Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Somehow the outside of my glass got scratched after a tint job - one of the scratches is loving huge. Is there anything that can be done about this?

I'm taking it back tomorrow, but I imagine they'll tell me that it was not there before and whelp.

RIP Paul Walker fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Mar 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

subx posted:

On another note, anyone know what material would be good for taking off those little sharpie marks that get put on when a car goes to auction? My moms car has a little black "x" on each headlight I want to remove for her, but I don't want to hurt the headlight UV protection.

I've not used it on a car, but I've had great luck writing over a sharpie with a dry erase pen, and then wiping both off. Always worked for me.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

I'm going to be attempting that soon, on my e46's stock 17's. Research indicates it should be fairly easy.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

blk posted:

Got a link to a guide you're following?

I'd prefer to provide links + comments after I'm done. I've googled the poo poo out of it and found some good stuff, but there isn't anything like advice gathered from doing it yourself.

I might (big might) get cracking on it tonight. I've got to drive out to the shop to swap cars as it is (plus the shop has drinkable water http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2014/05/portland_boil_water_alert_what.html :smith:)

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

I know I will be shot for this, but the non-aerosol ammonia-free armor all glass cleaner is the bees knees. Works awesome, no streaks, and super easy to use. Also cheap.

Your mileage may vary. I bought it because it was the cheapest ammonia-free glass cleaner and have been way more impressed with it than any aerosol cleaner (and I have tried them all).

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Motronic posted:

I don't think anyone is going to put you down range for that, but have you compared it to the very common suggestion (and what I use) of Stoner Invisible Glass?

Yup and IMHO the armor all stuff is much better.

RIP Paul Walker fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jun 18, 2014

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Bape Culture posted:

Buy poor boys black hole for small rear end scratches if you can't be arsed machining.

Wow, if reviews are anything to go by, i gotta try this

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

scuz posted:

Used Simple Green til that ran out (had a lot less than I thought), and had to use this stuff:

It. Is. Amazing. Also very inexpensive (like $1.99 on sale). This and a microfiber cloth and the van is much more comfortable. Cut through all that caked-on junk that was probably vomit or piss (van was a municipal detox van in Iowa). The carpet is beyond all help so it'd be fun to re-carpet the thing, but that might be a waste of money.

I have a bottle of the concentrated purple Zep poo poo, and one of their nice chemical bottles to mix it up in. I think I do a 20:1 mix for most stuff, and it works fantastically. Way better than simple green.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Linux Nazi posted:

I cannot, for the life of me, get my glass to be really really clean. Even on my newer car, I'll think I have it clean until light hits it a certain way and then I see a ton of streaks. And not just residual cleaner, just residual stuff that doesn't ever truly go away no matter how much I try and clean it.

I mean, everyday people probably think it's spotless, but I KNOW THE TRUTH!

It drives me batty, what is the best way to get it clean?

I hate to plug an armor all product, but their glass cleaner + a clean cheap (like the Costco ones) microfiber has treated me really well. I've tried stoners and whatever else, and imho the armor all stuff is better.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

The harbor freight DA (at least the one I tried) is absolute loving garbage.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Go to the detailing section and buy whatever leather cleaner is there (it's the crappy conditioners that make it shiny). Or use a cloth damped with warm water.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

the spyder posted:

RIP PAUL WALKER came by and we shocked his Passat, it had no problem removing the smoke/mold/musty odor/sweet stench after three (15-20min) treatments.

I think I may need to do another deep-clean and/or another shock, the smell has come back, albiet a bit less.

To be fair, the Passat was reallllly gross and the ozone machine helped a fair bit. It's beein airing out indoors for a few days now...

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

I picked up the cheap HF random orbital when it was $49, seems fine enough so far - I still use my rotary for heavy corrections because it's so easy, but the random orbital is super nice for finishing

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

scuz posted:

Do ozone generators remove human pee smells?

...it's a long story.

Depends on their diet.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

scuz posted:

Omnivorous.

The only reason I ask is because I've read it both ways (that ozone removes pee smell and that it doesn't) so I'm hoping that y'all've tried this before.

I was serious, it depends on their diet. Only one way to find out...

They also said it gets mold gone, and it didn't do as good of a job as I'd have hoped, so if they're a disgusting drunk that eats nothing but McDonalds and drinks nothing but soda, you're hosed.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

I didn't know Mr. Larry had so many touchup videos but he does.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xi3xmeO6C4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5QAjWbx03s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2aC_oseMe4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDWWtk-XVtQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xi3xmeO6C4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cdsw4-8Wy0

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

meatpimp posted:

Yesterday I picked up a Mytee HD60 carpet/upholstery cleaner made primarily for car detailing. Bonus is that it came with three attachments, one of them a full-length wide one for use on regular carpets. Works loving tits and I got it for $230. One of my best craigslist buys ever. It''s the first model, so it's green instead of the newer bright blue, but still made within the past 4 years.

http://www.autogeek.net/mytee-hp60-spyder-carpet-extractor.html

You motherfucker...

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

Using a palm sander with a microfiber cloth to apply compound and wax: clever use of poo poo I have lying around or fast lane to ruining my car?

Neither. It doesn't do anything. loving useless. I can't remember why I tried it, but yeah. Pointless.

Might be OK for applying wax, but by hand was easier.

Josh Lyman posted:

Maybe one day I'll care that much but for now, would touch up paint help?

