Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
What's the best way to deal with a bit of mold growing inside my car? It's on the steering wheel and on the race seat.

I've had a damprid container in the car for the last month.
I bought a cheap ozone generator and ran it for about 20 minutes the other night, which should have killed the mold.

Diluted bleach and a brush?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I have a cheapie ozone generator that I got off amazon and have tried using it in my 330i to clear up some of the ~funk~ that I smell when I turn off the air conditioning. Should I run it again or try spraying some lysol down into the vents to kill off whatever is growing down there?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
20 minutes, recirculate was on IIRC

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

hello detailing thread

i'm cleaning up my e30 before i put it up for sale and i took off the rear spoiler so that i could clean up the paint a bit and these areas aren't cleaning up with my Griots 6" DA buffer and BOSS fast correcting cream. i think it's 25+ years of pollen and dirt collecting at this spot and not being a particularly easy spot to clean.

It's a single stage paint and i'm not willing to start wet sanding to try to solve this, so what kind of options do i have to get this cleaned up?

thanks!

OBAMNA PHONE fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jul 30, 2017

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I'll give it a try with clay but that's the limit of my give a poo poo factor on this car...it's a 27 year old track car at this point and i'm not taking any chances of loving up my paint with sanding

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I'm just going to accept that the spot is turbofucked and will leave it as is.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
So this cquartz stuff is a replacement for a sealant? i assume you skip waxing too?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
do you mean like a tire shine product? there's tons of them out there, some are glossier than others but all work about the same

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
get a synthetic clay and do the whole car in 20 minutes after you wash it thoroughly. so much faster and easier than normal clay.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I got one of the griots ones that is a puck shaped sponge and I love it. I no longer hate claying and it's far more ergonomic than the normal stuff.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
nothing smells as bad as the fallout/contaminant cleaner stuff

cherry scented burned hair

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
get one of the synthetic claybars, they work so much faster and easier than real clay. much better ergonomically too.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I'm completely shameless in my love for everything at griots garage

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
yeah, they rule cause you can do the whole car in about 30 minutes right after you wash it. just dump all your dirty soap water and make a fresh bucket of suds and go for it.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Here4DaGangBang posted:

What are the synthetic clays like, physically? Do they work in just the same way?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JsJrOps2lQ

its some sort of magical rubber material. griot's lasts about 25 cars worth of cleaning if you get the round sponge one. the mitt ones last longer but i like the ergo benefits of the round one better.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
it's worth mentioning that windex has ammonia in it and you should never use that on windows with tint

i buy this stuff from costco in a six pack and it takes a while to use all 6 cans:

https://www.amazon.com/Sprayway-Glass-Cleaner-Aerosol-Spray/dp/B0052V1JA2

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Hackjack posted:

Thanks for the recommendation! Watched the whole hour and found it super informative.

Are there any recommended cheaper, more commonly available, or better alternatives to the branded formulas in the video? Ammo Foam in particular.

foam? which product specifically?

Griot's Garage products arent cheap per se but its a lot less expensive than the stuff on that site.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Josh Lyman posted:

How long does a bottle of ONR last? It's $20 on Amazon which is like 10 washes at a self serve. though the closest of those to me will be 6 miles away.

where are you? i have a jug that's been sitting around for 5+ years and i only used a tiny bit of it. you're welcome to it if you're local to seattle.

Larrymer posted:

Whoever recommended synthetic clay (https://www.amazon.com/Griots-Garag...=synthetic+clay) was on the loving money. I drove my white car all winter with apparently very metallic brake pads so the sides were absolutely covered.

Picture doesn't do how bad it was justice, per usual. I tried the bar for the first time and holy poo poo, I can't praise it enough. It takes 1/10 of the time as a normal clay bar. I did the entire car in probably half an hour. It was silly. It's best on flat surfaces as I ran into a bit of streaking at the edges where panels meet up, but overall pretty pleased with it. I don't think I'll ever go back to the conventional ones, even if this only lasts a few uses.

me me me i'm the shameless griots fanboy

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
yes, they are fantastic and so much better than traditional clay

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Seminal Flu posted:

I've got a Chemical Guys foam sprayer and it works great with a garden hose.

this one looks to be the same design as the Gilmour one posted a few posts up, same price on amazon too for either one.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
well it might have stripped the wax off if there was any on there in the first place...did you wax it?

go buy the meguire's gold bottle from costco, that stuff works well for how cheap it is

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
with the amazing amount of education you get from youtube on many subjects, i'd say you should just buck up and buy an orbital, a bunch of pads and supplies and go for it. its really not that complicated or difficult, just a bit time consuming.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Goober Peas posted:

That's crazytown level of effort for seats in that bad condition. He literally could have installed new leather in the same amount of time or less.

chances of that matching the other seat though? not so good.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Love my Griot's DA but I have not used any other band of da

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

nitsuga posted:

