Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

bgreman posted:

Sadly, this happened while washing dishes.

:negative:

Oh, right. Confused the detergent with the bucket of razors again.

We've all been there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Get well soon, fingat.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
I move to award a purple heart for bgreman, casualty of The Flatware Incident of 2016.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Volmarias posted:

I move to award a purple heart for bgreman, casualty of The Flatware Incident of 2016.

The final crime of 2016 against the human species.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES
I should note here that Steve messaged me back about an issue I had with moving the Hoplites to the BFM faction like I wanted to in order to more finely control them and was exactly right about how to resolve it. I should have done that weeks ago.

This way was kind of more fun though, since there was such an element of chance. There was every possibility that Beef was going to get blown up, and I was surprised when the bad-guy Hoplite was turned away by pressure from the other three.

In case anyone was wondering, the issue was that after I'd transfer the ships, the UN/Fed TGs would never show up on sensors, no matter how many times I turned the actives on and off, meaning I couldn't move the ships toward the UN/Fed or target them. It turns out that there's a table in the DB ("SensorCheck") that holds rows describing whether the contacts list needs to be updated for a given race in a given system. I took one of my backup saves, and as soon as I added a row for the BFM in K2 and advanced 5 seconds the contacts showed up just fine.

:negative:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

You're doing good work, rest assured we appreciate it!

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Indeed, it's honestly nice to have it back and in such an explosive fashion to boot.

Anyway for the record UNFI is appreciative of the chance to see Fed missiles in action and the potential to salvage the Hoplite. We are pleased that Beef survived his near miss with death and even happier that the arrogant bastard has been brought down a peg.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
You're doing amazing work BG, we really appreciate everything you do for our entertainment! :)

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Yep :)

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Crazycryodude posted:

Completely random fluff question that I've been meaning to ask for months but keeps slipping out of my mind - are we at the very least throwing some domes up over historical sites on the Moon, what with all this terraforming going on? I'd hate for the Apollo 11 landing site to end up at the bottom of a lake because we forgot to preserve it.

Added Space posted:

Well, I was the one board member pushing for terraforming the most, so yes. They're under observation domes filled with argon. The Moon also has a number of biodomes for research, preservation of the Saharan environment, and recreation. I made a lore post about it somewhere in the thread that I can't look up at the moment.

Added Space made sure the historical landing sites are preserved. The Apollo 11 site is under argon, however the original flag and Armstrongs Gold were recovered and are in the NASA Museum of Space Exploration at Cape Canavaral alongside the Apollo 16 Rover, the recovered Apollo 14 golf ball, the reassembled Surveyor 3, Spirit Mars Rover, and Vanguard 1.
Replicas of the recovered Apollo 11 artefacts are at the site since the flag had long faded and didn't look as impressive to tourists.

The Apollo 12 site is domed and kept in vaccuum but has a slightly elevated walkway around and through the site where space suited tourists can amble about, listen to the astronaut radio chatter and feel like they were there. The site has denied the Space Race Reenactment Society from doing a doing a flag planting role play. The SRRS has instead petitioned to perform a recreation of the historic moon landing and has approval to do so however the Chief Technical Officer wants to do a full mockup with chemical rockets from orbit but the Civilian Authority thinks it may be unsafe to do so with the denser atmosphere and insufficient control surfaces on the LM to maintain a controlled descent. Discussions are ongoing.

Apollo 14, 15, 16 and 17 are all domed centrepieces of small museum complexes and are surrounded by huge curved glass walls repeatedly covered in sticky fingerprints from visiting school groups.

Generally most of the crashed missions that have little to no remains other than a scorched crater have been cleaned up and a plaque installed for historical respect.

The various Russian Luna mission sites and Chang'e 3 generate a moderate amount of FEAN citizen tourism. Guang Han Gong, the Change'e 3 site has a small Confucian temple decorated with a jade rabbit motif nearby with gift shop selling figurines.

The Apollo 10 LM crash site is not domed but does have a well maintained and moderated facebook page, and is visited by over a hundred lunar hikers a year who aim to complete the Apollo grand tour. No vandalism has been reported however small souvenirs do get taken from time to time. Some are even returned.

All Lunar Laser Rangefinder retro-reflectors are still in place but active measurements ceased in 2035 as the atmosphere thickened enough to cause scattering and decrease return signal to be indistinguishable from noise.

The theft of Surveyor 7 has still not been solved.

