Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

Triskelli posted:

TRISKELLI 2025

Fixed that. I'm glad you guys are serving up some entertainment during this downtime. This should be the only time the game waits on a vote. Further policy maker votes will not pause the game, as it were. The decisions those PMs would be making will just be made by their superiors until someone is voted in.

Research update coming this evening, then maybe a Leaders update if I can fit it in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

A RICH WHITE MAN posted:

LIES AND SLANDER

I said no such things! A RICH WHITE MAN has resorted to mudslinging and defamation to support his campaign. Such an underhanded display is displeasing to say the least, and reveals how subversive my opponent truly is! Can you, the good people, elect such a duplicitous individual to office?

I have never attempted to hide my beliefs, nor stooped to such a level. My beliefs are solid, my faith is strong. With a backbone of moral fortitude, the United Nations will claim its rightful place once more.

(This message brought to you by the 2025 Triple-Leg Foundation)

*EDIT*

^^^No problem, bgreman. It's always a treat to get in a good-natured shouting match

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Mar 29, 2012

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Triskelli posted:

I said no such things! A RICH WHITE MAN has resorted to mudslinging and defamation to support his campaign. Such an underhanded display is displeasing to say the least, and reveals how subversive my opponent truly is! Can you, the good people, elect such a duplicitous individual to office?

I have never attempted to hide my beliefs, nor stooped to such a level. My beliefs are solid, my faith is strong. With a backbone of moral fortitude, the United Nations will claim its rightful place once more.

I think the real hot button issue this campaign is one that we're all thinking but are too afraid to say, well never let is be said that Jimmy4400 nav is afraid to ask the tough question.

What we need to ask the candidates is what their position is on Human/Alien Marriage?

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Jimmy4400nav posted:

What is your position on Human/Alien Marriage?

My opponent is notorious for changing his political views on a whim to suit the political mood. He's like an Etch-A-Sketch: Shake him up and you can start all over again.

I on the other hand accept a higher council when it comes to such matters. Marriage is defined as a sacred union between a man and a woman. Not man/man, not woman/woman and certainly not man/alien. Such an institution is affront against God, and against common morality.

Would you want to inflict such a family on any child, alien or otherwise? Where they have such an unbalanced home, and face the endless mocking mocking of their peers? Could you imagine an adopted human child, unable to play ball with his dad because he had his face eaten off?

Those in favor of legalizing Human/Alien Marriage say that they were born this way, and they are unable to change it. I believe it's mind control, and we must do everything in our power to prevent the corruption of both our morals and our species.

A RICH WHITE MAN, your thoughts on the matter?

*EDIT*
What happens in the slim chance that this vote results in a tie?

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Mar 29, 2012

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures
Lord Windy
Ynkling
Jimmy4400nav
Puistokemisti
That's just to maintain status quo for the current leaders, for the fifth, I'm going to vote for Triskelli, on basis that he seems like keen young lad who is not afraid of some work, which means that I have to work less.

Althought his stance on blue alien babe rear end is regretable.

loving everyone posted:

Pistokemisti
:byodood:

Triskelli posted:

What happens in the slim chance that this vote results in a tie?
Thunderdome.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Puistokemisti posted:

Althought his stance on blue alien babe rear end is regretable.

Whoa, wait.

There are babes in space? I thought there were only tentacle monsters and Romans wearing blackface. Hold up...

Oh.

OH!

Well hell, if these things are out there, then I might need to rethink my opinions on the matter. Still I never said there was anything wrong with having a blue alien girlfriend was a problem: The government has no right to pry into an individual's private affairs. I merely urged you to think how such a situation might effect any children raised in such a family. It is the role of we Policy Makers to preserve the traditions and identity of Mankind in the face of this impending influx of aliens.

Vote for Triskelli, and I assure you we will prevent any illegal entry to the system, and safeguard the jobs of hardworking men and women throughout the U.N.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Any scientist with the right background can brew his own booze.

What do you mean electrolytes aren't used for brewing booze? That's silly!

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer
Ah, another Aurora game. Gotta get in on this somehow.

Make me a Researcher, bgreman!

And here are my votes.

