Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LeadRobot
Dec 9, 2010

Life's hard when your feet are the size of a house and also toxic.

Splicer posted:

A small piece of warpstone :unsmigghh:

Figured I'd save that one for after the party finishes our alarming short slide tumble from CG to CE.
If I'm going to mess around with warpstone I'd rather advance into a full-on Warlock first. I don't want to face those kinds of discipline checks and corruption without getting the most out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Emhak
Sep 11, 2005

We say there's no parting for us, if our hearts are conveyed to each other.
My group is maybe one or two sessions away from finishing our Star Wars campaign, and I am so looking forward to picking up our Warhammer game again. Ever since our party was inflicted with Chaos mutations, my plans of finding the Druids and learning their ways have actually gained some ground with the other party members, seeing as how they want to find some benevolent magic users who might know a way of reversing the corruption. They're probably not going to like it when we have to basically do some Park Ranger poo poo to get good with the Old Faith.

Son of Emhak
Sep 11, 2005

Never let your GM rope you into a game of Fantasy Battles with the possibility that if you win, it will reflect favorably on the RPG campaign. If the fate of the Realms of Men was in my hands, they wouldn't have made it past the Goblin Wars.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Has anyone here tried the Enemy Within campaign for the newest edition? I'm interested in running it for our group, and was wondering if I should just use the original books as a basis, or if the 60 dollar boxed set is worth it.

Son of Emhak
Sep 11, 2005

I love how my party came into the town of Stopover, with the plan to 'lay low' for a while and let one of our party members recover, and maybe earn some gold solving a rash of disappearances. Then in the course of investigating the disappearances, two of our party members murder the brother of the owner of the inn where we are staying.

Sure he was a necromancer, but after everything was said and done, they had the gall to ask for a mule and cart for the trouble. I lost all of my wounds, going from 11 to 0 eating a Fireball as the guy tried to escape, and even I knew better than to try and asking the Inn owner for anything after the party murdered her brother and basically revealed he had a Necromancers Lab underneath the building, essentially forcing her to leave town.

It'd be nice if we could make it more than one or two adventures without basically destroying peoples lives wholesale, but that's Warhammer isn't it? Also, the guy they killed, was the guy going to pay us 100 gold each for solving the disappearances. I'd think their greed would have at least triumphed over their willingness to butcher NPCs.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Dirty Job posted:

Has anyone here tried the Enemy Within campaign for the newest edition? I'm interested in running it for our group, and was wondering if I should just use the original books as a basis, or if the 60 dollar boxed set is worth it.

I heard that its worth it. If your group is anything like mine, which is full of ADD grognards. They'll need the shiny bits to keep going.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Dirty Job posted:

They are two completely different adventures by the same name. And both of them are awesome (even after almost 30 years, the original The Enemy Within stands up as one of the best adventure paths ever while the New Enemy Within is one of the best large intrigue adventures I've ever read, right down to giving three options with consistent motivation as to who the main bad guy is).

Man Dancer
Apr 22, 2008
One of my players is asking me if I'm allowing the "broken" action cards Reckless Cleave and Thundering Blow.

I trust him enough to think that these are actually probably poorly balanced if he is asking the question rather than just taking them. Anyone else had issues with these cards or had creative ways to handle them (increasing recharge, etc.)?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Man Dancer posted:

One of my players is asking me if I'm allowing the "broken" action cards Reckless Cleave and Thundering Blow.

I trust him enough to think that these are actually probably poorly balanced if he is asking the question rather than just taking them. Anyone else had issues with these cards or had creative ways to handle them (increasing recharge, etc.)?
Check out the errata on the website, those might be covered.

Otherwise an extra recharge token or two will generally do the trick for most broken cards.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Hey everyone. Is anyone still playing WFRP? I'm just staring up with a new group and am planning on running the Cheap Tickets adventure from the free Liber Fanatica IX. The party starts the adventure hung over strapped to the top of a stagecoach being pursued by goblins, with a special drunken bums party sheet.

