Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

One copy of The Enemy Within for $10 on Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/Fantasy-Fligh...IN%3D1616614765

I already bought it ages ago but had an old price alert set up and just of the email.

Edit: They also have a few copies of The Gathering Storm for $8

http://www.amazon.com/Warhammer-Fan...91815037&sr=1-3

dishwasherlove fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Feb 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Emhak
Sep 11, 2005

We say there's no parting for us, if our hearts are conveyed to each other.
Wow thanks for the heads up.
Out of curiosity I've noticed that a few of the sourcebooks are themed to a particular Chaos Deity. Magic for Tzeentch, Power for Slaneesh, and Faith for Nurgle, is there one for Khorne?

Son of Emhak fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Feb 8, 2014

Man Dancer
Apr 22, 2008
Omens of War for Khorne. I was not as impressed with that one as I was with the other 3. Amongst other issues, it felt like they were awkwardly dancing around the fact that they have this other tabletop Warhammer game about fantasy battles.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
The "lose a limb" critical wounds are very well done though.

Son of Emhak
Sep 11, 2005

Really looking forward to our first game with 3rd edition tomorrow. Our GM is going to run the adventure out of the rules book because it coincidentally is the first part of the separate adventure module he purchased before we actually got the core box.

After giving the rules a look over I'm pretty keen on the 'abstract distances' rules. It felt like too often the rigid distances and movement characteristics of the old systems didn't have a clear enough function. For example in first edition your movement characteristic wasn't the actual number of units or yards you could move, it was divided into three different categories, cautious, standard, and running. The problem we encountered was trying to incorporate those rules ran counter to our tabletop fantasy battles understanding of the Movement characteristic, so the scale of WFRP was much different and didn't mesh well. With the abstract distances we don't have to pay such close attention to exact numbers. Even though the rules provide the standups and tracking tokens for keeping distances in mind, we are very much in the 'gotta have my plastic mens' Warhammer fandom, so here's looking forward to filling the tabletop with buildings and individuals to help fill in the gaps of our imaginations.

Man Dancer posted:

Omens of War for Khorne. I was not as impressed with that one as I was with the other 3. Amongst other issues, it felt like they were awkwardly dancing around the fact that they have this other tabletop Warhammer game about fantasy battles.

It sounds like that might come up. Anything called Omens of War has to hint at or involve large scale battles, but I bet there was some sort of mutual interest agreement where Fantasy Flight Games either wasn't allowed to, or didn't have to reference the main Games Workshop product, to keep from confusing or diverting the consumer elsewhere.

Son of Emhak fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Feb 13, 2014

Son of Emhak
Sep 11, 2005

Random question, I'm home brewing a low level adventure and I was about to craft up a profile and actions for a Snotling Pumpwagon, I just was wondering if any of the 3rd edition materials had covered this oddity.

Son of Emhak
Sep 11, 2005

Another question, my friend got the Creature Guidebook, only to lament when he was reading the entry on Skaven for Poison Wind Globadiers that there wasn't any specific special attack action for them using their Poison Wind Globes. I just got the Creature Vault and after looking at all of the actions, I also didn't find anything that seemed specific to these horrific Skaven weapons. Did we miss something or are the Globadiers brutal enough when considering their pack fighting tactics and gear without getting a brutal special action?

Man Dancer
Apr 22, 2008

A.S.H. posted:

Another question, my friend got the Creature Guidebook, only to lament when he was reading the entry on Skaven for Poison Wind Globadiers that there wasn't any specific special attack action for them using their Poison Wind Globes. I just got the Creature Vault and after looking at all of the actions, I also didn't find anything that seemed specific to these horrific Skaven weapons. Did we miss something or are the Globadiers brutal enough when considering their pack fighting tactics and gear without getting a brutal special action?

This fan creation might be the closest you get (it actually looks pretty good): http://community.fantasyflightgames.com/index.php?/topic/69040-clan-skryre-poison-wind-globadier/

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Holy crap the extra dice sets are back in stock.

Son of Emhak
Sep 11, 2005

My friend rolls up a Halfling and between his three career choices he has Halfling Chef, Pit Fighter, and Ratcatcher, and he comes up Pit Fighter. I'm going to GM for a Halfling Pit Fighter, and that's when I remembered why I love Warhammer.

Atsuku Nare
Oct 17, 2006
Burn Your Passion
Sorry for not keeping up with the latest news, but it looks like it's been almost a year since the last WFRP release. Has 3rd edition been cancelled?

Doublehex
Jan 29, 2009

Quoth the raven, `Nevermore.'
By omission, perhaps. FFG has not made any commentary on the state of the game.

Son of Emhak
Sep 11, 2005

FFG has a much juicier license now in the form of Star Wars. I have the Dice Rolling App on my phone for WFRP3 and Star Wars. The Star Wars App is not just for Star Wars RP, but also their X-Wing product line, and it received an update. The WFRP3 Dice Roller on the other hand has never gotten an update that I'm aware of, and doesn't have nearly as many features or user friendly qualities. It's a pity because if they just reskinned the Star Wars roller for WFRP I'd be perfectly happy.