Clay barring really did make my paint feel better. This'll probably be good enough for now, but there are some scratches (swirls and some deeper scratches) that I'd rather not fix by hand if I can help it. Anyway, is the Harbor Freight DA polisher any good or if I should just save up for a 7424XP?

personally i would find the side handle annoying AF on that PC. i really like the u-shaped handle on my griots DA

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
whats the good product for clearing up the air conditioning stink?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Here4DaGangBang posted:

So, like a lazy fuckwit I left birdshit on my (black) car for some time and after giving its first wash in about a year the other day the paint looks raised in the area where the bird poo poo was, it's weird. I think you can slightly feel it with your finger too. I've been meaning to give the car a thorough going over with clay, polish, wax/sealant etc., but I'm guessing that's not going to fix this defect now. Experts, how boned do you think I am here?

birdshit can create a nasty spot on a car within hours...you probably wont get far with a claybar on a spot like that (still worth trying though)

you'll probably end up needing to use a polisher with some medium correction to start with

OBAMNA PHONE fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Sep 3, 2019

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
sigh

puppies, amirite???

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
i got one of the gilmour garden sprayer foamers and really dont like it. didnt seem worth the effort imo.

but rather than throw it away, i'll ship it to anyone who wants it provided they pay for shipping. pm if interested.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Dave Inc. posted:

What is the general consensus on synthetic clay kits, or the silicone-rubber synthetic clay bars? I bought one of the rubbery ones and I'm not terribly impressed, but it could be that I'm just using it improperly. I've used real clay bar in the past to great effect, so feeling a little disappointed with this product.

ive been using the griots garage synthetic clay and it works extremely well. i wash the car, rinse it off and then get another fresh bucket of soapy water and use that as the lubricant for the clay "bar"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JsJrOps2lQ

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
and how old is the product that you're using? how big of an area are you doing at once? are you using foam pads or those lovely boot/covers? what kind of buffer?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
you might check a couple of youtube videos on how to wax to make sure you're doing it right but all in all wax is really cheap so try another brand and see if you like it better.

https://www.griotsgarage.com/product/best+of+show+wax.do

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
never had any trouble with their stuff

it's worth noting that they changed the formula a 3-4 years ago to make it easier to buff off

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Goober Peas posted:

How do you guys keep your microfibers from spreading dust? The first use is great, but even after washing, subsequent uses leaves a layer of dust esp on windows.

this sounds like you store them somewhere that they can collect a lot of dust. i've washed mine dozens of times and they still work great

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Minto Took posted:

Sorry for the silly questions if they've already been discussed:

- Are Griot's Garage products respected at all?
- Should I get a real polisher instead of using my power ball?

griots stuff is great!

the power ball is fine for like polishing small things but you would never want to polish your whole car with it

everdave posted:

Maybe everyone knows about this but it seems amazing to me, had scratches and rust in said scratches on roof of one of my Japanese campers. Used this Krud Kitter that was on clearance at Walmart and some dollar store supplies and I am stunned. Unless the RV is now going to split in half I see no downside. You don’t need as much just squirt a little on the s rubber and it just gets the rust off. Uploaded to YouTube:

https://youtu.be/PN-njmtruA0

to be clear, you're removing rust stains, not actual rust. i still winced at using a green pad on paint but i guess it's up to you how you want to treat your car

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
my buddy sent me these pics asking if I have a buffer :aaa:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Motronic posted:

That's totally a boat/kayak/whatever that got thrown on top after being drug up on the sand.

motronic is 💯 correct

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
you should do a two bucket method for washing, one for clean soapy water and the second one with the grit guard for dirty water

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
yeah, it's a great product and i highly recommend it. i'm on my second one...i'm not sure it lasts as many cars as the packaging indicates but i did get a lot of use out of it.

so i'm fixing up a car to sell, its a 2006 altima with a fair number of chips (some of which are rusty) and dings, what is my best option for a colorchip repair? i dont want to spend toooooo much time fixing it, would prefer to get it flipped fast but im hoping theres a process that can repair these fast enough and without too much labor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

LeeMajors posted:

Apparently I'm an idiotic, rear end in a top hat rube who's just used Windex for several decades and Invisible Glass is way loving better. Holy poo poo.

I tried out the Griot's synthetic clay with some Quik Detailer for some rough spots on my hood and water spots but I think the surface was a little too hot. It seemed to like to stick a little bit. Loaded that fucker down (and the surface) and still didn't really want to slide after the first pass.

I started first thing in the am but it's like 80 at sunrise here anyway and the truck is black. I buffed everything out and threw a coat of wax on the hood to make sure I didn't gently caress anything up (and it looks fine) but i'll probably wait awhile to try to clay it again - maybe this fall - unless I'm missing something really basic here.

fyi next time you use the griots synthetic clay, you can use it with a batch of fresh, soapy water instead of the expensive quick detailer stuff