Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

I discovered a company called Metropolitan Vacuum when looking for a small blower for cleaning out computer cases. They're an American company making small, simple, all steel vacuum cleaners and blowers. Their prices are a bit high, but because of the simple sturdy way they make their products they are frequently available used on ebay for reasonable prices. I picked up their 4 horsepower 'Omnivac' model off ebay lightly used for $120 shipped.

Amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/Metro-Vacuum-OV-4ABC-Portable-Cleaner/dp/B001U899IU

Again, a bit pricey even from amazon, but try ebay.

This vacuum is small, light and surprisingly quiet yet it sucks like a much larger shop vac. I figured it would be ideal for cleaning cars and I was right. I also bought a suction powered rotary brush attachment which does a great job at cleaning carpets.

For reference, their Vac N Blo and Omnivac models are mostly the same with different accessories and cord lengths. The Omnivac models also come with wheels while you have to buy those as a seperate accessory for the Vac N Blo models. You want to make sure you get one of the 4 hp model models though, as they also make a 1.7 hp version of most of these vacuums which I imagine would be a bit underwhelming.

Their website for more information: https://www.metrovacworld.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Anyone have any experience with or thoughts on sapphire V1 ceramic? I've got a local detailing shop which is very highly reviewed and seems to do good work but that is their ceramic of choice and I'm finding mixed information about it online.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

The Wolf's detailing shop.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

I used aquapel for years on a previous car and while it worked great I feel like over time (3-4 years) it exacerbated permanent streaking from the wipers and eventually made it harder to clean bugs off the windshield. Is this just me, or have others had issues like this?

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

I've been having a hell of a time figuring out how to keep my black car looking nice. I live in an apartment complex that doesn't allow me to wash my car in the lot, so my options are basically automatic washes or a car wash manual bay.

Touchless automatic: I used this for years on my old car and it destroyed the polished aluminum "chrome" trim. It also damaged the wheel finish. The detailer who did the ceramic on my new car (who used to own multiple car washes) says this is because they use harsher chemicals in touchless washes which attack certain non-painted surfaces. He recommended I just use the touch wash as he can easily buff out those scratches once a year.

Touch automatic: I tried this but after 6 months the scratches are getting really annoying. I don't think my local washes do a good job keeping their brushes clean.

Manual car wash bay: these are ok, but the problem I run into is water spots. Even if you thoroughly rinse with the "spot free" setting it still spots up badly unless you completely dry the car by hand. I used to do this with microfiber towels but washing them frequently was getting annoying and I still worry about picking up grit and scratching with them. I just bought a 56v electric leaf blower with a short padded nozzle for car drying, and it works pretty well, but it takes about 10 mins and a full battery to dry the car and even then it doesn't get 100%. The other downside to this is the manual bays don't have unlimited wash memberships so this winds up being much more expensive in terms of both cost and time.

Am I missing something here? Is there a better way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

I used Aquapel on a previous car but I haven't used it on my two most recent ones because I felt like over time it built up permanent streaks and caused bugs to stick to the windshield more.