Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
I dunno, I spend all summer detailing for car shows, and I've always towel dried mine. I normally use smaller bath towel-style terry towels, and go through 2-3 getting the car dry. Crevices get blown dry using an air compressor, or just left to naturally dry if I'm not in a hurry. If the towel touches the ground, it goes in the "dirty" basket, and I grab a fresh one. Like these:

http://www.towelsbydoctorjoe.com/thinkthick-2-1.aspx

Quick detailing at shows is normally microfiber towels and detailing spray. I love the Porter-Cable buffer the OP recommends though, and an orbital buffer for applying wax is a huge help as well. Sears' 10 inch buffer is great, along with some microfiber or soft terry bonnets.

I'm personally a fan of Meguiar's products, but that's because they're easily available and not terribly expensive. I tend to wash/wax/detail every week or two during the summer, with a bigger cleaning every spring and fall when I pull the car from storage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!

ratbert90 posted:

Understandable, and noted. As I said, I don't for a few reasons.

1) I'm lazy and holding a leaf blower is easier than towel drying.
2) Drying with a leaf blower is awesome
3) I don't have to take the extra step of using compressed air AFTER I towel dry
4) If water catches a pad from a crevice I missed, product gets slung everywhere, which is annoying.

Fair enough. I don't own a leaf blower, otherwise I'm sure I'd have tried it at some point! Also agreed on the product fling. Normally I'll wash one day, and wax the next. The car is parked in a garage all the time regardless, but then again it's not my daily transport, so I'm lucky in that respect.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
A quality lambs wool or microfiber wash mitt helps with swirls as well, as long as your was bucket is clean. I'm OCD about avoiding sand when I wash, to the point that I have 3-4 wash mitts just in case one touches the ground. Also using a soft touch and clean microfiber towels when using detailer's spray.

What does everyone use for interiors? I HATE the super glossy Armor-All look, so I've been using a low-gloss Meguiar's interior spray. It cleans and leaves a very faint shine, but I'm wondering if there's something better I could try.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

I love you!
Can you get 3" backers to attach to the HF polisher? I know I went from a 6" to 5" for mine, but I don't know that I've searched for smaller.

Edit: like the Meguiar's DBP3 or similar. 3" hook and loop backer plate, then you just need matching 3" pads from Meguiar's, Chemical Guys, or whomever.

PitViper fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Sep 15, 2021