Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I'm going to be buying an FR-S in the not too distant future and the hot thing on the forums is to have a detailer apply opti-coat to the car. Do any of you detailing folks have any experience with it? It'd pretty appealing to me as I live in an apartment and don't have easy access to a good area to detail my car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Is there anything special that needs to be done when washing micro fiber towels? Can I just wash them with regular detergent?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Bumming Your Scene posted:

edit: Oh.. poo poo. Yeah you're gonna need to talk to someone with some power tools. I couldn't trust myself to sandpaper my own car.

Same. After watching the dudes that opti coated my car polish it I know I could handle doing that but sanding is a completely different story.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Weinertron posted:

So I'm getting a new car, but I'm an apartment dweller so it will be living outside when I'm at home. I'm looking for some suggestions to keep the paint in good shape long term.

I'm in the same situation and had my car opti-coated and then bought all the stuff I needed to wash it in my parking lot without a hose. Seems to be working well so far.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Not sure if this is the right thread, but how fixable is this?

untitled-0024 by John Gallup, on Flickr

A good dent guy should be able to take care of that right? It's a car I'm considering buying, so it's not like I can just take it to someone myself. It's not a deal breaker or anything, but it would be cool to know if there was a chance of getting rid of that.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Seat Safety Switch posted:

it's the same way you get rid of hard water deposits in a sink or shower.

So a magic eraser? :v:

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Finally got around to waxing my s2k. I used Griot's Best of Show Wax since I decided to give them a shot with most of the detailing products I've bought since I got the car. The reviews said that it was really difficult to remove. I thought those people were fools. I was the fool. If you're doing it by hand you're pretty much going to have to do what several of the reviewers tell you and use some form of quick detailer to get it all off. Elbow grease won't cut it. It's insane. On that note, the color and depth it gives the paint is amazing. I'm not sure what the previous owner used, but there's a noticeable difference.

Just a couple of quick shots straight out of the camera. I'll try to get some more if I get to drive around later.

e: couple of quick pics

s2k-0003 by John Gallup, on Flickr

s2k-0001 by John Gallup, on Flickr

fknlo fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jun 30, 2016

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Agent 86 posted:

Nice car. I detail the crap out of mine each weekend. Here is mine after a CG clay, CG wax applied with a Torq 10fx and a black hex logic pad.

Gorgeous. I really need to get an orbital buffer. How do you like the CG products? I hadn't bought anything for years until I bought the s2k and just grabbed a bunch of Griot's stuff which I'm liking so far.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

blindjoe posted:

I am a fan of lexol, its two bottles, a cleaner and a conditioner.
https://www.amazon.ca/Lexol-907-Leather-Care-8-Ounce/dp/B005H7DRQA

or comes in spray bottles too.

I use these for good cleanings every couple of months and Griot's Leather Care Spray for more regular cleaning when doing my interior.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Digital_Jesus posted:

Man I swapped over to Griots best of show wax and :swoon:.

It is a right motherfucker to get off though.

Use some form of quick detailer after your first buffing. Gets it off pretty quick and easy and you're right, the finish is absolutely :swoon:

I've never been a big believer in wax making some huge change in the appearance of a car but the difference was absolutely noticeable on my s2k. The paint looks way deeper and it loving pops.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Seminal Flu posted:

Well, I'm going to try to be a Porter Cable traitor. Mine is almost 20 years old, needs another backing plate and a power cord, and I've been limping it along. I wasn't planning on replacing it, but Amazon has a Torq kit on sale for $100 after the $60 coupon. For that price, that includes some of the Chemical Guys great hex pads, it's worth a shot. Does anyone have any experience with Torq?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BKT63XM

poo poo, I might have to finally jump on an orbital buffer. Seems like a pretty good deal.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Just use the Armor All Wash and Wax wipes!

I'm pretty sure I make a :stonk: face every time I see that commercial. Just rub that bird poo poo into the paint!

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
What's are the hot ceramic coatings these days? Seems like a billion options compared to the last time I had it done.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

toplitzin posted:

I think it's still the cheap off ali-express ones are what we all have.

Pretty sure i have this stuff:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Car...2841429919.html

I should have specified commercial options. I'm very, very unlikely to have time to do paint correction and ceramic coating on my own time and will probably end up paying a detailer to do things for me.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Anyone here using any of the fancy spray on si02 sealants instead of a wax or ceramic coating? I'm doing some research and they seem like they might be a pretty decent option in the ease of use while also lasting a decent amount of time area.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Finally had my M3 corrected and ceramic coated. I was going to try and get it done myself, but the time requirements combined with my workspace made it less than desirable so I had a shop do it. There was some hologramming from a po doing a bad polish job on pretty much every panel and that was my main issue.

Doesn't capture super well, but that was everywhere.

Haven't had a chance to really go over it in good lighting, but I'm definitely happy so far! They're supposed to send pics of the process and hopefully they were able to get pics of how bad it was before they corrected it. If they did I'll make sure to post them.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

MrYenko posted:

That’s the good poo poo, right there. Right into my veins.

Lmao, I just got loving rear ended. Light hit so it's probably just the bumper, but :suicide:

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

In the right turn lane. Car in front of me is stopped. I'm stopped. The lady behind me is stopped. I look up and now she's driving into me. I'm super loving angry. I may have done a bit of a burnout when traffic cleared. Pull over in a parking lot and I've already relaxed a ton and the lady gets out and is just loving shaking. She saw how pissed I was initially but I was able to calm her down. In the end it's just a car and no one was hurt, etc... Still loving sucks. I literally had a conversation with my Lyft driver about how you can't have nice things on the way to pick it up this morning. So now I need to track down a body shop and decide whether I want to gently caress with her insurance or just let mine do the work like I did the last time I was not at fault in an accident. I'll probably let my insurance deal with it since that's what the gently caress I pay them for.