Lord Windy - Laser cannons are the future! Work towards the future! And give us huge research grants.
Ynkling - Has some ideas. Let's see where he'll take them...
Pistokemisti - Seems a likeable chap. SURE, LET'S VOTE FOR HIM.
Jimmy4400nav - Well, I guess every government needs someone who can ask the hard questions. (and knows the system)

Alas, sorry A Rich White Man and Triskelli, I cannot in good conscience vote for either of you! Had you only known your target audience. Sadly, these aren't -merely- United States politics, where rampant capitalism, mud-slinging rhetorics and televised adverts sponsored by multi-national corporations would have won you a guaranteed spot in this new institution. These are the United NATIONS in which we are to have pride!

:911::hf::australia::hf::britain::hf::canada::hf::denmark::hf::france::hf::mexico::hf::norway::hf::spain::hf::sweden: etc. etc.

I encourage the chosen ones to go forth and show us the TRUE power of UN goon bureaucratic inefficiency! Make poignant comments on the world populations state of welfare and health, complete with made-up qualified scientific statistics, and argue the state of the planet and its newly found and already-diminishing resources, or the inalienable right of sentient beings to not be oppressed in any way shape or form (unless it's to protect those very rights or we can spin it).

In short, present us the future and progress of mankind as he takes to the stars under an ordered, just and UNITED banner, and make fools out of us the Russian-Indo-China power bloc!

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

((OOC: Okay, politics aside, I want us to get a geosurvey ship to Mars as soon as we can. Mainly to fufill the dreams of myself and people everywhere, but also because there's always SOMETHING on Mars to find. In every work of fiction there's some ruins or abandoned installation that lets us jump straight into the galactic stage. Everything else is bluster and saber-rattling.

If elected, I'll probably throw my influence into making sure we explore as far as we can, and have the best ship designs possible. I'll let others decide when to make war and how to exploit what we discover))

*EDIT*

Also, aren't the Policy makers being split up into 5 distinct spheres of influence? As in, one dictates military strategy, one decides research, etc?

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Mar 29, 2012

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

Triskelli posted:

Also, aren't the Policy makers being split up into 5 distinct spheres of influence? As in, one dictates military strategy, one decides research, etc?

Not as such. The five who are elected now are basically the bosses of the UN. They decide overall policy and strategy by majority vote, and then give orders to policy makers further down the line (UN Head of Research or UN Head of Industry, or whatever).

Until those positions are created and filled, the UNEC makes all the decisions.

That said, there is absolutely nothing stopping the UNEC members from choosing to organize themselves this way.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Triskelli posted:

Just completed a quick tally of votes so far, and here's the current polling results:

Lord Windy: 8 votes
Ynkling: 8 votes
Pistokemisti: 7 votes
Jimmy4400nav: 7 votes
A RICH WHITE MAN: 5 votes
Triskelli: 5 votes

At this point the contest is between me and A RICH WHITE MAN. I'd also like to take this time to remind everyone that I stand for expansion and exploration of the universe, now that we are able to do so. It is time to realize those dreams of the future we had so long ago. If elected, I promise a jetpack in every garage and a Martian turkey-beast on every table.

TRISKELLI 2012

Because I'm a very busy man, packing and getting ready for a move across the world's second largest country, politics may not seem an interest of mine.

Well BOLLOCKS I say.

Lord Windy
Ynkling
Jimmy4400nav
Triskelli

Because gently caress rich white men despite being white and male.

Jaramr
Dec 16, 2010
Wow, I want to get into this game so hard, but it is so complicated.

I am voting for the usual suspects Lord Windy Ynkling Pistokemisti Jimmy4400nav and throwing in my vote for Triskelli

Also I suggest that we create a space faring :canada: ship as soon as possible, staffed entirely by Canadians, and commanded by Naval Officer Jaramr

Ynkling
Mar 22, 2012

For these reasons I vote for granting UN membership to our moon.

Triskelli posted:

...I want us to get a geosurvey ship to Mars as soon as we can. Mainly to fufill the dreams of myself and people everywhere, but also because there's always SOMETHING on Mars to find. In every work of fiction there's some ruins or abandoned installation that lets us jump straight into the galactic stage.

All planets and moons in near Earth orbit will likely be prime real estate, strategically speaking, and perhaps especially Mars because it might serve as a colony to drive some of those nice manual mines.

What do we all feel about ICBMs on the Moon?

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Ynkling posted:

While a stellar concept, I'm not sure an "Inter-Continental Ballistic Missile" is designed to make the trek to the Earth from the Moon. Putting a couple Trans-Newtonian Missiles might be a good idea though.

Ynkling
Mar 22, 2012

I'm not paid to think, I'm paid to...

Let's move on.