Bad advice alert: I've had shockingly good luck making damage like that less noticeable (also on a Prius!) with my cheap HF rotary buffer, one of their cheap foam pads (can't remember which one, doesn't really matter) and the cheap turtle wax rubbing compound. You'll obviously never be able to get rid of the black parts, but I suspect you can make the white scratches fade away with just a little effort. Rotaries and rubbing compound aren't as scary as you think, if you're not a retard, and it's not like it can get much worse!

RIP Paul Walker fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jul 26, 2017

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

I might just be drinking the kool aid but Ammo's new rinseless wash setup looks promising: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDxRPQLh_zA

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

For stripping wax and other nasty poo poo that doesn't come off with regular washing, I am newly a fan of this stuff: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Purple-Power-Heavy-Duty-Vehicle-and-Boat-Pressure-Wash-Concentrate/50941516

Put it in my hose attachment foamer (also from Walmart, it's whatever one they sell on the shelf) and it's brilliant - loads of lubricant, smells nice, dries easily, leaves a very clean surface behind for whatever steps are next.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

This is what I've been using for regular seat maintenance: https://www.amazon.com/Chemical-Guy...=gateway&sr=8-1

Seems to do a good job getting dye from jeans out.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

nitsuga posted:

Clay barring really did make my paint feel better. This'll probably be good enough for now, but there are some scratches (swirls and some deeper scratches) that I'd rather not fix by hand if I can help it. Anyway, is the Harbor Freight DA polisher any good or if I should just save up for a 7424XP?

I like mine a lot, but haven’t used any others so take that with a grain of salt. For times when I want to be really aggressive I still prefer my (also HF) rotary.

E: take off all the handles, gently caress handles on buffers.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Tint glue removal: Degreaser from the dollar store. I forget which one, but one of them worked a treat for me. They’re probably all the same, so I doubt it matters which one. The internet should provide more details, it’s where I got the idea.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

MomJeans420 posted:

I tried a couple of things yesterday but nothing seemed amazing. I think my window cleaner is the kind without ammonia, so I need to track down some of the good poo poo and give it a shot. I tried 99% rubbing alcohol, WD-40, and bug and tar remover, neither one worked great by themselves. What did seem to work was first soaking it in the 99% alcohol, which dissolves it but then just kind of smears over the window, then spraying either WD-40 or bug and tar remover over that, and wiping it up.

I'll give the real Windex a shot later today.

Seriously, dollar store degreaser. Trust me.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

No first hand experience but my understanding is Dr. Colorchip and their ilk work great. I plan to use it to try and hide the fact I should have gotten clear bra on my new car.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

I’m ashamed to say it, but I use one of those hose-mounted foam guns for regular washes and really like it. It lets me knock out a really fast rinse-bucket-only wash.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Clear coat stuff is super useful, thank you for sharing.

My MR2 had a maaco paint job before I bought it, and there is a ton of overspray on the rubber. Is there an easy way to remove that, even if it’s been on there for many years? It’s ok if it damages the paint, I plan to repaint since the maaco job is peeling and looks like dogshit.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

I’ve always gone with the cheapest tint that offers a lifetime fade warranty and have been happy. My BMW is going on a decade+ with Suntek carbon 18% and I don’t see any evidence of fade/peel/etc. My other cars are tinted with the same tint and I’m still happy but they’re much newer tint jobs.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

I wish I PPF’d my Hyundai when I got it… thousands of highway miles at totally the speed limit have wrecked it, including the windshield

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

I’ve had suntek carbon 18% on my BMW for at least a decade and it’s in great shape other than a couple places where it got scratched. No fading or anything, looks great. My other cars also have Suntek Carbon and look great but they’re much more recent installs.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

BraveUlysses posted:

imo definitely don't skip the clay but it's definitely a good idea to buy a synthetic clay instead.

:emptyquote: because synthetic clay is a miracle. Drop it and rinse it off, it's big and easy to use... Regular claybars are almost pointless these days.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

On some of my older jankier cars with black trim I’ve liked using watered-down cheap tire dressing, it seems to last a long time.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Gloss black exterior trim? I use a fine polish (meguires ultimate IIRC) and microfiber, it would need to be really bad scratching for me to bust out a buffer. That plastic is so soft you don’t need a very aggressive product at all.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

reversefungi posted:

It's got a ton of scratches but none are deep from what I can see, so I'll give hand polishing a shot! If the scratches are stubborn to that, then I should try an actual buffer?

Maaaaaybe but I’d want to see pictures first. I’d be worried about making it worse, since it is typically *really* soft plastic. Make sure to be gentle with your fingers - even pressure is very important.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

I’d *probably* keep going at it with more polish. Don’t be shy about using a lot of polish, and since it seems like you’re capable of being gentle you can be a bit more aggressive with the application.

The compound will also work and work faster, but you’ll likely need to polish afterwards because it’s coarser and will leave a haze.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

I'm not saying to do this on leather, but you can remove permanent marker from plastic and stuff by drawing over it with permanent marker and then wiping if off.

I heard that awhile back and finally got to try it and it worked.

Use a dry erase marker instead. Same effect but way less risk IMHO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

bull3964 posted:

Would the marker trick work for any other reason than you are applying the marker's solvent to the surface?

Modern permanent markers just use either ethanol or isopropyl alcohol so it seems like you could cut out a lot of the risk just by using the solvent directly.

The trick is just using the right strength of the solvent to remove the mark without starting to affect the underlying surface.

I dunno, I do know that younger me tried different options and dry erase marker on the mark was the best, possibly because the “applicator” did something better?