Not super bad, just super loving frustrating. This is why I don't ever drive my S2000.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

MrYenko posted:

loving sucks dude.

Still, could be a lot worse. I got rear ended once at approximately the same speed, and it should have been a similar non-event, except the rear end in a top hat had a flat-tow hitch adapter on the front of his mini truck that very nearly punched a hole through the bumper cover of my car.

I also gave up on every owning a “nice” car. If I drive it on the street, I assume some rear end in a top hat is going to gently caress it up.

I guess Eve online taught me something useful, after all.

I probably wouldn't have been anywhere near as angry initially if I hadn't just spent a bunch of money on the paint stuff. It's not that bad, I'm not exactly worried about resale or anything like that, and it's just a car. I'm obviously going to do my best to be made whole with the best body money can buy and all that jazz. Will the whole car have to be redone as far as the coating goes or can they just do part of it? Because that's gonna get paid for too.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
A bird poo poo on my car at work today.

I hit it with my synthetic clay real quick but nothing. Can I just hit that spot with a polisher real quick?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

meatpimp posted:

You didn't reply to my funny joke, but the honest answer is "yes." If clay didn't do it, buff it out real quick. Try just QuickWax and I bet it'll be gone.

You didn't give me time to think about it. I should probably get out of this wrecked, poop stained mess while I still can.

I'll give some quick wax a shot.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

BraveUlysses posted:

you might check a couple of youtube videos on how to wax to make sure you're doing it right but all in all wax is really cheap so try another brand and see if you like it better.

https://www.griotsgarage.com/product/best+of+show+wax.do

FYI, that wax looks amazing but it's an absolute bitch to get off if you use too much.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

BraveUlysses posted:

never had any trouble with their stuff

it's worth noting that they changed the formula a 3-4 years ago to make it easier to buff off

Probably a good chance I have the original version. I had to use quick detailer to get it all off. Car looked amazing though!

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I got a new rear bumper painted about a week and a half ago. How long until I can take the car to a touchless car wash? Does it need to be a month? It seems like you can hand wash before 30 days but that's not super realistic this time of year with my current living situation.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

heffray posted:

How bad is your living / winter situation? I've been doing washes for a couple years with Optimum No Rinse (usually the Wash & Wax version unless I'm avoiding wax for some reason) at 1oz in 1-2gal water in a bucket, dip mitt in bucket, dry with a few microfiber towels, and it works well enough in a townhouse garage. A rinseless wet wash & dry should be reasonably easy to pull off in cold temps, without the very specific towel movements (and risk of very tiny amounts of water freezing) needed for a spray & wipe process.

I should probably do a polish + ceramic coat, but that's a lot of work at one time and just washing & applying Meguiar's spray wax as a drying aid is a good maintenance option.

I wouldn't want to do a rinse-less wash without taking it to a car wash first. We only got a little bit of snow since I got it back, but the stuff that Colorado puts on the roads turns into this thick and gritty coating that covers the entire car.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I have some pads for my polisher on the way so I figured I'd ask what my attack plan should be on this.

Some of the worst looking parts are mainly transfer but there are definitely scratches but I can't tell how deep they are. I have the chemical guys 4 pack of compound/polish.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

fknlo posted:

I have some pads for my polisher on the way so I figured I'd ask what my attack plan should be on this.

Some of the worst looking parts are mainly transfer but there are definitely scratches but I can't tell how deep they are. I have the chemical guys 4 pack of compound/polish.

Finally got around to this. I've never done anything beyond simple paint correction, so I'm not sure how much better I can get it. Album here

Highlights:

Before doing anything

After:

It was hard to capture the remaining scratches.

The final result is slightly better than that

The ones below the body line are still the most visible by far. How much better can I get that? I feel like I went to town with UC to get that result.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

MrOnBicycle posted:

Bear in mind that there is a finite layer of clear coat that you have to play with. Once you go through it'll look worse than that, so maybe it's good enough.

Yeah, and I have no idea where the limit is in that regard. I'll try and get some pics that show the scratches better. They're definitely still there and noticeable, but it's obviously significantly better than before.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I got some better pics of the remaining scratches. You can definitely feel them. Thankfully they aren't super noticeable.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Is ultimate compound good to use on headlights? I just bought a 2nd gen Prius and they need a polish.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

MrOnBicycle posted:

Edit: Don't forget to protect them after, or they'll haze up in no time again.

What's best for this? There seem to be plenty of options with really mixed reviews.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I finally got around to tossing a couple coats of the Meguiar's Hybrid Ceramic onto my M3 so we'll see how that holds up this winter. It went on top of an actual ceramic coating I had done last year.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I should probably at least do PPF on the front of my S2000. It's the opposite of a daily but still has a few paint chips from driving it. there's always a ton of debris/rocks/sand on the roads here in Colorado and it would add a bit of peace of mind.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Saw a guy use the brush at the car wash on his Ferrari whatever Spider today. Made the :stare: face as I drove by.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Any way to get that out? I hit it with some leather cleaner to no avail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Arson Daily posted:

What is the stain exactly?

Absolutely no clue. Looks like it might be marker but that's just a guess