So the chief mode of movement of supplies over large distances is with mass drivers (?), and these work better when there's one on receiving end as well as the supplying end. An automated mine and a mass driver on the moon might be useful, therefore, for accepting mineral packets from the solar system (lightening our future Earth-bound mass drivers' work load), and sending packets to the Eurasian Federation.

Can mass drivers be sabotaged?

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

Ynkling posted:

I'm not paid to think, I'm paid to...

Let's move on.

So the chief mode of movement of supplies over large distances is with mass drivers (?), and these work better when there's one on receiving end as well as the supplying end. An automated mine and a mass driver on the moon might be useful, therefore, for accepting mineral packets from the solar system (lightening our future Earth-bound mass drivers' work load), and sending packets to the Eurasian Federation.

Can mass drivers be sabotaged?

A few notes:

Mass drivers can ONLY launch and capture mineral packets, so they're only useful for moving around mining output.

You can't target someone else's population with your mass drivers.

There is no in-game mechanism for mass-driver sabotage, but SM mode is basically made for situations that the game doesn't handle natively.

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.

bgreman posted:

A few notes:

Mass drivers can ONLY launch and capture mineral packets, so they're only useful for moving around mining output.

You can't target someone else's population with your mass drivers.

You're telling me that you can honestly build a colossal space railgun that whings around 10-ton ingots of stuff, but we can't ever weaponize it or even aim it threateningly.

How literally Tantalizing.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

Ceebees posted:

You're telling me that you can honestly build a colossal space railgun that whings around 10-ton ingots of stuff, but we can't ever weaponize it or even aim it threateningly.

How literally Tantalizing.

On December 24th, 2024, representatives from the UN and the Eurasian Federation signed the Ceebees Accord, which effectively proscribed the weaponization of planetary bodies or bulk parts thereof.

:v:

Incidentally it is possible to bombard a colony using mass drivers, now that I've just checked. You need to first establish your own colony on the body, set up a mass driver there, set the destination for some mining colony's mass driver as the colony you just established, then disassemble or move the mass driver on the target off-world. Mass driver impacts, like nuclear explosions, cause dust and radiation to spread on the entire system body, not just the target population.

bgreman fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Mar 29, 2012

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I unironically love this idea. Fighting galactic wars by throwing rocks at the other guy is exactly how things should happen.

Just imagine the saving on lasers research and wear and tear on assault pods.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010

Ynkling posted:

I like this plan, but I have a few small changes.

1. We replace ICBM with new age weapons
2. We defend those bases with loving HUGE LASERS!
3. Those lasers are actually Meson Cannons

Crassus posted:

Just imagine the saving on lasers research and wear and tear on assault pods.

Pfft, we can't fire rocks at ships.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Jaramr posted:

Also I suggest that we create a space faring :canada: ship as soon as possible, staffed entirely by Canadians.[/b]

Canadians already serve in quite a lot of U.N Positions already, just look at our brave boys from the north...

As for the rail guns and exploration, I agree that surveying our nearest bodies is quite important, I think in priority order, we should examine: The Moon, Mars and then Titan. Titan is quite far out, but its the furthest body in the solar system that can be colonized. Chances are it will have some good resources, and it will probably be near jump points, which will make it a strategic asset. Mercury and Venus may also have resources, but the infrastructure cost to establish bases there will be astronomical and gives us little net gain.

For the asteroids, we'll want to cherry pick the best ones and set up automated mines and rail gun flingers. This will require minimum manpower and give us a boon of resources. The Manpower we save can then be put to more industry and exploration.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

bgreman posted:

On December 24th, 2024, representatives from the UN and the Eurasian Federation signed the Ceebees Accord, which effectively proscribed the weaponization of planetary bodies or bulk parts thereof.

:v:

Incidentally it is possible to bombard a colony using mass drivers, now that I've just checked. You need to first establish your own colony on the body, set up a mass driver there, set the destination for some mining colony's mass driver as the colony you just established, then disassemble or move the mass driver on the target off-world. Mass driver impacts, like nuclear explosions, cause dust and radiation to spread on the entire system body, not just the target population.

Okay time for plan Go Galt everyone! Put all research into colony ships, which will let us take over and terraform Mars. Meanwhile, we build several mass drivers pointed at the Earth. Remove the one on Earth and RELEASE ZE MISSILES! That will take care of the plebe problem. Only then can we supermen take humanity to the next level! :smugbert:

Ynkling
Mar 22, 2012

bgreman posted:

Mass driver impacts, like nuclear explosions, cause dust and radiation to spread on the entire system body, not just the target population.

