Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Rexides posted:

Putting all these together, I want to ask how it translates to two problems that have been plaguing DnD (3E at least).

Death Spiral: With all this talk about critical wounds and their nasty effects that don't go away that easily, how easy is it to get even more likely to get another critical would once you get one? From what I understand, they don't lower your chance of success, which is a good thing, but increase the likelihood that bad things will happen to you, right? How does it translate to the in-game experience? Is the Slayer charging while holding his own intestines in because he just doesn't give a gently caress, or does he chicken out in order to avoid more trouble?
Firstly they can lower your success rate a bit. For example there's one which adds a Misfortune Dice to your Strength rolls which would impact rolling Weapon attacks. The thing to remember in tat regard is that in WFRP3 he odds getting at least one success in things you are good at is usually very high, it's more about what secondaries trigger, and the odds of failing AND getting no secondaries are very low even with a bucketload of black dice.

It's also generally mitigated by Fortune points. If the Slayer is charging into battle holding his own intestines he's going to be earning the party many points.

The same applies to the Death Spiral problem in general. Very rarely will your combined Critical wounds have a huge impact on how effective you are. They're basically a more flavourful approach to death saving throws: You're not so much worried about about the critical wounds because you're rolling an extra black die on most actions, you're worried because you're one more crit and an unconsciousness away from pushing up daisies.

There's also how Creatures work. Short version: Creatures don't have skills or stuff, they have three dice pools (Aggression, Cunning and Expertise). If a creature has 4 Aggression then the GM has can add up to four Fortune dice to the Creature's rolls this combat, or four Misfortune dice to rolls against the Creature, or any combination of the two. Unless your GM is a complete rear end they're not going to throw miss dice at the guy who's already sitting on a bunch of Misfortune from injuries, or throw Hit dice against the gal with banjaxed Dodge action.

Rexides posted:

15-minute Adveturing Day: Splicer's post gives me the impression that Overnight Rest is the main way for characters to recover from wounds. How often (in terms of battles-encounters) does the party have to retreat and seek a place to rest? Are there any daily-style abilities that reinforce this pattern, or is it just the healing issues?
After each encounter you usually recover toughness + one First Aid's roll worth of normal wounds, which would be between 2 and 5 Wounds from your toughness and another one or two from first aid. For a 2 Toughness character that's a quarter to a third of their HP, a 5 Toughness character will be recovering about half. If you go a long time between fights you can also probably grab another first aid roll before the next one. Also your GM is more likely to dole out Fortune points/give free tension reductions if you forge ahead.

It's a slow attrition of stored resources, so less a 15 minute adventuring day and more a 5 day adventuring week.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Mar 27, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Captain_Indigo posted:

I love the look of everything posted so far - is anyone able to put up some adventure stuff. Feel free to spoiler everything, but I'm just looking for an idea of how the adventures uphold the ideas and attitudes that seem to be inherent in the mechanics.

Have two demo adventures.

Turing sex machine
Dec 14, 2008

I want to have
your robot-babies
:roboluv:

Splicer posted:

(rolling a chaos star makes you suffer a temporary magical blowback effect, drawn from a deck of interesting things. This does not preclude you still otherwise succeeding obviously).
Wait, did I fall into a parallel universe in which mainstream RPG companies are staffed by actual game designers?

(I was wary of the price, but then I realized I was about to spend that much money to buy two Magic cards. Perceptions.)

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Turing sex machine posted:

Wait, did I fall into a parallel universe in which mainstream RPG companies are staffed by actual game designers?
FFG aren't an RPG company, they're a board game company that occasionally makes RPGs. This explains a lot about why this game is actually, y'know, good.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Splicer posted:

FFG aren't an RPG company, they're a board game company that occasionally makes RPGs. This explains a lot about why this game is actually, y'know, good.