Ad Edit: Oh wait right the WFRP3 Dice Roller app does update, with ADS on the latest FFG products and articles before you can actually use it to generate rolls. Something the Star Wars App doesn't do.

Son of Emhak fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Apr 17, 2014

Man Dancer
Apr 22, 2008
I hear WFRP3 stalled out in not small part due to the fact that the lead designer and main advocate for the product line almost died and was in a coma for month (http://www.paintedthumb.com/?page_id=2) a couple years back. It never really got back momentum after that.

Happily my monthlyish game chugs along on all the material I got through various friends and holiday clearance sales. My party includes an Ogre Maneater turned Pit Fighter who has partnered with a Halfling Chef and a Disciple of Manaan who uses the "Fish!" blessing to keep the Orge's crazy meat requirements well in hand (even if the odd chaos star in the blessing invocation roll means the fish are sometimes conjured with human fingers).

Son of Emhak
Sep 11, 2005

I just got Black Fire Pass, and I say for a Dwarf centric expansion, it's pretty awesome. For folks interested in Dwarf Magic, there's Runesmithing, for folks who like gadgets, there's Engineers and their inventions. Also love all of the Drunken action cards, and the small taste of Greenskin Magic.

cybertier
May 2, 2013
I'm currently planning on doing a new campaign in a new fantasy setting for my group.

And lo and behold, we never even looked at WFRP as a serious RPG. Thought it was a cash-grab for the tabletop fans.
After reading some review it seem we have been wrong.

But, my heart bleeds, i can currently definitely not afford the 3rd edition, but the 2nd edition got great reviews, too.
I got some questions about 2nd edition character generation and the magic system:
Without buying or reading the book, i only gathered from reviews that the character generation is completely random. But i also know that some of my players won't touch the game, if there is a chance they might have to play a halfing ratcatcher instead of whatever they think is their thing.
How much does it take away from the game if allow the players to chose race and career?
Also, since magic seems to come with a price, how good are magic type characters when they can't use their magic? Can they withstand melee-combat?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

2e Mages don't tend to be particularly good in melee without their magic, since they have very little armor, generally, and don't gain extra attacks or melee talents. Priests can handle it much better, but it takes 3 Careers to actually get a divine Lore which means Priests don't have that much magic for a long time. You can choose race and class without losing anything in 2e, though my group likes the randomness. Magic also isn't that dangerous, though that's coming from someone who started with Dark Heresy and then picked up WHFRP 2e; it can wreck you, and I've seen it wreck enemies and friends alike at times, but the chance isn't that high as most of the Doubles table is mostly just inconvenient and your odds of rolling triples or quads in a game where you're generally throwing 2-3 dice at the spell aren't high.

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.
Welp, looks like WFRPG3e is done.

Kinda sucks. I never got a chance to get into it and always wanted to. It looks like the core set is out of stock and there's no reprints up. Is there a way to get the core set piecemeal or is that the only way to get those books?

EDIT: It looks like the Player's Guide, Creature's Guide, GM Guide, and Dice Set are all available separately on Amazon. Are those the things that come in the core set?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Spincut posted:

Welp, looks like WFRPG3e is done.

Kinda sucks. I never got a chance to get into it and always wanted to. It looks like the core set is out of stock and there's no reprints up. Is there a way to get the core set piecemeal or is that the only way to get those books?

EDIT: It looks like the Player's Guide, Creature's Guide, GM Guide, and Dice Set are all available separately on Amazon. Are those the things that come in the core set?

The books replace having information on the cards of the core set.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

Sad but not unexpected. Thankfully most of the 2e stuff is easy enough to homebrew into a 3e campaign.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
On one hand this is a shame, on the other Warhammer Fantasy is viable and profitable, and frankly Edge of the Empire took moved the system, way way forward. Maybe the next Fantasy game will take what Stars Wars did and move it into a cool direction for the property :unsmith:

Son of Emhak
Sep 11, 2005

Yeah I'm hoping that the improvements on the narrative dice they came up with when designing Star Wars will make a WFRP4e even better.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

:sigh: I really wanted to play this game, but could not find anything local, my friends are too busy, and my kids are too young. Guess I'll just hold onto the boxed set I bought all those years ago and wonder what could have been.

I hope I can take solace in hoping the Mordheim game that's coming out will give me something of the experience I was hoping to have, even if it's not a tabletop game or based on different rules. Warhammer Fantasy X-Com sounds like it has potential.

NutritiousSnack posted:

On one hand this is a shame, on the other Warhammer Fantasy is viable and profitable, and frankly Edge of the Empire took moved the system, way way forward. Maybe the next Fantasy game will take what Stars Wars did and move it into a cool direction for the property :unsmith:

I have no interest in Star Wars anymore, but I have heard that they did good things with Edge of the Empire. I wonder what 4e WHFRPG is going to look like.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Aug 19, 2014

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Welp, took the dive and grabbed a core set off eBay a couple of days ago, and man, there is so much stuff. I've been reading through the rules and ogling the chits and dice and cards so far. Hopefully going to get in a game with my group soon. The adventure that comes with it seems like a good place to start. Seems to involve some investigation and social stuff from flipping through it.