The more I think about this, the more I want to know about alternative modes of warfare in Aurora. Alternatives that don't turn my backyard into an irradiated hell-hole. I suppose the question is if we want to pursue a hostile attitude towards the Eurasian Federation or try peaceful coexistence, or to simply bide our time.

I agree with Jimmy4400nav that procuring the lion's share of TNE's in the solar system, and that quickly, is possibly the highest priority.

Slaan posted:

1. Move to Mars
2. Destroy Earth
3. Profit

This is certainly an idea. Probably not a good one.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
I suggest our first action in terms of research will be finalising our theory of Trans Newtonian Physics

Than I suggest we focus on building drones equipped with survey equipment and rockets to scout out the major features in the solar system so we can grab the choicest mineral deposits first.

Colonisation and Mars should only be considered once we have secured the mineral wealth needed for our industry!

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Our current goal should be securing a supply of TNEs that our industries desperately need.

The way I see it, we have two ways to do that, either restructing our conventional industry to proper TNE-equiped one or securing an extraterrestial source of them. Someone compile a report about the research requirements and cost/benefit analysis of both these scenarios, thank you very much.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Puistokemisti posted:

Our current goal should be securing a supply of TNEs that our industries desperately need.

The way I see it, we have two ways to do that, either restructing our conventional industry to proper TNE-equiped one or securing an extraterrestial source of them. Someone compile a report about the research requirements and cost/benefit analysis of both these scenarios, thank you very much.

Nose Goes :touches nose:

Although finding an extra terrestrial source would require us to have the research and infrastructure in place for FTL travel, and for that we'll need a TNE industry.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
I can't see why we can't do both.

On the home front, focus on converting our industry to specialised Construction, Mining and Fuel/Ordnance while letting Research, Shipping and Ordnance to manufacture and create ships to search the Solar System for the minerals to secure our future.

EDIT:

Did we want to also look at giving ourselves roles as well as being overall policy makers? I see that Bgreman mentioned it.

Like having Jimmy4400nav be head of Industry, Puistokemisti head of Resource Acquisition/Foreign Relation, Myself as Military Operations and Design (GOD-drat SPACE LASERS!), Someone else as Research and Biology (you can manufacture new species) and the other as Commercial Shipping, Design and Transport

That way we can vote on big picture things, and then decide on how we want them. We'll still be reliant on eachother, but we won't need to vote on every single thing so things will go faster

Lord Windy fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Mar 30, 2012

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Lord Windy posted:

Someone else as Research and Biology (you can manufacture new species)

Holy Crap, you can make whole new species!?!

Screw enslaving other races, we can just make our own manual labor force, just like Mesa in the Honor Harrington Series.

......I mean, slavery is bad, M'kay, we totally should not enslave other races or manufacture our own slave races, M'kay.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Lord Windy posted:

Did we want to also look at giving ourselves roles as well as being overall policy makers?

Seems like a good idea. I volunteer for Commercial Shipping, Design and Transport.

We really need to see what tech we have first before deciding a course of action. If we already have Nuclear Thermal Engines, we probably want to skip orbital platforms and go straight to building warships. They'd be more versatile and we would be able to move them out of range of any ground-based installations the Federation might construct.

...Actually, after looking at the fuel situation we probably should build a orbital platform just to be safe. However, let's only use one shipyard for now, so we can lay down a ship design as soon as one is available.

Ynkling
Mar 22, 2012

I am a fan of the new system as proposed by Lord Windy, and should we decide to take it up I'd like to take over the mantle of making newer and better tasting cats Research and Biology.

Granted that I don't know that much about the Aurora system and the direction bgreman's wants to take the game yet, but Foreign Relations and Military Ops. seem to be a little too sensitive for the five glorious policy makers to only get a big picture vote on. How about we include the right for any of the five to declare an event or object a point of interest to make it subject to an all inclusive vote? Or something.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

^^^Yeah.

I propose that any declarations of war or changes in foreign policy should require a majority vote (3 out of 5) in order to be put into effect. This should be few enough to keep decisions quick while still reflecting the goals of the group.

We need to develop some sort of budget too, so our spheres don't start competing with each other for resources. That could probably hold off until we get a better picture of our economic situation though.

Ynkling
Mar 22, 2012

It might just be best to streamline the voting process as the need arises - there's not been a single non-tutorial update yet!

