Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
I read about the Cerakote trim wipes when I first discovered this thread and tried them before I read any non goon reviews.

They work great, but I wish I got a slightly more even coat. I used them on a new car and it greatly helps keep the black trim clean.

The non goon reviews say beware on using them on any plastic that's previously been treated with anything else, carefully applicate on a pristine surface as evenly as possible, they start out dripping wet and that gives a different coat then a wipe at the end of it's life.

This new Mazda has seen me spend at least $300 on foam gun, buckets and products. I've caught the detail bug.

Quaint Quail Quilt fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Oct 27, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Being fully into this car detailing madness now...
I stripped my wax with dish detergent/ a fuzz of simple green after a foamgun wash.
dried, iron removed no purple (new car)
Synthetic clay towel from theragcompany
and turtlewax hybrid solutions ceramic waxed, projectfarm and some of the youtube detailers liked.

The next day I hit my interior with vinyl rubber protecterant and leather cleaners, vacuumed and greased up all moving parts and hinges.
Got the underside cleaned a bit as well, I need a special wand attachment for that in the future or some metal ramps.
Good for winter!

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

They make all kinds of products just for wheels, but hitting mine with my turtle wax Hybrid Solutions Ceramic Wax Spray Coating helped. (I'd only ever used waxes before, on the body only)

I also hit my glass with it for the hydrophobic properties, is that encouraged?

I did it after a deep strip/clean and iron remover, then synthetic clay but since my car was practically new I didn't really notice it react to much thankfully.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

I don't know about dressings (tire wall shine?)

Costco had a 6 pack of a brand considered decent I though about buying, it may have lasted me 6 months to a year for like $25

I need to rotate tires and figured I'd give them a deep clean while I have them off and coat the rims in turtle wax hybrid solutions ceramic coating.
It's not necessarily for rims but it works on them and trim and glass and seems to last almost 6 months with one coat. (2 would be better)

My car got in an accident and it's made me care a little less about maintenance washes until it's fixed, but my glass was sheeting water like rain-x today and it's been several months since I coated it.

I have 2 cats now instead of 1 and it's time for me to re-up on carpet bomber and terminator enzyme cleaner from the ragcompany. They work great together especially with drill mounted nylon brushes. I've used it on my indoor carpet to get out many "permanent stains" and have barely used it in my car.

Quaint Quail Quilt fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Nov 15, 2022

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Cerakote cermaic coating for plastic trim worked for me on a brand new car. You just have to make sure it's pristinely clean and no other products are embedded and also get an even coat.
All the bad reviews for it are due to not following the above I think.

I'm about due for another coat maybe but it's really improved the look of my plastic and kept the dirt off better than factory, though it's not perfect.

I don't think I used enough either, one kit should have done my whole car they say but I only used 1/4 of the wipes. I'd apply in very good light as well.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

meatpimp posted:

If it's a marker, try hairspray. I've had luck on leather with ball point ink and hairspray, permanent marker is supposed to dissolve, too.
I'm not saying to do this on leather, but you can remove permanent marker from plastic and stuff by drawing over it with permanent marker and then wiping if off.

I heard that awhile back and finally got to try it and it worked.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

I've never used tar and sap remover but I think it works on pollen as well.

Pollen has been pretty bad in my neck of the woods and thankfully after a reapplication of my ceramic coat and several washes like 2-3 days apart it seems to have ebbed down some.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

whats the current go-to place for great microfiber towels? i have gone with autogeek in the past and they've been good but also wondering what other options are also out there
Costco, or I get a lot of stuff from theragcompany.com

I dunno if they are "great" but I wash them cold and delicate and then air dry in "rags to riches" detergent and that stuff is great for absorbency.

I also use it on my eyeglass cleaning cloths.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Once something starts rusting, it will keep rusting with exposure to air and water.

Maybe iron out, rust converter it?

I ceramic coated a spot in my wife's best friends car to keep it from spreading, but it will wear off in 6 months and she isn't going to fix it, so it's on her now I guess.

Covering bare metal with anything would be a good idea, but I've always heard rust can still spread underneath a pin hole if air and water can still get at it.

If the process is slow enough who cares I guess, I dunno I'm just spit balling.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

For like $7-12 a bottle the turtle wax hybrid solutions ceramic coat and detail spray beat out a lot of other coats in a few YouTuber comparison tests.

It's not going to be as good as the little $50-100 vials applied properly, but I haven't had any issues just applying it outside on a calm day with no rain and letting it sit for 24 hours before driving as directed, and I rarely get a chance to apply the 2nd coat as directed

It still lasts 4-6 months pretty good as long as I refresh it with the detail spray after I wash.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

I've never tried cleaning that, but barkeeper's friend got some rust pits from using magnets off my stainless steel fridge that other products didn't get.

Maybe try that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

I spent most of yesterday cleaning the hell out of my wheels and calipers to coat with gtechniq g5 wheel armor.

I was overdue a tire rotation anyway so I just left them off to do my 2nd ever deep clean on the rims, barrels and inside nooks and crannies.

I hope regular foam cannon foam and pressure wash rinse will clean that darn brake dust off now easy peasy.

Iron remover, brake cleaner, barkeepers friend, simple green, clay, goo gone, oven cleaner, wd-40 were all used on certain spots, man some of that stuff was tenacious. (I'm aware some of that stuff isn't advisable to use)

When I got new tires they rebalanced the rims and the sticky tape they use really didn't want to come off, also I blasted a wheel weight off with a pressure washer a year ago and reapplied it with super glue and that's probably not very smart, at least you can't see that side of the wheel! I am just sick of brake dust and pollen build up.

Where I live the pollen is so bad I get a light dusting after a single night even after a fresh wash on ceramic coated paint, at least a heavy rain tamps it down during April showers.