Man Dancer
Apr 22, 2008
Oh man, thanks for pointing that out. Depending on how badly my group screws up (or how hard they party after their hard-fought success), this may be a perfect interstitial after finishing up their current adventure (Winds of Change, from Liber Mutatis).

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The Liber Fanatica fan supplements are amazing and everyone should check them out. I would love to run a game in Mordheim with their supplement. That quest I mentioned looks like it was meant to be a 3 parter but the other two are unpublished. Still it's a decent starter for a new party. Probably could segue it into a Night at the Three Feathers from 2e with a little wrangling which is another great one shot adventure.

Zengbo
Jun 25, 2006

I pity the fool who messes with my tea!

dishwasherlove posted:

The Liber Fanatica fan supplements are amazing and everyone should check them out. I would love to run a game in Mordheim with their supplement. That quest I mentioned looks like it was meant to be a 3 parter but the other two are unpublished. Still it's a decent starter for a new party. Probably could segue it into a Night at the Three Feathers from 2e with a little wrangling which is another great one shot adventure.

Thanks for the reminder, I've been out of WHFRP for a while, and neglected to Download Liber Fanatica IX. I've just restarted with a Halloween/Hexennacht haunted house mini-module, but everyone has said they want to continue after this session ends. The Cheap Tickets adventure looks like a blast!

Son of Emhak
Sep 11, 2005

Here's a thing, I've had a Warhammer Siege Castle assembled for a long time. Ever since we got into playing our Fantasy RPG, I keep letting our GM know 'hey if you need some castle walls or a gate house or something, let me know', but for whatever reason he is adamant against ever having a need or use for it. It's not like we avoid using models, everyone in the party has a model for their character, he even had me buy a Garden of Morr when we were at the hobby shop and I asked 'what could we use to enhance our tabletop battles and RPG environments'. Are there any good scenarios or modules that would make use of a castled environment so I can finally see this thing get used?

Son of Emhak
Sep 11, 2005

So this is something pretty old school. In the module we are playing, one of the hand outs is actually a paper craft of the mystic stone we have acquired. I don't like the looks of any of the symbols though, and any great powerful magical item surely has the taint of Tzeentch on it.

LeadRobot
Dec 9, 2010

Life's hard when your feet are the size of a house and also toxic.

Burn it with all haste.

I'm pretty excited to play Warhammer Fantasy again. My group rolled up new characters last week but we didn't end up playing this weekend. :(
I've probably put more effort into developing this character than my last four combined. I played a generic MacGuyver McWizard puppet last time, so I thought I'd change it up and try my hand at playing a disgraced noble with actual motives and character.

Last campaign we played through Eye For an Eye, did some freeform stuff and then sailed through The Gathering Storm before getting distracted by other systems.

I think we're starting with The Enemy Within and then seeing where that takes us. Has anybody played through Enemy Within before? Have a good time of it? e: read above

LeadRobot fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Nov 18, 2013

Son of Emhak
Sep 11, 2005

I'd burn it, but it's the Stone of Fire, I'm pretty sure our GM would merely use that as an excuse to make its power go out of control.

Tzeentch edit: Colored it.

Son of Emhak fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Nov 19, 2013

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

bored before I even began
I just picked up pretty much everything in the line from FFG's sale. It's all priced between $5 and $25. I think I walked away having dropped $175 before shipping. I bought the original boxset at release and then never actually did anything with it, but I wanted to give it another shot and this was the excuse I needed.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

It's a pity international shipping from the FFG site is so expensive. But also a good thing.

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost
gently caress you shoplifter I just spent way too much money and I haven't even opened my core set yet.

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

bored before I even began
Tell me about it. I'm The guy that buys dozens of RPG books to read and never play. I still have sealed PS1 games on my shelves.

Man Dancer
Apr 22, 2008
Oh good, this is an excuse to get Black Fire Pass since my group ended up 2/3 dwarfy.

Changing topics: Has anyone who has successfully run The Gathering Storm have any general tips or tricks they used to good effect? I'm planning on starting it this Tuesday for a group that is just coming off of the Winds of Change adventure.