And why the editing ranges from odd to outright bad. Sigh.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

I found the Game Master's Toolkit on Amazon for $5 new, so I picked it up. The GM screen is extremely solid, and it comes with some more items and locations. The thing that blew my mind: it never occurred to me that I could use the puzzle-piece-style progress tracks to make forked tracks for separate events, and how a GM can use ones visible to the players to build tension. They know that fork #1 is the track for their thief breaking in the vault while they stall the guard on fork #2, but the GM can keep the group in the dark about what the other marker -- the one that's not the thief -- on fork #1 represents.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Well thanks to your post about the toolkit I went on Amazon and got the same deal, then bought the Core Set and Adventurer's Toolkit at the same time. Now I just gotta wait a week or two for it all to get here.

Someone on Amazon is trying to sell a pack of extra WFRPG dice for 88 dollars. It's not a huge pack of dice or anything--the product description says it has 1 yellow die, for example. The picture is of about 12 or 16 die. 88 dollars. God drat.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
That's a standard dicepack, it costs about $12 new.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I figured it was something like that. It just blows my mind that someone would try to sell a normal dice pack for 633% markup.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

homullus posted:

The Primary Characteristics are the attributes that are easier for this career to increase. Here, the Dockhand has Strength and Toughness. It will cost him a number of advances equal to his new attribute to raise that Characteristic one (so getting from 3 to 4 costs 4 advances); it will cost one more than that if he raises something other than Strength or Toughness (3 to 4 would cost 5 advances)
Hey so it turns out you get +1 to each of your first career's starting characteristics before you start spending points. I did not know this. Bonus points for all!

I'm going to do a sample char generation sometime over the next couple of days, glad I found that out first!

Zengbo
Jun 25, 2006

I pity the fool who messes with my tea!
You know, a great resource for WHFRP3e is the Reckless Dice Podcast. You can also find their feed on iTunes. They have great discussions and rules coverages, and do a lot of recorded play sessions of both official modules and updated adventures from older editions. They talked about some of the common questions and problems in character creation in one of the first episodes.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

So I was wondering: How does RPGnet or Pundit feel about this game?

My other question is what are the monsters like? I noticed that two careers are troll slayers and giant slayers. In DnD, trolls are a specific kind of giant with regeneration and weakness to fire, and giants are...several things, really, but mostly big. They would also destroy a starting party. How often do you run into giants that your career can be tailored around fighting them? How do monsters scale? Are there certain things you should be fighting at the beginning of the game and some things that decidedly end-game?

Turing sex machine
Dec 14, 2008

I want to have
your robot-babies
Troll slayers are actually dwarves who dishonoured themselves and vowed to redeem themselves by dying in battle. They wander across the land, armorless, looking for worthwhile foes. I'm not sure they're actually expected to kill trolls.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Really? That's loving awesome! That puts it in perspective right there.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Troll slayers are actually dwarves who dishonoured themselves and vowed to redeem themselves by dying in battle. They wander across the land, armorless, looking for worthwhile foes. I'm not sure they're actually expected to kill trolls.

They are actually expected to get killed by the trolls, and should they fail in that it only furthers their shame and disgrace.

ocrumsprug fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Mar 29, 2012

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
A Troll will gently caress your poo poo up. I will do Monsters at some point this weekend.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

ocrumsprug posted:

There are actually expected to get killed by the trolls, and should they fail in that it only furthers their shame and disgrace.

I love this. "Troll Slayer" as a sardonic euphemism for "troll food." It's like some elaborate form of seppuku. What do you have to do that getting eaten by a troll is the only way to redeem yourself?

BigDumbWhale
Apr 24, 2011

Lotish posted:

I love this. "Troll Slayer" as a sardonic euphemism for "troll food." It's like some elaborate form of seppuku. What do you have to do that getting eaten by a troll is the only way to redeem yourself?

