Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

meatpimp posted:

Water blade here, too. Followed by drips/contours/jambs with an The Absorber. Sounds corny, but those things really do a good job for finishing.

This is my approach as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Not to be a dick at all - I appreciate what you're trying to do - but I see a dented hood with no clearcoat left. For a ZX2. Could you not find one in better shape at a pick-n-pull for the price of the gear you're buying to restore that one?

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Well I'll be - thought single-stage paint was like a 50's/60's and earlier thing. Go on with your polishing self!

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

InitialDave posted:

http://imgur.com/gallery/fRlCQ

That's an impressive before and after.

So was that a flood car? How else could it get like that?

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Leal posted:

Well, it wasn't rain this time. What should I keep in my trunk for when the weather decides to have crazy winds that completely coat my car in dust?

And I was so happy with how I got it looking yesterday :shepface:

California duster?

https://www.autogeek.net/caldus.html

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

ratbert90 posted:

Only if you want swirls and scratches.

Hasn't ever been a problem on my black car? I get the fear but they're actually good.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Current opinion on good cheap wax/protection? I've used the Meguiars Ultimate synthetic wax in the past and it seemed fine (I love the whole Ultimate line). Helped detail a friend's car and used NuFinish, which was super easy to apply and remove. I've used Zymol carnuba in the past (made red paint look amazing), and had a brief affair with Zaino (liked the protection but had a "plastic" look to the gloss that wasn't as soft as carnuba).

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

fknlo posted:

Any way to get that out? I hit it with some leather cleaner to no avail.

Super light attempt with magic eraser?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

The nanoskin mits are outstanding. Use light pressure with soapy water/clay specific lubricant otherwise they can stick/mar. It'll feel scratchy then smooth out as you remove contamination.

EDIT:

Speaking of, did the first ever paint correction on my '02 SS - wash/nanoskin clay followed by Maguiar's ultimate compound, then ultimate polish, and then two coats of Blackfire Blackice hybrid wax.

Really REALLY like how the wax turned out. Has more "glow" (from the carnauba component I assume) vs the very clear "plastic" look from synthetics I've tried in the past (looking at you Zaino). Polished off super easy even in hot-ish conditions.

amenenema fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Aug 17, 2023