Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Any suggestions for glass coatings? I've still got one aquapel applicator floating around, but is there a better alternative these days?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer
How do I fix this? It doesn't come off with a regular wash:

The only trick is this is an Avery car wrap, it's not just regular paint. The wrap is only about a year old, and it looks like this across the entire car.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

MetaJew posted:

I can't help you but is that a clear wrap or color?

That's a bright yellow wrap.

Motronic posted:

Take it back. They installed it wrong.

There is nothing you can do to fix that.

So, those don't seem to be bubbles. They don't move when you poke them, and no amount of pressure will remove them. It's very hard to get in a photo, but it's almost like the car is covered in a thin film of dirt. If you're fairly aggressive cleaning it, you can get a majority of it to come off. I'm not entirely sure how that could be installer error.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Krakkles posted:

Looks a lot like water spots. Try mixing some white vinegar and water, spray on, let it sit ~ 30 seconds, wipe firmly off?

I have some Optimum MDR, which didn't seem to do much.

I dug up the manufactures care instructions, they seem to suggest this stuff:

quote:

On occasion environmental pollutants or dirt may cause water mark stains that do not remove using standard detergents and water. Seasonal air pollutants vary per geographical area and vinyl graphics can be exposed to air pollutants caused by industrial areas as well. It has been found that the Spartan Graffiti Remover SAC™ listed below works well to remove water spots caused by the air pollutants that mix with seasonal dew.

That seems somewhat plausible to me... so I guess I'll give that a shot.

meatpimp posted:

Try synthetic clay and see if that helps.

Does that help with water spots? I didn't think clay was very effective there.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Etrips posted:

I would be very very careful with claying vinyl wraps. Have you tried using Iron X or another decontaminant? Is it left parked outside?

Not yet... the manufacturer recommends a specific cleaner for air pollution. I have that on order, will give that a shot.

It's parked on the side of a highway at work, but it's mostly inside other then that.

What's the issue with claying wraps?

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer
This was what the manufacturer suggested: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XGP5VTT/

It seems to work very well, it took all the crap off the film. I only did a small area, waiting to see if anything horrible happens before moving on

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Any tips for removing greasy interior coatings? I just got my car back from some collision repair and they "detailed" the interior (which seems to mean they smeared some sort of greasy interior coating over everything)

I just got done trying quick detailer. I'm hoping that was sufficient, but I'm letting everything dry for a bit. I am debating going with some orange degreaser on all the plastic parts, but I'm not sure if that's going to be safe.

They also put some black dye poo poo on all the exterior rubber, but I'm hoping that just slowly goes away over time.

On the plus side, the peeling clearcoat on my old bumper is no longer a problem (they replaced the whole thing)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

MetaJew posted:

Welp, I tried using the touchless carwash yesterday as temporary solution before doing a full wash, and it appears the water pressure was strong enough to get under the spoiler I installed and separate the VHB tape.

A few questions:
How hard is it to use one of those rubber eraser wheels to remove the tape that's left on the car? I've never had much luck with Goo Gone getting adhesive off when I've removed badges in the past.
Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Oumefar-Eraser-Pneumatic-Removal-Sticker/dp/B0B691NXF3

I would think a bodyshop could reinstall it in under an hour. Any ideas on what some place might charge to do it for me? I have the materials to redo it, but lining it up was a PITA the first time and obviously something about my application didn't stick.

Might seem weird, but if you have a place that does vinyl car wraps near you, call them up and ask. Taking the car apart and putting it back together is a pretty normal part of doing the wraps, and I imagine they'd charge a lot less then a body shop.