Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh
I have a new car.
I have a heated garage that is kept around 60F/15C - which is as low as it will go for various reasons.
I live where they liberally salt the roads.

What is my best course of action to prevent pre-mature corrosion?

Should I just leave the car outside and deal with getting in a cold car every once in a while, or rinse off the car every week or so (either at home or at the local self-wash)? I've heard that the self-washing places recycle/filter the water and I'd be rinsing it off with water that has a non-zero salt content, defeating the whole purpose of rinsing it off. I also feel like on a cold dry winter day when the car is also dry, if I rinse the car off and drive it home while it's semi-wet, it will pick up a bunch more salt on the 2-minute drive home and exacerbate the problem more than if I had just left it dry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh
I have a black Audi that's about a year old that has some pretty minor swirling thanks to a careless dealer and some other light scratches from general use. I'd like to fix it up with a DA (I've tried by hand with no luck) and also put some sealant+wax on since it's winter for like 6 months of the year here and washing/re-waxing is difficult during that time.

So I'm going to buy a DA, but am unsure what pads to buy. I assume black foam will be fine for applying sealant and wax, but for actual polishing should I use orange? On such a new car, maybe I should go with a green one if orange will cut too much? Would I need to follow up an orange with a white? So many colours...

I've also heard that microfiber pads work well on Audis, in which case I'm assuming I would just need a polishing pad and a finishing pad to do what I need to do.

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh
I fell behind on my regular wash routine and I should decontaminate my car properly, but I haven't done it thoroughly in a couple years. Back then, using a clay bar or those Nanoskin synthetic things was the way to go - is that still the case? My car has PPF from the A-pillar forward - can you clay PPF?