Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

hedge posted:

Those of you without access to a hose should look into a product called Optimum No Rinse. You mix an ounce into 2 or so gallons of water and essentially use it as a sponge bath for your car. It acts as a surfactant so it encapsulates dirt so you don't scratch the car going over it with the sponge. The key is to use up a lot of the liquid in the process (ie don't wring out your sponge) and I try to keep the sponge clean by scraping it against the grit guard.

The process is explained here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYOAyxsEIuQ

Optimum No Rinse also makes a great clay bar lube and quick detailer. I mix the quick detailer in a one gallon pump garden sprayer.

drat! That looks really nice. I don't have access to a hose, but what I usually do is hit a local touchless car wash and then wax in the shade of a parking garage. Will have to give that no rinse a shot though as I'm never that happy with how things turn out with just the auto car wash (sometimes I have to run by a manual car wash to really clean some spots down).

What are good ways to really clean interior headliners and fabric? One of my cars was driven by a smoker, and even after 3 years of me owning it and never smoking I can still catch traces of smoke smell from time to time. I'd love to steam clean the headliner or something similar to try and get it all out.

mod sassinator fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Mar 26, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
I've tried cleaning at the coin washes with just water and spray on soap but it didn't really do a good job. The soap wasn't nearly as foamy as what those guns look like though. Might have to see if they have a better foam option.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

azflyboy posted:

Any advice on those "headlight restoration" products?

My Forester has headlights that are badly clouded from UV exposure, so I was thinking about using something to make them look a bit better.

I was leaning towards the Sylvania kit ( http://www.amazon.com/Sylvania-38771-Headlight-Restoration-Kit/dp/B00429NKWK ) based on reviews I've seen online, but the main concern I have is that I'll need to repeat the process every few weeks once the effects wear off.

Does anyone have experience or advice with clearing up UV damaged headlights?

I just used 3M's kit which attaches to a drill and got great results (use a corded drill since it takes a while). Followed it up with some sealant so we'll see how long it lasts.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

azflyboy posted:

What kind of sealant did you use?

Just something I could find locally at an auto parts store: http://www.amazon.com/HEADLIGHT-LENS-SEALER-8-OZ/dp/B0051PJWQW

It was about 8 bucks for the bottle but it should last a long time (you don't use a lot of it up when applying).