Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

adorai posted:

lets pretend for a minute that I suck at detailing, and I didn't mask off the rubber/plastic bits before I waxed one day last summer. How do I get the wax off of these pieces without expending an entire days effort?

This sounds ridiculous and you'll probably laugh, but, peanut butter.

Its insanely effective. Just put a tiny (and I mean tiny, you don't need much) amount of peanut butter on a piece of cloth (microfiber, cotton, paper towel, whatever) and rub the white wax residue with it and then wipe it clean with a clean section of the cloth.

It works immediately and doesn't dull the black trim at all. It's not messy at all unless you use too much peanut butter. I was skeptical at first of this too but I've done it a few times now and it works so well.

WD-40 works too but it's much messier.

Phone posted:

What do you recommend for not getting water spots? Wax?

Waterspots are somewhat inevitable especially with a darker color car, but wax actually makes waterspots worse in my experience because pollen sticks to the wax and wax causes the water to bead up on the surface with the pollen instead of laying flat, and then when it dries in the sun you get little spots wherever the beads of water/pollen were.

Sealants seem to work better than wax and seem to dramatically reduce water spots compared to waxes in my experience, I think because they bead up less than carnauba waxes and pollen/dust doesn't stick to them as much. My favorite is Ultima Paint Guard Plus, very dumb name I know but it's extremely easy to apply and it lasted 11 months on my car.

Brain Issues fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Mar 26, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

PitViper posted:

A quality lambs wool or microfiber wash mitt helps with swirls as well, as long as your was bucket is clean. I'm OCD about avoiding sand when I wash, to the point that I have 3-4 wash mitts just in case one touches the ground. Also using a soft touch and clean microfiber towels when using detailer's spray.

What does everyone use for interiors? I HATE the super glossy Armor-All look, so I've been using a low-gloss Meguiar's interior spray. It cleans and leaves a very faint shine, but I'm wondering if there's something better I could try.

I hate the glossy look too. I just clean my interior with Optimum No Rinse diluted to the quick detailing spray ratio whenever I wash my car, which is also what I use as my quick detailer. It's very cheap. If it's really dirty I use DP Interior cleaner.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

revmoo posted:

Use a quick detailing product and a microfiber if you want to wipe your paint down. That will at least help buffer the grit against scratching your paint too badly. Really you should just wash though.

I don't use QD to clean between washes like I used to, it definitely caused light scratches and swirls on both cars I've owned. I now just either do a full wash, or if my car isn't that dirty I'll do a rinseless wash with ONR, but that's the least I'll do.

If I get birdpoop on my car between washes I use this technique to remove it as soon as possible and I haven't noticed any damage by doing this.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/23231-how-safely-remove-dried-bird-dropping.html

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

the spyder posted:

Can anyone recommend a carpet cleaner? My shop was behind a detail shop and I was spoiled by the twin vac massive unit they had. It worked amazing. I need something smaller (that can also do carpets) for home use.

Bissell Little Green Machine

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

TheFrailNinja posted:

I was looking up how to clean wheels and tires and I found this:

http://www.autogeek.net/wheelstires.html

I have steel wheels that I painted enamel black. I just scrub them with a scrubby and regular car wash and they clean up nice, but I can never keep my tires clean. On the page I linked, it says that tire shine sprays can accumulate and turn brown. My tires have some brown crud accumulating on the innermost part of the tire, I assume that's tire shine crud? I spray them down every time I wash it. And is regular tire shine actually bad for tires like that page says? Since I got these tires (about a year ago), at least one or two of them has has some brownish ring around it (different from the other one), like the rubber is a different color. What the hell? Should I scrub it? Finally, how do I keep the white letters clean? I feel like every time I scrub them down, I am just taking off rubber and road poo poo and depositing it on the white letters, not to mention wearing out my scrubbies in a hurry, as they get all full of black poo poo.

Yeah I used to use cheap tire dressing from parts stores and noticed my tires turning brown when it wore off. I've been using Optimum Opti-bond for a while now and when it wears off they just look like non-dressed tires, no more browning.

