Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
I want to remove spray paint from badges on my vehicle, I found that I could let WD-40 soak for about a minute and then scrub off the paint gently, I'm assuming this would also turbo gently caress my body paint (maybe automotive paint is higher quality than rattle can? Not a risk I really want to take). My plan is to try to only apply a small amount of WD-40 to the middle of the badge, and then tediously peel away paint near the edges close to the paint.

How can I protect my paint from over spray? Would masking tape be sufficient, or could I like put some clay or Play-Doh on the paint? I'm mostly concerned about protecting the small areas inside the letters on the badges.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

KakerMix posted:

How'd the paint get on the badges in the first place? Somehow the spray paint didn't get on the small areas inside the badge so presumably the badges come off somehow?

Maybe they were painted before they were applied?
Judging by the gouges in the paint under the badges, I am certain the previous owner removed them to spray paint them. I could do this, but I don't want to mess with applying new adhesive, and I think I can remove the badge's paint without damaging the vehicle. I know it might be ridiculously tedious, but I already need to occupy a couple hours of free time (waiting on other things) each night. I swapped the front badge and tested WD-40 on the painted one, the paint came off cleanly, and I could peel it off too but peeling is more work. In addition, I think my biggest concern with removing, cleaning, and reinstalling the current badges is simply that I don't have adhesive or know what to use.

To that extent, someday I would like to fill in the paint gouges, I might attempt to DIY it. I think I could practice on the scratches in the bed (I also need to ask about bed liner someday. . .), I'm also considering trying to buy a random body panel (maybe even mirror frame if I can find a metal one) from LKQ to practice on. I also have Maatco in town, but I have no idea what their price might be to fill in the gouges.

Not Wolverine fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jan 29, 2024