Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

This quickly shot up to the top of my podcast list. He's coming to San Jose in April, I'm considering going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Grant DaNasty posted:

I went to see him in Nashville earlier this month, but I kind of wish I went to his podcast taping the day before instead. His stand up is good and we had a good time, but I just really enjoy hearing him read questions and going off on tangents.

Exactly. I can see that he has three shows on one night, and a podcast another. I'm probably gunning for that podcast show. I plan on having a couple.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Hi all, I'm looking for an apartment, could you let me know the going rate for a condo on Greg Proops' dick?

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

bazaar apparatus posted:

Highlights from this week's episode:

-Greg discusses the silly reasons why certain books are being banned from libraries.

-Huge corporations are paying negative taxes.

-A lady heckles Greg about his hearing

Great show. I really regret missing it live, but I was wiped out and with another busy week coming. Hope he comes back to the Bay Area soon.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

HipGnosis posted:

Listening to the ep that went up today. L. Frank Baum should be included with great American writers.

Man that brings me back. Ozma of Oz was the first Oz book I ever read. I devoured the whole series the way kids go through Harry Potter or whatever today.

Searching for images of Jinjur mostly pulls up hideous fan art and cosplay, and a few low-res images from the book :(

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I wonder if he could be arsed to assemble his own literary canon on the spot. What's the 5-10 books he'd have every ignorant rear end in a top hat read at gunpoint? What about those who already pretty much agree with everything he says anyway?

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jun 9, 2012

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I've probably put this here before, time to put it here again:

http://whoselineonline.org/

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

DangerDummy! posted:

Kirby Puckett is an interesting topic,

I barely know who this guy is and have no interest in him at all. I hope Greg sticks to the Negro Leagues.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I thought it was the two or three vodkas he'd had before each placement. Once you start calling the waitress "pumpkin butter," you're not going to hold back on the ManGrate.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

If podcast anxiety is the price of having an extra long breakdown on the finer points of songs by the Shondells, it's a price worth paying. Unsubscribe something else that isn't perfect and beautiful.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Listening to 'Vapors' now. Anyone know off the top of their heads the title/author of the Oz article he quotes?

Only thing I was able to turn up was this article he wrote himself in 1996:

http://www.greg-proops.net/article39.html

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

This exactly, thank you. Christ, that sidebar, there's a reason why I never visit Gawker sites.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

urk the quack posted:

He just released another Film Club episode, this one one on "The Taking of Pelham 1 2 3". The various anecdotes he pulls about the people behind the movies, combined with his stories about watching cinema in the 70s are pretty interesting. If you think you'd enjoy that, I'd recommend all of the Greg Proops Film Club episodes.

Pelham has been sitting in my Netflix queue for a while, glad I waited this long. Should I watch the movie first, or is this like Rifftrax, where you watch it alongside the movie?

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

urk the quack posted:

Also, is the Netflix movie the original or the remake? You should really go out and find the 70s version with Walter Matthau. It's the one Greg discusses and it really is waaay better than the Travolta remake.

Oh, no friend. I was raised on old-rear end movies and I definitely have Greg's snobbery built in. I'm talkin' the Matthau one.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

"Hills" is without question the most rambling and self-indulgent thing he's put out so far.

It's great!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Ever so slightly related, I was bored tonight and found this:

http://www.bicyclecards.com/products/playing-card/bicycle-negro-leagues-deck

A special deck of cards celebrating the Negro League.

• Locked thread