I bought a gallon of Opti-bond and dilute it 1:1 with water because its very thick water based gel, its a bit easier to apply once diluted. So it's basically $35 for 2 gallons of tire dressing.

Avoid this dressing if you want your tires to look shiny/glossy. When this dressing dries it just makes your tires look brand new, it doesn't make them look shiny and dressed. They just look like brand new tires, which is what I like.

Brain Issues fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Aug 23, 2012

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Scott808 posted:

If any of you guys wants to pick up a DA polisher - Amazon has the 25 foot cord Griot's Garage 6" for $96 right now. They also had the 10 foot cord version for $80, but it appears to be sold out.

I couldn't resist since the only machine I have is a PC7336 from several years ago.

You're going to love the Griot's. I recommend getting a 5" backing plate and 5.5" pads if you don't already have them.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Lowclock posted:

So I've got a '94 BMW 540 with original paint that needs some love. What kind of pads and product should I be looking at to go with a 7424XP? I'm pretty sure it's single stage paint, if that matters, and it just has some swirls and is a little hazy in some spots, no cracking or anything like that.

Also, any recommendations for a good wax that doesn't cost a ton?
Lake country 5.5" CCS pads. http://www.autogeek.net/lake-country-ccs-pack1.html 3 orange, 3 white.

Good cheap wax: Poorboy's Natty's Red http://www.autogeek.net/poorboys-nattys-red-wax.html

Make sure you get a 5" backing plate and not a 6" when you buy your PC7424xp

Viggen posted:

I have some hard water spots on a black car. Washing them and gently buffing did not get them out. They're not noticeable until you get within 2'. Please tell me there's an option other than 'put your elbow into it'..

What do you mean by "gently buffing"? What did you use?

Try clay bar. If that doesn't work try going to a parts store and getting some Meguiar's 205 and buffing it by hand with an applicator pad if you don't own a buffer.

Brain Issues fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Sep 26, 2012

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Lowclock posted:

Thanks. Are the CCS pads really worth getting over the regular ones that come with autogeek's 7424xp kit? Would I still go with orange and white?
I'm not sure which pads come with the kit but I do prefer the Lake Country CCS pads over the Lake Country flat pads, I have 6 of each both in 5.5". I explain why below.

If you haven't bought a buffer yet I recommend buying the Griot's Garage 6" buffer and buying the pads seperately only if it's cheaper. The Griot's Garage buffer has a more powerful motor so it's easier to keep spinning under pressure than the PC7424xp. I believe the Griot's has a lifetime warranty also. You will definitely want 6 pads for the first time you do your car if it needs any decent amount of correction.

Scott808 posted:

Is there a reason you prefer the CCS pads? From the things I've read it seems like most people prefer the regular flat pads and think the CCS thing is mostly a gimmick. I have no experience with them myself, although I do have a few of the CCS hand pads that I intend to use on really tight spaces. I couldn't find the normal flat hand pads, but of course there's no velcro on the backside of the hand pad, so I guess that side is effectively a regular flat pad.

Are you buying a new PC XP or do you already own one? GG6 for $90 at BJs Warehouse. On sale until 9-30, I think.

FedEx guy delivered my GG DA yesterday. Can't wait to try it out.
I prefer the CCS pads over the flat ones because they seem to give me slightly longer working time and I don't have to use as much product. When the pad starts to dry out I just turn off the buffer for a second, press the pad down on the paint a couple times and it's good to go again for awhile.

I think this is because the pockets in the pad. Another reason I like them better is they seem to be more durable than my lake country flat pads, though I have no proof or way to measure this, you'll just have to take my word for it I guess. You're going to love the Griot's DA.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

SouthLAnd posted:

Is this Meguiar's kit a good deal for someone that is basically starting from scratch nothing? My last car was a beater and rusty and I didn't pay much attention to the finish, but now I have a new car and want to keep it nice.

http://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-Complete-Car-Care-Kit/dp/B0012ZEZ8A/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1348711680&sr=1-1
No I wouldn't buy that kit. Most of that stuff is junk.

http://www.autogeek.net/ultima-paint-guard-plus-4.html
Not a wax but a sealant. Easy to apply, lasts a longg time.
http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-no-rinse.html
Mix this stuff up in various dilutions and use it for cleaning EVERYTHING.
http://www.autogeek.net/griots-detailing-clay.html
Obvious clay bar

Meguiar's Gold Class Car wash Soap (or Dawn)
A good wash mitt
2 buckets, grit guards.