Several late lunar and mars exploration artefacts are currently on tour around Earth as part of a "Trans-Newton Ten Years On. A new Era" exposition.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Also, bravo everyone. Its been years.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Ha, someone stole Surveyor 7, I forgot that. My money's on it being with our [X] tons of duranium.

Also, woah, the trans-Newtonian era is only 10 years old... this has got to be by far the most transformative period in human history. As if you couldn't tell from the colonizing other systems and talking to aliens while some squabble in Syria was the biggest thing in the news not all that long ago, I guess.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

Kommando posted:

Also, bravo everyone. Its been years.

This is all canon and should be immortalized in the wiki. Nice write up.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Apollo 1 fire was 50 years ago today.
RIP
Roger Chaffee
Virgil “Gus” Grissom
Ed White II

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Zeroisanumber posted:

Apollo 1 fire was 50 years ago today.
RIP
Roger Chaffee
Virgil “Gus” Grissom
Ed White II

:911:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

:confused:

Today is 9/27/37, that's closer to 70 years and today's not the anniversary.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
In the process of catching back up and I just want to say that the effort put into this LP is stellar. Maybe I oughtta get back into updating the wiki...

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

I finally got my new computer all set up, vacation is over, and hopefully I'll be read to push a brief update this weekend.

Innocent_Bystander
May 17, 2012

Wait, missile production is my responsibility?

Oh.
Here's hoping this marks the dawn of another wonderful golden age of cursing the Federation and petty bureaucratic squabbling!

Sparq
Feb 10, 2014

If you're using an AC/20, you only need to hit the target once. If the target's still standing, you oughta be somewhere else anyway.
Thanks for being so tenacious bregman! This is great.

Anta
Mar 5, 2007

What a nice day for a gassing
Oh, wow, this is still going? I remember signing up for some kind of missile base or something way back.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
I STILL HAVE MY RAW VIEWER

MOTHERFUCKERS YOU CAN TAKE CORNY AWAY FROM ME WHEN I'M COLD AND WORM EATEN

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Oh man, still chugging along. Great to see you're not abandoning this, BG.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

Anta posted:

Oh, wow, this is still going? I remember signing up for some kind of missile base or something way back.

You are now a UNIN Commodore, 4th in command in the recent operation in Klondike-Kagayan.

After spending 5 months at a Ghostbuster-class PDC, you were assigned to your first void command aboard the Samar-class DE UNS Midway in February of 2034. You received a promotion to UNIN Captain later that year, largely due to your extremely high Crew Training Rating (which is currently the third highest in the entire Fleet). This was followed by void postings to a variety of UNIN warships, culminating with your posting to the Gibraltar-B-class monitor UNS Rhodes in April of 2036. You were promoted to Commodore in October of 2036, about 11 months ago, the 7th such posting. You are now the 7th most senior of 9 UNIN Commodores.

I love when people come back and discover they've ended up in a high station. I wish Hurriness would show up and realize he commanded UNIN's most successful operation in its history.

Anta
Mar 5, 2007

What a nice day for a gassing

bgreman posted:

You are now a UNIN Commodore, 4th in command in the recent operation in Klondike-Kagayan.

After spending 5 months at a Ghostbuster-class PDC, you were assigned to your first void command aboard the Samar-class DE UNS Midway in February of 2034. You received a promotion to UNIN Captain later that year, largely due to your extremely high Crew Training Rating (which is currently the third highest in the entire Fleet). This was followed by void postings to a variety of UNIN warships, culminating with your posting to the Gibraltar-B-class monitor UNS Rhodes in April of 2036. You were promoted to Commodore in October of 2036, about 11 months ago, the 7th such posting. You are now the 7th most senior of 9 UNIN Commodores.

I love when people come back and discover they've ended up in a high station. I wish Hurriness would show up and realize he commanded UNIN's most successful operation in its history.

Ahahaha, oh wow, that's a rocket career! I'm reading through the thread now and I'm loving the saga of Beef so far.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Is the data viewer on the site still accurate? If so, I'm apparently living up to my eternal dream of being the skipper of a tiny little gunless collier ship :3:

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!
I'm like the captain of one of those Starfleet Explorer ships that never wants to be promoted to Flag Rank. I've been on the La Canela for ages.

Tactical_Torpedo
Feb 26, 2017

When all else fails?

FIRE EVERYTHING!

