Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
particle409
Jan 15, 2008

Thou bootless clapper-clawed varlot!

Madame Psychosis posted:

I made a lovely stock in the pressure cooker last night in about an hour, planning on doing a pork roast when it defrosts.

Black beans were pretty easy as well -- I adapted a black bean soup recipe, so I sauteed mirepoix + red pepper + jalapeno and then seasoned with cumin, chili powder, red pepper flakes (go easy), and a bit of paprika. Beans, water (stock would prolly be lovely), cook for 30 mins at pressure. I had some extra liquid left over so I reduced it with the top off afterwards.

I also soaked for 4 hours.

You soaked the beans for 4 hours? I keep meaning to try a black bean soup, but half the recipes I see say you don't need to pre-soak, and half do. edit: Ah, I see somebody already asked this.

Bollock Monkey posted:

Forgive my ignorance, but doesn't that just overcook the pasta to poo poo? Or is there some magic pressure thing that stops this from happening?

Nope. If I left it in there, I'm sure it would overcook the pasta, but with that recipe it comes out perfectly al dente. Make sure the breast aren't too big, and place them on the bottom. My cooker doesn't go up to 15 psi, it only goes up to 80 kpa (if you set at that), which is 11.6 psi.

Handy psi/kpa converter here:
http://www.csgnetwork.com/presskpapsicvt.html

particle409 fucked around with this message at 09:56 on May 13, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amishbuttermaster
Apr 28, 2009

Cathab posted:

This looks excellent, got a recipe?

Also, I was under the impression that you still have to soak beans, or else they'll give you debilitating amounts of gas (even though they'll be cooked through properly). Is there any truth to this?

Sure. This one was a little different as I was attempting to use some leftovers.

1 lb dried black beans
2 small onions
1 head garlic
2 green peppers
3 poblano chiles
4 Anaheim chiles
2 lbs smoked ham
1 bone from aforementioned ham
1 small can tomato paste
1/4 cup white wine vinegar

Spices:
bay leaves
oregano
garlic powder
onion powder
smoked hot paprika
black pepper

Chop ham into small, bite size pieces and brown in pressure cooker. When done remove and add chopped onions, peppers and garlic. Cook until onions are translucent, add tomato paste and cook for another few minutes. Add ham back in, add black beans, add spices to taste. Add ham bone and cover with water to just under the line. Put on the lid and bring to pressure and then cook for about an hour or until beans are tender. When done, add vinegar. I generally like to put this in the fridge overnight to let everything come together before serving.

Now, this is an adapted recipe and usually Cuban black beans aren't going to have poblano and Anaheim chiles and it may or may not have something like ham. Usually I make it with bacon or salt pork if I can find it. I got the initial recipe from my now ex-girlfriend and how her family makes it in Cuba is going to be different from how the people next door or down the street makes it.

The benefit to using a pressure cooker is that you don't have to soak the beans at all. Whether or not this causes more of the compounds that give people gas I really don't know. I've never experienced any adverse reactions from this method.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Miguel Angel Face posted:

Be careful - my local paper reported a spectacular pressure cooker mishap.

http://m.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10800134

Um, who the gently caress puts oil in a pressure cooker? Or were they trying to make Minute-Meth or something?

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

bunnielab posted:

Um, who the gently caress puts oil in a pressure cooker? Or were they trying to make Minute-Meth or something?
Someone who wants the Kentucky Fried Chicken experience without the ambiance.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
I just picked up a 6L T-fal pressure cooker the other day and am looking for some (preferably low carb) recipes to get started with! Some things I've had my eye on are nice curries, chilis, and beef bourguignon, if I can find decent-looking low-carb recipes that have things I can buy here in Japan easily...

I made a ton of Japanese-style curry the other night and it turned out perfectly.

150 mL Water
6 onions, quartered
3 tomatoes, quartered
assorted potatoes/carrots
300 g ground beef/pork mix
500 g cubed chicken breast

Put everything in, lock on the lid, cook on high til it builds up pressure, reduce heat to low, let it go for 10-13 minutes and then hit the valve.

When it's safe, take off the lid and put in a full pack (eight blocks) of Japanese curry roux. I try to use something spicy since it works very well with the sweetness from the onions/tomatoes.

This recipe essentially uses onions in lieu of water and gets you a really nice, thick, semi-sweet Japanese-style curry. It took me around 40-50 minutes (prep, cook time, cleanup) to make 12 servings. Highly recommended!

