Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
The Proopcast is one of my favorite things. I honestly feel bad about how much enjoyment I get out of it for literally no cost at all.

I really, really wish the dude would ever come to Connecticut. I'd go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Phone posted:

McDonald(s) is probably one of the better episodes that I've listened to. It's from August last year and it has a guest crowd appearance by John DiMaggio, who helps out during the Audible plug.

"Yay, booze!"

That was an amazing episode.

While listening to episode after episode can get dull due to Greg's complete and total lack of flex, the dude is so true to his beliefs that I can't help but find that Smartest Man In The World is the best podcast around.

I do kinda wish he'd have a guest person on from time to time. Hearing Greg and Colin or Ryan or any of Greg's other comedy friends would be phenomenal.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'd really like to get an episode where Greg does an ENTIRE Boring Preachy Part Show and just gets it out of his system for a few weeks. I'd also like to see the Pete Rose Monosode.

Have any of you ever had Greg read one of your emails? I tried a few times, but my stuff never got read.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Well, the most recent Vodkast, "Summers", basically sated my want for an all-"Boring Preachy Part". And he'll be doing a Pete Rose special in Philly soon. So, thanks for listening to my post, Greg!

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Under the vegetable posted:

I don't know man, so far this seems like an all-"Greg Destroys Hecklers And/or Anyone Who Decides To Speak" night.

It turns into Greg just rambling about various political topics, especially various women's rights issues. It was pretty awesome. When he doesn't do his usual structure, shows can be really fun.

Edit: Handsome Dead, he IS quite a bit older now. What, 20 years or so?

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Old Swerdlow posted:

It's "Dan Carlin's Hardcore History." It is an incredibly in-depth history podcast and I love it. He has something like over ten hours just on the fall of Rome.

http://www.dancarlin.com/disp.php/hh

Dan Carlin's political podcast, "Common Sense", is pretty sweet too.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Kyle Hyde posted:

I started listening to this podcast maybe a month or two ago while driving and it has quickly escalated to my favorite podcast ever. Greg has yet to be unfunny to me, even when talking about people and things I have no experience with. I even dig the boring preachy parts, partly because I agree with it all, but also because the Proopster comes across as a dude who has arrived at his political opinions through hours of research and critical analysis. I think especially these days that's so rare that I'd be delighted by it even if I disagreed with him.

After being a staunch listener and listening to every Smartest Proopcast, I have concluded that Greg gets a little tiresome after a while because he's always so damned worked up now. He's so upset at everything political, and sometimes I just wanna hear him ramble about old books and history like he would when the Proopcast was young.

I still love his boring preachy parts and feel like I've been getting a lot of my knowledge from the Proopmaster, but he can grate on me.

(My super entitled, spoiled, wealthy liberal friend hates the Proopcast and gets all defensive whenever I bash on Obama. :allears:)

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Beans really is a good episode, with the really long story about Greg's lovely hotel fire alarm adventure.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

bazaar apparatus posted:

Greg is the guest on this week's Nerdist podcast, if anyone cares to know.

But Chris Hardwick is a painfully annoying douchebag. :( I don't want to listen to him and his two buffoons.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

bazaar apparatus posted:

But...I like Nerdist :(

But Chris Hardwick sucks. :colbert:

Edit: I listened to a loooooooooooot of the Nerdist before realizing how much I hate Chris Hardwick. You might lke him, but I can't stand the man.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Brainbread posted:

She's as bad as a heckler! You can hear her laugh at every single joke, over everyone else.

There is laughter, than there is her hooting. Its real real bad bad.

She was super annoying and I was waiting for him to embarrass her.

It wasn't as good as I hoped.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'm listening to Balaclavas, the newest episode, and he reads aloud some of his novel, "My Fist has Two Dicks".

It's pretty bad.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'll go ahead and be the pariah, guys. I thought that was the lowest point in an episode where he went off on a long-as-gently caress Boring Preachy Part raging on America and topics that only Americans would really care about...

In Scotland.

C'mon, Greg. drat, dude. At least tailor your BPP to the audience somewhat.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

C-Euro posted:

Does anyone else dislike how the episodes seem to be getting longer and longer? The one that came out tonight is over two hours long :stare:

Nope. Totally on board for that.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Am I the only one who feels like Greg has gotten really bitter and political since the early days of the Proopcast? Back in the raspberry dawn days, he always seemed... Happier.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ches Neckbeard posted:

I think the whole legitimate rape situation and him being an incredibly vocal feminist set him off. Also the whole raspberry dawns days the show was still pretty infrequent so I don't think he felt as obligated.

It's not just the last five episodes, though. For a while, it's been like this. At least since the election, definitely.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mescal posted:

Earlier on, the podcast lived up to its title. Proops was imparting knowledge. I loved the occasional roman history stuff. I don't listen to his podcasts in their entirety any more. They're too long to be as bitter as they've become.

That said, see him live if you can. The shows seem to have a different tone when you're there in person.

Yeah, that's what I was tryin to get at. Greg never just talks about negro leagues baseball or ancient Egypt or anything anymore, it's always how Obama sucks, big business sucks, corporations suck...

I think OWS being jackbooted to death did a number on Greg.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Come on, Greg. Do a four hour show.

You know you want to. Just talk about Negro Leagues and books for three hours, then take questions.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

HipGnosis posted:

The Boring Preachy Part is the best part, you philistine.

I normally agree, but when he starts getting into recursive loops of rage, it just gets tiring, ya know?

I'm listening to Winters right now, and the first half-hour has been just baseball, negro leagues and jazz. Fantastic.

Edit: And literally three minutes later, he's railing against the media. Ha~!

rotinaj fucked around with this message at 16:00 on May 6, 2013

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Jeez, he must be getting really good weed these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Holy poo poo is this an unfocused episode. At least he's having fun so far! (40 minutes in)

• Locked thread