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost
Been running this for about 5 sessions now and it's been a blast. I'm loving the fluidity of it and everyone's digging the abstract nature of the dice.

Question on advances: Does the 1-point-per-rank for skill restriction apply to fortune points? Could a character theoretically get three fortune points in a characteristic in the first rank?

Man Dancer
Apr 22, 2008

spacegoat posted:

Question on advances: Does the 1-point-per-rank for skill restriction apply to fortune points? Could a character theoretically get three fortune points in a characteristic in the first rank?

The main rulebook doesn't seem to explicitly restrict characteristic fortune dice beyond the fact that they have to be a career characteristic and that you would have to have a fortune advance slot to use for that career. The FAQ/Errata doc didn't have anything else to say.

Only other thing I could find on this (which you may have already seen) was a thread on the Fantasy Flight forums where folks were bandying around various house rules: http://community.fantasyflightgames...haracteristics/

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost
Thanks for the link. I like the idea of limiting it to being no greater than the associated characteristic, though I hate house ruling if I can help it. Someone in that thread makes the good point of creating more diverse challenges to discourage dump/god-stats, which I think is more in the spirit of the system.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth
Just came back with from my campaign launch/character creation session. I'm a pretty lax GM, and I have every expansion (with 50+ basic careers), so I dealt everyone 5 career cards and allowed them to pass them around freely; basically telling them to 'just play whatever you like.'

They made an entire party of Wood Elves.

:shepicide:

Seriously, what the gently caress do I do with a party of Wood Elves? There's no elf-centric expansion, and none of the adventure seem really appropriate of an entire party of isolationist hillbilly knife-ears.

Please help me.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

Take this, you'll need it:

http://www.liberfanatica.net/Elf_Project.html

Basically they will be social outcasts anywhere they travel in the Empire. You say you have every expansion, what adventure were you thinking of running?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Paper Kaiju posted:

Just came back with from my campaign launch/character creation session. I'm a pretty lax GM, and I have every expansion (with 50+ basic careers), so I dealt everyone 5 career cards and allowed them to pass them around freely; basically telling them to 'just play whatever you like.'

They made an entire party of Wood Elves.

:shepicide:

Seriously, what the gently caress do I do with a party of Wood Elves? There's no elf-centric expansion, and none of the adventure seem really appropriate of an entire party of isolationist hillbilly knife-ears.

Please help me.
Run a dungeon crawl. Get into hostile territory, snag the maguffin, kill everything in your way. Grab everything not nailed down on your way out and leg it for civilisation.

The dungeon is what the humans refer to as "a town".

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

dishwasherlove posted:

Take this, you'll need it:

http://www.liberfanatica.net/Elf_Project.html

Basically they will be social outcasts anywhere they travel in the Empire. You say you have every expansion, what adventure were you thinking of running?

I was originally considering Winds of Change or Mirror of Desire (from Libers Mutatis and Ecstatica, respectively), but I'm hard-pressed to think of a reason for a party of wood elves to get involved in either scenario. I had thought that The Gathering Storm might work, but it turns out one of the players is currently running that exact adventure in another game (gently caress my life). I could probably fit them into The Witch's Song, but that one's designed for Rank 2 PCs, and they're still fresh meat.

(Edit: Thanks for the link, though.)

Edit2: The one thing I've got going for me is that one of the PCs is a Mystic, so sending them places for no other reason that 'your goddess said so' is totally an option.

Paper Kaiju fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jan 13, 2014

Son of Emhak
Sep 11, 2005

Alas I think my friends have had their spirits broken by the grim dark. Last night they all said they don't want to play WFRP next week. We've been playing 1st edition for nearly a years worth of weekly game sessions now, and my character just became a Druid, but half of our party has had the morale sucked out of them by gaining insanities. I'm looking in to the 4th Edition in hopes of salvaging the game, maybe a change of rules will make things more bearable.

Man Dancer
Apr 22, 2008
Recovering from nasty stuff is HARD in this game. One of my players had a 4 severity disease (Galloping Trots) and had to pull out all the stops with me nearly cheating/dropping doctors in his lap for him to get rid of it after weeks of trying, and I'm not sure one of my other players will ever heal his Broken Nose critical. These are both pretty Resilient Dwarves, too!

