorite.

Pep was the best.

Those games kicked copious amounts of rear end. Good adventure games that didn't constantly screw you over like the Sierra classics.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~
Spy Fox was my personal favorite. Mostly because of all the COOL SPY GADGETS! :swoon:

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

H.H posted:

What?!

Motherfucker, you just blew my mind. I am speechless here. The obvious solution is to rewatch the show in its entirety.

Oh, but by rewatching the show you're merely getting trapped in the cycle again. Since Max loses the final confrontation and is forced to jump back to the very beginning of the series to try again.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Sir Prancelot posted:

Every time I visit my parents, a small part of me hopes to find this thing among the piles of junk. :unsmith: I would ironically use it for years and years.

I still have mine in a box somewhere. Nothing better than waking up to the Nickelodeon jingle and slamming that giant red button to snooze.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~
The problem with Animorphs was that it went on far too long to keep its original audience, and then there were too many books for a generation of non-readers to get into.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

I kinda miss the pre-credits PSAs every popular cartoon would run. Can you imagine Spongebob or whatever the kids like these days doing a serious 30 second PSA after every episode?

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Sombrerotron posted:

The rebellious GENERATION X (or is that Y?) undertone says it all. I love the fact that the dance track makes the whole thing sound like something from the demoscene (another quintessentially '90s thing).

I still don't understand if I'm supposed to be a Gen X-er or not.

No wait, I just checked Wikipedia as I was typing this and apparently Generation X ends no later than 1982. So most of us are probably Generation Y.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Vanderdeath posted:

I loved the hell out of EWJ and the only reason I don't wish for a new game is because Doug Tennapel, the creator of the series, is a truly terrible human being. :(

Elaborate. Wikipedia doesn't say anything about any nefarious deeds.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Onic posted:

I can't be the only one who watched the single season of SuperHuman Samurai Syber-Squad.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superhuman_Samurai_Syber-Squad

That show was 90s as all hell.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N34MmqmxqD0

For the life of me, I can't find any good images of the sword and shield toy that came out of that series. I remember it being so awesome to play with.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Sir Prancelot posted:

I had this, too! :toot:

So THAT'S how it worked. I remembered they could combine to make a bigger cooler sword, but I didn't remember how. Now it's plain to see.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Ballin Stalin posted:

Anyone else remember this song coming on before their Saturday morning cartoons? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atHUYWL1eIU

Heh, try farther back.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~
Speaking of One Saturday Morning, that reminds me of one of my favorite cartoon openings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHcOPcM0hJU

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~
I think DBZ and Sailor Moon were the first real "anime" animes to hit real nationwide network television though. Obviously before that you had stuff like Transformers, Voltron, etc, but those were the first ones with magical girls, BEAMS, and :byodood: POWER LEVELS

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

RadioactiveKid posted:

I was way into Power rangers and power Rangers ripoffs like:

Big Bad Beetleborgs

VR Troopers

Which reminds me, nothing was more 90's than "virtual reality". It was everywhere from movies like Lawnmower Man, to games like Nintendo's Virtual Boy.

:eng101:

The tokusatsu shows used for Beetleborgs and VR Troopers are actually from the Metal Heroes line, which is fundamentally different from Sentai/Power Rangers. VR Troopers used stock footage from a few different shows, most notably from Superhuman Machine Metalder which was based on the classic Kikaider series that was briefly aired on Toonami late in its lifetime.

Beetleborgs and Beetleborgs: Metallix were created from two concurrent series, Heavyshell Beetle Fighter and Beetle Fighter Kabuto, that actually were more like sentai rip-offs compared to the earlier Metal Heroes shows. Beetleborgs was forced to end when they simply ran out of stock footage to use. I really liked Beetleborgs and had quite a few of the toys.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

OrangeKing posted:

You can now get Daytona USA on the XBox 360 through XBox Live Arcade!

On the subject of Power Rangers copy cats, the one I remember best -- though I was really too old to get into any of them by the time it was on -- was the Mystic Knights of Tir Na Nog. It was an attempt at making an original series rather than just important lots of Japanese footage, and had an Irish mythology theme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGQY9ZJPnsg

I don't believe it was very good.

It actually wasn't that bad, even if it did borrow a few tropes from Power Rangers.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Metal Loaf posted:

I remember how, when Dragon Ball Z became a massive hit for Cartoon Network, Fox Kids decided they would try to replicate its success by showing Sailor Moon. Accordingly, their advertising tried to sell it as some sort of shonen action show. Nickelodeon did the same thing when they got Cardcaptor Sakura. Fox Kids also broadcast Vision Of Escaflowne, which in retrospect seems like kind of an odd choice.

They had better luck with Digimon, of course.

I think most people remember DBZ and Sailor moon from back when they actually aired in syndication. Problem was, as most people recall, DBZ's syndicated episodes ended right before the episode where Goku finally went Super Saiyan. So you'd get right to the climax of the Namek saga and all of a sudden here comes Raditz again.

Fox Kids only aired part of Escaflowne before pulling the plug on it, which makes sense in retrospect. I think the last episode that aired ended with Van ripping open Hitomi's shirt to preform CPR. :v:

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Metal Loaf posted:

Really? While I know there were a few bits cut out here and there, I definitely remember seeing the whole series on Fox Kids.

Maybe it was only the UK Fox Kids?

Probably. I never saw another episode of Escaflowne on TV after that episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Metal Loaf posted:

The other anime series I remember seeing on Fox Kids in the 1990s was Shinzo. I can't remember very much of it, but it seemed pretty generic.

There were quite a few, but most of them were nothing special. Fox Kids didn't actually really start airing anime until 2000.

• Locked thread