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010

Ynkling posted:

Granted that I don't know that much about the Aurora system and the direction bgreman's wants to take the game yet, but Foreign Relations and Military Ops. seem to be a little too sensitive for the five glorious policy makers to only get a big picture vote on. How about we include the right for any of the five to declare an event or object a point of interest to make it subject to an all inclusive vote? Or something.

You have a point with military Ops

Why not Defence and Procurement rather than Military Operations and Design

That way we still have free reign preparing, but we can't just invade or launch missiles

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Sounds good to me, I'll take the helm of Industry and forge a future for the United Nations!!

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

State of the UN, 1st January 2025: Research

The UN's various affiliated research institutions currently sit idle, chomping at the bit to work on prestigious projects, especially those involving TNEs.

This pane gives an overview of the current research this colony is engaged in.
Total Research Facilities is the number of research facilities on this colony.
Base Research Rate per Facility is the number of research points each research lab contributes per year. It can be improved through research. UN research institutions currently provide 200 points per year.

The research gridview is fairly straightforward.
  • Current Research Project lists an acronym detailing the field of the research, and then the actual project name.
  • Project Leader is the name of scientist leading this project, as well as an acronym detailing his or her field of specialty, and her research bonus. This will be covered in further detail below.
  • Research Labs is the number of labs assigned to this project. Envision it as institutions collaborating on a project, like the various entities that contribute personnel and equipment to the LHC at CERN.
  • Annual RP is the base research rate times the number of labs, times the project leader's bonus. In this example, each lab generates 200 RP per year, there are twenty labs, and the leader has a 10% bonus. Therefore we have (200 * 20 * 1.1) = 4400.
  • RP Required is the total remaining cost of the research project, in RP.
  • Completion date is an estimate of the date the project will be completed. It is calculated in the same way as manufacturing completion dates: Time-to-complete, in years = (RP Required) / (Annual RP). In this case, Time-to-complete = 5000 / 4400 = 1.13 years, so the project would complete in February 2026.
  • Pause indicates whether the research is paused or not. This does not free up the project leader or the research labs, but does cease spending wealth on the research.

The buttons below the pane allow research projects to be Canceled (which removes the project from the Current Projects list, but does not erase any progress on the tech (it will be shown in the Available Research list as x/y, where y is the total cost and x is the remaining cost, both in RP)), and Paused. Add RL adds labs if any are available and the leader can accommodate more, and Remove Labs will return labs assigned to this project to the pool.

The Create New Research Project pane is where the magic happens on this screen. The combobox contains different research areas, and the gridview below it lists the available research projects within that field and its cost in RPs. Research projects also have a cost in wealth equal to their cost in RP. Ticking the Show Matching Scientists Only box filters the Scientist gridview on the right by those with a research bonus in the same field as the one selected on the left.

The Scientist Gridview contains a list (possibly filtered) of all research scientists. (I forget if this is empire-wide, or only the scientists on the colony, but I suspect the former). To being researching a project, select an available project on the left, a scientist on the right, enter a number of research labs in Allocated Research Labs and then press Create. Available Research Labs lists the total number of institutions present on the colony.

:siren:Confusingly, Delete has nothing to do with removing a currently active research project. Instead, it is used to delete research projects the player has created while designing new missiles, fighters, or ship components (for example, if you messed up the design and wanted to re-do it).

Scientist Stats
  • Scientist lists the name of the scientist. You can see a few of the goon scientists are already available.
  • Specialization is the field of research a scientist is best at. When a scientist leads a research project within his field of specialty, he applies four times his bonus modifier. A scientist with a 20% bonus modifier researching outside his field multiplies his labs annual RP output by 1.2. That same scientist working in his field multiplies it by 1.8.
  • Bonus is the scientist's research bonus modifier.
  • Max Labs is the maximum number of labs the scientist can supervise at once. Note that in some cases it may be more efficient to use a scientist with a lower modifier or off-speciality if he can command a larger number of labs.

Scientists, like most in-game characters, can improve their stats (bonus modifier and max labs) by actively engaging in their trade. Gamists say that running a scientist on a single lab on a long-term project is a good way to build his or her stats, but I prefer to just let the increases happen while the scientist is in the course of his regular duties.

The leftside textbox contains the description of the currently selected technology. The radio button beneath it acts as a filter for the Create New Research Project pane, allowing the display of Available techs (those that can be researched now), All Projects (all techs in the game, barring player designed components), Completed techs (those the player has already researched) and Completed (ex Start) techs (those the player has researched, minus the techs the player's race started with).