Then bravely run away.
Grimey Drawer
Been lurking around for a while, and got back into this a few months back. Finally managed to catch back up,

bgreman, can I go in the naval officer list? No preferences on skills or anything, although a position where I am likely to be atomized by spehss lemons would be appreciated.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Hey BGreman is there are guide somewhere on how to run multiple empire's like you do the Federation? I have been wanting to run a 'fleet commander' style LP where goons command a series of operations/scenarios I make.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

It's pretty straightforward in terms of setup, it's just that playing it is a lot of work (more than normal anyway). I've got one that I started recently that has four civs sharing Earth, and there's an official one on the Aurora forums by the dev who was playing a game with like 17 player-controlled civs.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Can you point me to the setup instructions, i've had a trawl of the forums but couldnt find anything that was what I was after.

Innocent_Bystander
May 17, 2012

Wait, missile production is my responsibility?

Oh.
Assuming you want to start a game in Sol, you set up a regular game, enter Spacemaster mode, go to the F9 system view, and generate additional empires as desired. You can set the update window to show updates of all player races to cut down on the headache, and you can switch using the empire drop-down on the F3 system view between all empires that know of that system or, (I think) with the ctrl-r dialogue. From there on it's a regular game but with more UI juggling.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

bgreman posted:

I'm on the Moon, running a missile base with an alien and a janitor. Anyone who actually put me in command of a ship should be fired, and anyone who gave me command of a ship with actual guns on it should be shot.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Drone posted:

It's pretty straightforward in terms of setup, it's just that playing it is a lot of work (more than normal anyway). I've got one that I started recently that has four civs sharing Earth, and there's an official one on the Aurora forums by the dev who was playing a game with like 17 player-controlled civs.

Gott in himmel :staredog:

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Mister Adequate posted:

Gott in himmel :staredog:

I don't think he got more than like a year or two into the game before he abandoned it. But yeah, it was 14 player races: http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?board=222.0

Argentina
Australia
Brazil
"Caliphate" (amalgamation of Arabic states)
Canada
Centauri Federation (independent human colony in Alpha Centauri, with weird Norse stylings)
France
Germany
Japan (complete with neo-imperial pseudofascistic flavorings)
Manchuria (tl;dr splinter state from China because the PRC dissolved or something)
Martian Union (independent Mars, with weird Roman stylings)
Russian Federation
United Kingdom
United States

It was really neat though, and he made an effort to play out different naval doctrines for each power. The Brazilians are a fleet heavy on kinetic weapons, the French have the best reactor technology and the best fuel efficiency, the Caliphate had a neat doctrine that was reliant entirely upon pocket carriers/assault craft/fighters, etc.

You can definitely tell from his writing that Steve has read some David Weber novels though.

The UK-Canada-Australia hugbox and Japan were pretty much the superpowers of this at the end, and surprise surprise the Caliphate got the worst and earliest beatdown.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Zeroisanumber posted:

I'm on the Moon, running a missile base with an alien and a janitor. Anyone who actually put me in command of a ship should be fired, and anyone who gave me command of a ship with actual guns on it should be shot.

do you watch bad movies with them

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

sebmojo posted:

do you watch bad movies with them

I ignore one and force the other to scrub me in the bath.

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
I'm still dead...and I'm loving it! :ghost:

Drone posted:

Manchuria (tl;dr splinter state from China because the PRC dissolved or something)

There's a running gag that in Steve's LPs China always gets dunked on. I guess in this one he decided to just start with them pre-dunked. :china:

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Tactical_Torpedo posted:

Been lurking around for a while, and got back into this a few months back. Finally managed to catch back up,

bgreman, can I go in the naval officer list? No preferences on skills or anything, although a position where I am likely to be atomized by spehss lemons would be appreciated.

:un:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Neophyte posted:

There's a running gag that in Steve's LPs China always gets dunked on. I guess in this one he decided to just start with them pre-dunked. :china:

I mean I guess I sorta understand it just on population size alone. Unless you balance out China by also including other supranational entities as factions (like instead of a United States player country, do a unified NATO or something), it can be harder to make a game where they don't just completely dominate.

In my last 2-faction test game to see if I could actually do something like this, I dialled back the Chinese industrial modifiers a fair amount and they still ended up in a dominant position.

The current 4-faction game I'm cooking up for fun in my spare time will probably just have China as the main superpower from the get-go. It's gonna be reality sooner or later anyway. :v:

• Locked thread