Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear
Sonax is by far the easiest way to clean wheels especially if you have pads that create a ton of dust or your wheels are fiddly basketweaves and so forth. Only drawback is that one tends to go through large quantities of it, and it's $15 a bottle

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2lkDF5FxS4

Skip to 5:00 for the full bloody wheel effect, then skip to 6:30 where it all washes off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear
I spent some time researching paint protection films and was surprised to read about a non-trivial number of people doing ceramic coatings (in some cases, the professionally applied $1,000-2,000 kind) on top of PPF. The idea is that you get a little extra shininess and protection, but it just seems like total overkill to me. Do you all recommend it?

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

wesleywillis posted:

As I discussed a page or two ago, I'm hoping to get a new ride in the near future, and plan on getting it completely wrapped with some paint protection film. Also oil sprayed.

Should I get it wrapped before or after the oil spraying? Seems like before would be better since the anti-rust poo poo might drip and cause problems with adhesion but I'd like some opinions.

Thanks goony goons.

The people doing the wrap will have to clean each panel thoroughly before application, so I wouldn't sweat it. The more I think about it, after would be more convenient as you'd have people cleaning up the drips for you

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Red_Fred posted:

What’s the general rule of thumb for PPF? I’ve got a new car coming very soon (RAV4 hybrid) and while it’s not sexy or cool it is brand new so would be nice to keep it looking good.

Was planning a new car detail and ceramic coat anyway but thought PPF on the front bumper and sills would be a good idea?
I bet it'll hold its value regardless of whether you install PPF or not. But if it matters to you, I suggest covering the mirrors, doors and rockers as well

Don't put it off! I waited till 5,000 miles on my new TT (because procrastination) and still regret it :(

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear
Is Sonax still a thing? I used it happily for years. They recommended using a gentle boar bristle brush for the fiddly bits near the wheel bolts