The rightside control allows the creation of a research queue. To add a tech to the queue, select a currently active research project, then a research project from the Create New Research Project pane. Pressing Queue will add the selected project to the queue, led by the scientist from the active research project, and with the same number of labs associated. Queue Top does the same, and moves the project to the top of the queue. Remove cancels the project from the queue, and the arrows allow the reprioritization of projects in the queue.

There is a research sharing mechanism as well, in addition to the one available via diplomacy:

Steve Walmsley via PM posted:

You receive tech from another power in the following situations:

1) If you have a research treaty with the power that developed the tech, you immediately receive that same technology.
2) If you are allied but don't have a research treaty, you get the tech prior to the one researched
3) If you have a trade treaty but don't have a research treaty, you get any tech in the same tech line that has a research cost less than one third of the research cost of the new tech
4) If your relationship is neutral but you share the same capital planet, you get any tech in the same tech line that has a research cost less than one third of the research cost of the new tech

Tomorrow, I will post the currently available techs and their descriptions, to give the Council something to mull over once it has been elected. Still working on that Leaders update as well.

bgreman fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jul 11, 2013

MagicBoots
Mar 29, 2010

How about we pump the atmosphere full of methane?
You put me on Cargo handling optimization?! I am the premier defense specialist in the entirety of the UN!
Don't you dare pull my funding!
You can't cut back on funding!
You will regret this!

Ynkling posted:

The more I think about this, the more I want to know about alternative modes of warfare in Aurora. Alternatives that don't turn my backyard into an irradiated hell-hole.

How about using terraformers to pump the atmosphere full of methane? No radiation and you already have the means of reversing it after your done :v:

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007

Can you recreate Star Wars-system by slapping some point-defenses into weapon platform?

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010

Puistokemisti posted:

Can you recreate Star Wars-system by slapping some point-defenses into weapon platform?

Of course!

It's almost my entire plan. Lasers on everything, doesn't matter what they are for, it can do with a laser on it.

DagPenge
Jun 4, 2011

Looks like our civilians are fine, thank god for the capitalist spirit!
Sign me up as a naval force commander, i have never tried this game before, but i have read alot about it. So i guess i'll be the arm chair admiral untill we get into a fight or two :)

Not sure what you want from a naval force commander (or if they have stats), but i can do a quick write up.

Commander DagPenge
A young and upcomming Commander who was serving on a naval air craft carrier as a officer when the syrian conflict raged. He was later promoted to submarine captain, since air craft carriers didn't make much sense without a steady supply of oil, later on when the submaries where being replaced with ICMB siloes, he was admitted into the Romney acadamy to train to command the UN space forces. This was due to his experience with aircraft carriers and missiles subs, which could prove valuable for space combat, since fighters and missiles might prove their worth once again.

Commander DagPenge is a proponent of missile and carrier task forces, stating that the range and power of these weapons will outclass any pure gunboat for years to come. He argues that a battlegroup build on the principle of naval carrier warfare will be superior in space just as it is on water and therefore task forces should be build around a few carriers or missiles ships with specialized escorts for shooting down enemy fighters and missiles.

DagPenge fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Mar 30, 2012

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Lord Windy posted:

Of course!

It's almost my entire plan. Lasers on everything, doesn't matter what they are for, it can do with a laser on it.

As lead energy weapons scientist, I can safely say that this is scientifically proven. Lasers do look prettiest when killing things! :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010

DagPenge posted:

Admiral DagPenge

Admiral DagPenge is a proponent of missile and carrier task forces, stating that the range and power of these weapons will outclass any pure gunboat for years to come. He argues that a battlegroup build on the principle of naval carrier warfare will be superior in space just as it is on water and therefore task forces should be build around a few carriers or missiles ships with specialized escorts for shooting down enemy fighters and missiles.

DagPenge, a maverick if I have ever seen one!

Missiles, really. They are so cold war. We barely even need to them to shoot down other missiles once we have good point defense.

I mean seriously, we can just strap some meson cannons to fast fighters while our battleships, escorted by point defence destroyers, play heavy backup.

Slaan posted:

As lead energy weapons scientist, I can safely say that this is scientifically proven. Lasers do look prettiest when killing things! :black101:

I foresee someone winning every single noble prize for awhile.

Even the peace one.

• Locked thread