Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

DeMoN posted:

How long does it take to dry the car with blow dryer? I just use high quality microfiber towels and dry my car using motion mimicking how air would travel through the car.

I use a Ryobi 18v cordless blower, and by the time the battery wears out I can get all the nooks and crannies where water hangs out, and then I use "The Absorber" to dry up the rest. The Absorber is like a Sham Wow but better, it's like the ultimate chamois without killing a deer to get one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

Be careful with leaf blowers. The intakes are not filtered so unless you're in a relatively clean environment you could end up "sandblasting" portions of the paint.

If I had your cars I would be worried about it, but for a Crown Vic and a NA Miata it's fine. The paint on them is far from perfect.

Also, I have a HF high speed buffer, what are the best kind of pads to use? The ones that came with it were poo poo.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

TECHNICAL Thug posted:

Thanks, I will probably pick one up in the morning. Can this only be used with a pressure washer, and if so, should I pony up for a gas one?

$99 for an electric at HD, unless you're doing some heavy duty pressure washing it's all you will need.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I have the HF high speed buffer, but the pads that came with it are crap, what kind of pads are decent, and what type of pad should I use to remove swirl marks?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I think the paint on my black Miata is rubbing off somehow.....After washing it, my synthetic chamois started getting black marks all over it while drying, any ideas what's going on and how to stop it?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I use a cordless leaf blower to dry off the seals and to get water out of all the nooks around lights and whatnot. It was definitely coming off the paint, the only thing I can think of is that it was really dirty and when I washed it I didn't get it completely clean. We've had a lot of rain in the past few weeks and my car has been sitting next to the house getting all the poo poo from the roof on it.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

So what does that mean then if it's a single stage?

I haven't had a chance yet to really clean the paint, haven't even put a clay bar on it yet. I was planning on buffing out the swirl marks and getting a good coat of wax on it but now I'm scared to put a buffer on it and see the pad coming out pitch black :ohdear:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Welp. Any tips on how to buff single stage paint?

I just got a HF high speed buffer and plan on using it so hopefully I don't gently caress it up :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

drat meatpimp nice find, I wonder if the seller knew what he had.

Anyone know what the best wheel cleaner is for "chrome" alloys? I'm having a way harder time getting brake dust off these things than painted alloys, it's like the poo poo is soaking into the "chrome" if that makes any sense. God i hate these loving wheels.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I don't know if it's been mentioned in this thread, but I found a new tire cleaner that works better than anything I have ever used, but it's not actually made for tires. It's called Tarminator and it's made by Stoners. It gets the tires so clean they look new and I feel no need to put any kind of treatment on them afterwards, best stuff I have ever used for tires by far.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

ratbert90 posted:

I also bought the Aerator, Hydrate, Skin, and Reflex. Total cost: $244

Trip report:

FrothE: Amazing, works exactly as advertised. especially for Apartment Dwellers.

Hydrate: Also amazing and worth every penny.

Skin is sitting on the wife's Solstice right now, will finish tomorrow with that and Reflex. Then pictures.

So what is the hydrate exactly? Like a spray wax or something?

Also does it matter what kind of wax you use if one wants to invest in this setup?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

So the Skin is like a synthetic polymer "wax" then? Or is that the Reflex?

Lol I'm confused

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

MrOnBicycle posted:

From my understanding, Skin acts like a normal sealant when used on its own. When used on top of Reflex, it's more like a "top coat" like many of the other brands have. Like CQuartz UK has "Reload" that on its own can be used as a sealant, but used with the coating it's a top coat for "enhanced gloss and protection".

Any idea how long the sealant tends to last? Sounds a lot like how Zaino products work, back when I was using Zaino it would last a good 4 to 6 months.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

So what's the general consensus on car dusters these days? Are they ok or just paint scratchers?

With pollen season going on now it would be nice to just dust off all the loving pollen off my cars.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Goober Peas posted:

I dunno, but ever car show I've ever been too has a lackey with one and he goes to town. Even on the exotics.

If AHNOLD uses one it's good enough for me!

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Got a new to me car (2013 Scion xB) and I noticed the door panels were getting streak marks from the rain. I figured the dealership I bought it from used some kind of lovely armor-all type stuff on the plastic so I scrubbed all of the panels with simple green and it appeared to solve the problem. Then this morning it was raining and it did it even worse, wtf do I need to use to clean off whatever lovely product is on the door panels causing this?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

It's not mineral deposits, that would happen over time. This happens as soon as the rain hits it, I can wipe it away but then it happens again whenever it gets rained on like the water is reacting to whatever chemical is on the plastic.

Vinegar is worth a shot tho.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

So I've got a peeling (or disappearing) clear coat issue on my Jeep and ran across this product looking at videos on how to make it look better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1fPCSTUwV0

Is there a better way to do this, and/or something else off an auto parts store counter I can use instead?

I have a cheap Harbor freight buffer so I'm open to any better ideas.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

meatpimp posted:

That just looks like a hack. Base coats are meant for clear over top, anything else is a kludge.

Yeah I get that it's a hack, but it's better than nothing until I decide to clear coat it or paint it.

What can I get over the counter that's basically the same thing that guy is pedaling?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I think what i'm gonna do is just try to get all the loose peeling clear coat off and then just compound/polish the whole thing and use some of the turtle wax seal n shine I just got to seal it up.

Then later down the road re clearcoat or just spray the whole thing with Raptor Liner

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

IOwnCalculus posted:

On the plus side, I think the TJ might be one of the easiest vehicles to strip to "ready for paint" ever.

Yeah so I'm not too worried, any DIY option should be relatively easy. Plus I have a car port and can just hang some plastic to make a booth so why not.