Son of Emhak
Sep 11, 2005

At the very least those are just physical maladies. In first edition WFRP insanities are pretty much impossible to cure. We've kept fighting when our front line warrior was battling in a wheel chair but the mental toll is what eventually brought half the party to the point where they don't care if their characters live or die.

Son of Emhak
Sep 11, 2005

So a question about moving from original WFRP into 4th edition, are there Druids?

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

There is no 4th ed. The latest edition is 3rd ed. There is no druid class so your choices would be between a Priest of Taal or an Amber Wizard I think.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

dishwasherlove posted:

There is no 4th ed. The latest edition is 3rd ed. There is no druid class so your choices would be between a Priest of Taal or an Amber Wizard I think.

I hadn't thought about it before, but yeah, those two careers are pretty much druids with slightly different window dressing.

Son of Emhak
Sep 11, 2005

That's kind of a bummer, they kept in the deities but Druidism is something older than the modern pantheon of the Empire. According to the lore, the Druids that joined the Colleges of Magic when Teclis founded them, went on to make the Jade College, since that was the particular aspect of the Winds of Magic their powers were drawing from, but I really like the flavor and style of Druids in 1st edition.

Chuck Finley
Oct 27, 2010

I don't know if anyone cares about playing this tabletop online, but for a while a group of Goons I know did and before that ambition ended we tried to find a good collaborative character/party sheet (which ended in failure). So I made a character sheet and a party sheet with the functions it needs to be played long distance, used the same color scheme from LumberingTroll's thing for another RPG that we played a poo poo ton of and I think it turned out alright. If you want to use it then just click File > Make a Copy and you can do whatever the gently caress you want with it.

Son of Emhak
Sep 11, 2005

That's a really cool application. I finally got my used core set and my friend who wants to run the game has already gotten us to make our characters in preparation for possibly playing on Sunday. We got to pick three basic careers and then rolled off to see which one we got, and I got the Wood Elf Waywatcher which seems like a really cool recon and rural maneuverability class. I'm also really impressed with the action and talent cards and how they help you customize and round out your character.

Man Dancer
Apr 22, 2008
I wanted to share my organization solution for WFRP3 (not sure if this has been mentioned before), the Stanley 25-Removable Compartment Professional Organizer.

It is goddamn perfect. The big cards fit in the big compartments and the little cards fit in the medium compartments, with just enough room to pull them out with my fingers. The little compartments are great for tokens. The little dents on the lid prevent bits and cards from sliding around, even when turning the whole thing upside down and shaking it. It has easily cut my setup/cleanup time in half, and it makes it much easier to just grab a corruption token out of a little box and sprinkle it on someone's character sheet like a fine spice.

One word of advice, don't try to take the label off without some Goo-Gone or something, because the residue is sticky as all get out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Man Dancer posted:

I wanted to share my organization solution for WFRP3 (not sure if this has been mentioned before), the Stanley 25-Removable Compartment Professional Organizer.

It is goddamn perfect. The big cards fit in the big compartments and the little cards fit in the medium compartments, with just enough room to pull them out with my fingers. The little compartments are great for tokens. The little dents on the lid prevent bits and cards from sliding around, even when turning the whole thing upside down and shaking it. It has easily cut my setup/cleanup time in half, and it makes it much easier to just grab a corruption token out of a little box and sprinkle it on someone's character sheet like a fine spice.

One word of advice, don't try to take the label off without some Goo-Gone or something, because the residue is sticky as all get out.

I use this for my stuff: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-Mobile-Pro-Organizer-with-3-Removable-Organizers-17193870/203431528

I have everything but the The Enemy Within, and it holds every last bit except for the big cards, with I keep in a standard card box. I've got standees in the bottom bin, small cards in the middle, and the top has the dice, chits, and other odds and ends.

It also has swinging doors with dog heads on them, which looks awesome.

• Locked thread