Basically it's a self-imposed thing, if a dwarf thinks he's failed in a task he dyes his hair orange, grabs some axes and flails around. This can be just about anything the Troll Slayer thinks is worth killing himself over, from spilling a mug of beer onto a dwarven elder to not showing up for work on time.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens
Their being suicidally aggressive and bound by tradition to have foot-high bright orange mohawks does however lead to problems when subtlety is called for.

Turing sex machine
Dec 14, 2008

I want to have
your robot-babies

Lotish posted:

The intro adventure linked earlier has a dwarf who got drunk once and failed to protect his wife and children from an attack. They were not harmed, but the shame still made him swear the troll slayer oath.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth
My favorite part of Troll Slayer fluff is that, even though they are trying to redeem their honor by dying fighting something big and nasty, they can't lose on purpose. And by that, I don't mean that it's against the rules; they are actually psychologically incapable of fighting to lose.

"gently caress! I won! Now I've got to go find something bigger to fight!"

Edit: This also means that, when you see a veteran Slayer, you KNOW he's a badass mofo.

Paper Kaiju fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Mar 30, 2012

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

I really want to play a WH campaign where a war dancer teams up with a troll slayer and awesome odd couple shenanigans ensue.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Lotish posted:

There are different levels, depending on how long the Dwarf has survived and what kind of foes he's managed to overcome. IIRC it goes Troll Slayer -> Giant Slayer -> Dragon Slayer -> Daemon Slayer.

The whole point of becoming a Slayer is an attempt to redeem some of your, or your families honor, through violent painful death against a worthy adversary. Importantly, you cannot just go throw your life away against some vastly superior foe you have no hope of defeating, because that is basically suicide which would just dishonor you further.

Diskhotep
Jan 4, 2008

PeterWeller posted:

I really want to play a WH campaign where a war dancer teams up with a troll slayer and awesome odd couple shenanigans ensue.

If you haven't done so, read the "Gotrek and Felix" stories (the first nine are available in omnibus editions). They detail the tales of Gotrek Gurnison, the greatest (or worst, considering he hasn't managed to get himself killed yet) Troll Slayer ever to live.

The stories are chronicled by Felix Jaeger, the black sheep of a rich mercantile family who was studying poetry at the university until he was expelled for accidentally killing another student in a duel. After being saved by Gotrek during the Window Tax Riots in Altdorf, Felix drunkenly makes a blood-oath to follow Gotrek as his "Rememberer" and detail his travels and final doom in an epic poem.

Zaniness ensues.

The stories are a fun read, and in my opnion one of the best sources for getting a feel for the Old World and the kinds of adventures that can be had within it.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Man, I've been a fan of Gotrik and Felix ever since they were crappy special characters in the back of an Empire Army Book. Those dudes rule.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Well my Core Set and GM toolkit finally arrived, actually a day earlier than expected! Haven't had the time to open them up with my work schedule being what it is but I hope to sit down with them before bed tonight and take them apart.

Turing sex machine
Dec 14, 2008

I want to have
your robot-babies
I'm still waiting for mine. I wanted to buy local, but it turns out the big box of swag was never translated into French (we only got the rulebook). My FLGS sold out of English boxes and isn't going to receive any more. Are core boxes even produced any more, or did they switch to a rulebook-only model?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

I'm still waiting for mine. I wanted to buy local, but it turns out the big box of swag was never translated into French (we only got the rulebook). My FLGS sold out of English boxes and isn't going to receive any more. Are core boxes even produced any more, or did they switch to a rulebook-only model?
It's in stock according to the FFG website.

CPA Hell
Apr 15, 2007

I like to press the number six!

homullus posted:

Yeah, I saw that about characters. I was wondering whether there was a "if they're just closing distance, monsters and NPCs can use two movement maneuvers" or something.

There is an optional rule in either the Tome of Adventure or GM Toolkit that allows the characters to take a second "free" maneuver instead of using an action. Our group immediately began using it.

Also, the recommended number of maneuvers to close/expand distances is at the bottom left of page 5 of the FAQ (I'm not sure if this is what you were asking about earlier).