Sadly, the Adventurer's Toolkit seems almost impossible to get right now, though it is currently on FFG's "to be reprinted" list, so who knows. Are there any supplements that are must-haves? Hero's Call?

Son of Emhak
Sep 11, 2005

Heroes Call includes more diverse profiles for humans based on their region of origin, as well as rules for Halflings and Ogres, so it is pretty nice, as well as covering high level play and careers. I highly recommend Black Fire Pass because of all the keen dwarf flavor it adds.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

So I'm wondering, since this game has been finished, if anyone has gotten to compare it to the new Star Wars RPG that FFG has done? I haven't gotten the chance to actually sit down and play either of them but I'm wondering what the differences are, outside of obvious things like obligation and duty.

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

I believe you're a big dork!
WFRP3e has a lot more emphasis on combat; you get a whole load of combat maneuvers, the whole conservative/reckless system is designed to facilitate interesting fights... Personally, EotE and friends feel like a kind of lighter, less combat-heavy version of WFRP3e with some improvements.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Are there any particular flaws of WHF that have been fixed in EotE? That you're aware of, anyways.

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

I believe you're a big dork!
Well, conservative/reckless was imbalanced, but they didn't fix that so much as nix it completely, I suppose. I'm a slightly bigger fan of the way EotE handles stats & skills (stats and skills are rated on the same scale, when you act you take dice equal to the higher and upgrade a number of them equal to the lower) compared to WFRP3e's (roll stat number of dice, if you have a rank or two in a skill you just get extra dice), and if you aren't running a super combat-heavy game, that skill system definitely is much better.

Really, I'd say the biggest changes are of intent, not of quality.

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Woo, my group got through the intro adventure last night (the manor investigation in the GM book). It was a lot of fun to run! My party was off on a weird but still really close to the truth tangent for a while, but they managed to get back on track at the end and close out the scenario in their favor.

Are any of the published adventures good? Not sure what to do next.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
One of the pluses and minuses of WHFRP 3E was the cards.
On the good they were an amazing tool for players particularly new players, you never had to look up any mechanics you just read your card, they supplied tons of flavour, one copy of each card led to niche protection and arrays of cards, managing your cooldowns was actually a fun minigame.

On the bad, they took up huge amounts of table space, if the GM used them as well that just compounded the problem, they took up lots of real estate in storage unless you started packing them in a good box and as you leveled up a lot you tended to have huge numbers of cards.

The flavour of the game was excellent though. You could play a Dwarven engineer with a insanely cool customised exoskeleton or you could slot the device into your Party Sheet and upgrade everyone with piston exoskeletons!

I played a game and I ran the first two books of the Enemy Within, really enjoyed both.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

Spincut posted:

Woo, my group got through the intro adventure last night (the manor investigation in the GM book). It was a lot of fun to run! My party was off on a weird but still really close to the truth tangent for a while, but they managed to get back on track at the end and close out the scenario in their favor.

The Gathering Storm has suggestions as to linking it into the starting adventure. It's a decent module if not a little fetch questy. The Enemy Within is the quintessential WFRP module but I haven't played the 3e version.

Son of Emhak
Sep 11, 2005

Our GM is running the Edge of Night campaign module which is also supposed to be a direct link to the introductory adventure. One of the NPCs who you have a chance to save at the Hunting Lodge is a member of a Noble house and links you into a whole mess of factions vying for dominance of the town of Ubershreik.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Spincut posted:

I haven't played through The Enemy Within - but from reading it it's a legitimate successor to the original adventure with that name - and that's very high praise. One of the things they do absolutely right is that there's a secret villain, and in the course of the book they present three possible candidates and tell the GM to decide which it is and what they'd do at different points.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

So I picked up the core set, and then was talking to a guy at work who has almost all of the 3e stuff... and he sold at least half of the 3e products to me for 80 bucks :stare:

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

S.J. posted:

So I picked up the core set, and then was talking to a guy at work who has almost all of the 3e stuff... and he sold at least half of the 3e products to me for 80 bucks :stare:

:stare: I am full of jealousy.

Thanks for the tips, everyone. My players are all really excited to play again, so I ordered the Enemy Within campaign. Should arrive tomorrow!

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost
Our group has more or less switched over to Star Wars, but I'd like to run Enemy Within as a last hurrah. Is there anything in the box that's critical to the campaign outside of the book? I'd prefer to just buy the pdf if all I'm missing out on are tokens and maps.

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

spacegoat posted:

Our group has more or less switched over to Star Wars, but I'd like to run Enemy Within as a last hurrah. Is there anything in the box that's critical to the campaign outside of the book? I'd prefer to just buy the pdf if all I'm missing out on are tokens and maps.

I'll let you know what it comes with when it arrives.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

So I'm trying to sort through a bunch of this stuff, but I have a question: what does it mean if a card has two set symbols on it? There are a bunch that seem to have the creature vault symbol followed by another set symbol. I've just been sorting them with whatever other set rather than the creature vault material.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

Maybe the core starter set symbol?

• Locked thread