Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

So what's the best way to get a light scuff off a clear coat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

einTier posted:

Rubbing compound. If you use it by hand, there's practically no danger to your paint.

It's interesting you say that. An acquaintance told me to stay away from rubbing compound... and instead try polishing compound? I am not even sure what the difference is but I assume polishing isn't as "coarse" as rubbing.. or do I have it backwards?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

ratbert90 posted:

What kind of scuff? Is it paint transfer? Is the scuff on top of the paint or a light scratch that doesn't catch with your fingernail?

No paint transfer, no. Nothing you can feel with your fingernail. It's the clearcoat on the bags of my bike and sometimes boots touch them getting on/off.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Went back a few pages and didn't see this mentioned, but what's the best way to clean the inside of wheel well? IE: A fender liner? I've got years of wheel spray that I would love to remove and see some black if possible. SImple green and a brush?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Thanks!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Not so much worried about cleaning, but is there a recommended conditioner or something for older leather? The seats in my 911 are 17 years old and is pretty good shape, but I want to do what I can to keep them that way.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Thanks guys :)

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Hey thread - read the OP and a few pages back and couldn't find what I was looking for.

What is recommended to spray on the underside of a vehicle to remove years or road grime, etc on aluminum? Ideally something to spray on, soak and hose off or spray on with some slight agitation and then hose off?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

meatpimp posted:

Depending on grime composition, I'd say either a bug and tar remover like Stoner's Tarminator, or strong-mixed Simple Green. Either may need agitation and soak time to really loosen some of the old stuff.

Then again, I've had cars that I've had to scrape the gunk off with a scraper before I even got to that point.
Mostly road grime, maybe some leaking oil mixed in with dirt and becoming somewhat tar like.

I'll give simple green a shot with a soak and brush... see how it turns out. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

That's not ideal. Thanks for the heads-up