CPA Hell
Apr 15, 2007

I like to press the number six!

The errata and rules FAQ is really needed to play the game. There are several places in the core books that are mechanically vague. The FAQ assigns very clear mechanics to these situations. The ones we ran into in the first session were: number of maneuvers needed to close distances, what disengaging does, and what happens when you curry favor in excess of your equilibrium.

I don't mean to sound overly critical, but just wanted to mention this for new players. This is still the most fun my group has had with a game in years.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

CPA Hell posted:

The errata and rules FAQ is really needed to play the game. There are several places in the core books that are mechanically vague. The FAQ assigns very clear mechanics to these situations. The ones we ran into in the first session were: number of maneuvers needed to close distances, what disengaging does, and what happens when you curry favor in excess of your equilibrium.

I don't mean to sound overly critical, but just wanted to mention this for new players. This is still the most fun my group has had with a game in years.

We missed the "normal attacks with Skill vs. Defence are not opposed checks, they are 1d checks."

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Yeah, after going through the rulebooks a bit last night I'm still just a little murky on how you decide how difficult an attack is. Are they all 1d checks, or that set by the GM depending on circumstances?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
They're 1d. If the player wants to do something fancy, like hitting two guys with the one attack or bouncing it off a tree or something, then you up the difficulty. But 99% of the time it's just 1d

Splicer fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Apr 4, 2012

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I like the flexibility this game offers. You can let any player move on a hero initiative, not just the guy who rolled that particular init. You can take more than one maneuver on your turn if you're willing to risk the fatigue/stress. You can choose to step up the difficulty to add more to the awesome!?

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.

Splicer posted:

They're 1d. If the player wants to do something fancy, like hitting two guys with the one attack or bouncing it off a tree or something, then you up the difficulty. But 99% of the time it's just 1d

1d plus a d for every purple triangle on the action card (and sometimes other dice). A lot of people miss that - many actions have at least one additional difficulty dice.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Blamestorm posted:

1d plus a d for every purple triangle on the action card (and sometimes other dice). A lot of people miss that - many actions have at least one additional difficulty dice.
Yes, this. Some of them even give you bonus white dice.

coeranys
Aug 25, 2003

They shall soon rule where man rules now. After summer is winter, and after winter summer. They wait patient and potent, for here shall They reign again.
I broke down and ordered the game, the GM Toolkit, and the Adventurer's Vault. Managed to get them all new on Amazon shipped for like $95, so it seemed like a solid deal. My anything but friendly local gaming store is still trying to sell it for MSRP of $100, and I'm sorry, but that's just foolishness at this point.

Looking forward to giving it a go!

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

coeranys posted:

I broke down and ordered the game,

Me too, but not any extras yet.

Going to be fun learning this and teaching it to my group of old school D&Ders and brand new newbies :ohdear:

Cock Goblin
Mar 25, 2008

gobblegobblegobblegobble
thats all i do around here
Man, me and my crew love this game, glad a thread was finally made. Just look at that god drat box. How can you say no to all that stuff?

I can't wait for Hero's Call to finally get released. We're planning on restarting our adventures once all the new player races are released (but jeez I'm running out of space to HOLD everything.)

Also, did anyone here actually choose their jobs when they began adventuring or did they draw 3 from a deck and choose one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yoshimo
Oct 5, 2003

Fleet of foot, and all that!
I just can't get on board (heh) with this game. I recognise it is well made and definitely fun to play, but for some reason I just can't get away from books and character sheets.

When we tried to make characters I think the thing that made us give up is when we got told "ok now pick <x> amount of Action Cards," and we just sat looking at this huge deck of cards with no clue what was good and what was bad. I'd have liked to have seen lists for each class that they could have picked from.

WFRP 2E has its faults - by God does it have faults - but I'm gonna stick with it for now just because there's significantly less faff involved.

• Locked thread