Just be extra careful washing it and don't take it to tunnel washes if you want to maintain the finish.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

sean10mm posted:

What's the safest way to remove (or just make less noticable) light scuffs on the surface of body-colored bumper covers?

Depends on the type of mark. Is it on top of the paint or scratched into the paint? Is it scratches or stone chips? Need more information.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

sean10mm posted:

Looks like a bunch of small scratches on the surface, doesn't look like it penetrates the paint.

Wash your car so there's no dirt on the area you'll be rubbing and buy some of the Meguiar's Ultimate Polish or Meguiar's ColorX and buff the affected area with it. You don't need to push hard, just make lots of light pressure passes until the marks are gone.

Ideally you need a non-abrasive chemical polish but I'm not aware of any you'll find at a store other than ColorX.

Meguiar's Ultimate polish is very light on the abrasive scale so as long as you're not pressing hard you shouldnt be removing much if any clear coat by hand.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Viggen posted:

I just used a microfiber towel and half-assed buffing the most noticeable spots. Since they disappeared after doing so, I gave it a bit of spray wax (yeah, I know its mostly worthless).

I may just have to break down and claybar the car. I can't deliver it looking like crap. Thanks.

Clay bar may not even work, look at the spots very closely and see if they have pitted the paint. I've had water spots so bad that they actually ate through part of the clear. If it's below the surface, clay bar won't do anything, and it will need to be machine polished.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Weinertron posted:

Detail guys: Would you expect the paint to stay in better shape on a car that had been opti-coated, or one that had wax applied every 3 months? I'm considering getting an opti-coat done, the idea of never having to wax is appealing but I'm not completely sold on it being worth the money.

Neither wax or opticoat are going to keep it looking nice by themselves though, one bad wash will still leave you with swirls. Wash technique is the most important thing to maintaining your cars finish.

That being said, Opticoat will protect your paint better than any wax or sealant that I know of from bird poo poo, contaminants, etc. Opti-coat is basically like another layer of clearcoat, so if it gets damaged you can hopefully buff it off and your actual paint won't be harmed, at least that's the idea. Wax is the same idea but more a temporary, less hardy protection than Opticoat.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

zundfolge posted:

Does anyone have any hints for getting washer fluid stains off of white paint? I filled up my washer reservoir with a Rain-X fluid that has an orange dye in it, and it's left some spots on my hood that won't come off, even with vigorous scrubbing.

Try some Meguiar's ColorX.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

standardtoaster posted:

So I have la little bit of rust emerging on my factory black steel wheels that is showing through my hubcap spokes. Could I just use some black rustoleum or something to touch them up? (I will never have the time and will never be willing to pay money for powder coating.)

Yeah, you can do that.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

West SAAB Story posted:

I don't have anything to buff with except some microfibre cloth. That has done me 'mostly' well, except for when I spend two weekends claybarring and cleaning the car afterwards.

I really want to get my (stupid plastic) turn lamps nice and bright and shiny - like the ones they just replaced. Is there anything I can use over the counter to buff them up nice and shiny by hand? They're not UV destroyed - just old and a bit dirty, with no luster. :(

Tape off around the headlight. Wet sand with 600grit sandpaper and spray with clearcoat. Or just buy one of those 3M headlight restore kits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Bape Culture posted:

I just bought a bunch of poorboys stuff to get my paint all lovely. Can't wait to get it on.
I'm looking for some wheel protection stuff now, has anyone used gtechniq c5? It's expensive but I've heard great things.

It's been my experience that trying to protect your wheels is a waste of time. I've used almost everything and brake dust has defeated it all in short time. Brake dust is evil. Just clean them as well as you can when you clean your car.