I'm thinking about just taking a few hours every Saturday or Sunday morning and making a ton of poo poo in the pressure cooker to pack up and freeze. 12 servings per recipe means I could make 12 days of meals in around 3-4 hours!

tarepanda fucked around with this message at 01:33 on May 25, 2012

mystes
May 31, 2006

tarepanda posted:

When it's safe, take off the lid and put in a full pack (eight blocks) of Japanese curry roux. I try to use something spicy since it works very well with the sweetness from the onions/tomatoes.
If you're going through the trouble of preparing this why not just toss in an apple and then make your own roux with curry powder while the pressure cooker is working?

Edit:
I tend to just eyeball ingredients so I can't be very helpful, but if you want it to be as close as possible to Japanese curry you could probably just determine the appropriate amount of oil from the fat content listed on the prepackaged versions. There are also various recipes online with specific quantities.
vvv

mystes fucked around with this message at 22:25 on May 25, 2012

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

mystes posted:

If you're going through the trouble of preparing this why not just toss in an apple and then make your own roux with curry powder while the pressure cooker is working?
Proportions?

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

mystes posted:

Edit:
I tend to just eyeball ingredients so I can't be very helpful, but if you want it to be as close as possible to Japanese curry you could probably just determine the appropriate amount of oil from the fat content listed on the prepackaged versions. There are also various recipes online with specific quantities.
vvv

I'm really confused about your entire post. I don't toss in an apple because I don't want that kind of apple-y sweetness, otherwise I'd just buy Vermont Apple Curry roux.

The onions in lieu of water give it a different kind of sweetness and make the curry much richer. That's how I like it. It tastes a lot more like Japanese school lunch curry (which I love) than your standard plate of Taro's 500 Yen No-Fillings Curry On Old Rice.

(I live in Japan and don't really give a poo poo about "authentic Japanese curry" since there's no such thing.)

mystes
May 31, 2006

tarepanda posted:

I'm really confused about your entire post. I don't toss in an apple because I don't want that kind of apple-y sweetness, otherwise I'd just buy Vermont Apple Curry roux.

The onions in lieu of water give it a different kind of sweetness and make the curry much richer. That's how I like it. It tastes a lot more like Japanese school lunch curry (which I love) than your standard plate of Taro's 500 Yen No-Fillings Curry On Old Rice.

(I live in Japan and don't really give a poo poo about "authentic Japanese curry" since there's no such thing.)
Ah, if you don't like Vermont curry then don't add an apple. What I was saying is that since you're already doing all the work to make your own curry, you might as well skip the packaged curry roux and make your own (oil and flour plus curry powder and spices) since it's easy and you can do it while you wait for the pressure cooker to be done.

I'm not sure how you read my post as challenging the authenticity of your curry (:japan:) but that's not what I intended. (Quite the opposite, in that I'm sure most people in Japan use premade curry bases, but hey, whatever, this is GWS).

mystes fucked around with this message at 16:09 on May 26, 2012

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

mystes posted:

Ah, if you don't like Vermont curry then don't add an apple. What I was saying is that since you're already doing all the work to make your own curry, you might as well skip the packaged curry roux and make your own (oil and flour plus curry powder and spices) since it's easy and you can do it while you wait for the pressure cooker to be done.

I'm not sure how you read my post as challenging the authenticity of your curry (:japan:) but that's not what I intended. (Quite the opposite, in that I'm sure most people in Japan use premade curry bases, but hey, whatever, this is GWS).

I'm really confused... because I would be doing the exact same thing minus three onions to make it without the pressure cooker. The pressure cooker just speeds things up a lot.

mystes
May 31, 2006

tarepanda posted:

I'm really confused... because I would be doing the exact same thing minus three onions to make it without the pressure cooker. The pressure cooker just speeds things up a lot.
I'm not talking about not using the pressure cooker. I'm saying, while pressure cooking, separately prepare a curry-flavored roux to use instead of the retort pouch of premade curry roux. That's all that's in the packages: roux (a cooked oil and flour mixture), and spices (and msg if that doesn't count as a spice). I guess I'm doing a poor job explaining this. To make sure this is clear: what I'm saying is, do everything you're doing now, including onions and pressure cooking, except that instead of using the curry roux brick you use your *own* curry roux that you have prepared in the meantime.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

mystes posted:

I'm not talking about not using the pressure cooker. I'm saying, while pressure cooking, separately prepare a curry-flavored roux to use instead of the retort pouch of premade curry roux. That's all that's in the packages: roux (a cooked oil and flour mixture), and spices (and msg if that doesn't count as a spice). I guess I'm doing a poor job explaining this. To make sure this is clear: what I'm saying is, do everything you're doing now, including onions and pressure cooking, except that instead of using the curry roux brick you use your *own* curry roux that you have prepared in the meantime.

Ahhh.

I'm using the brick roux, not that it makes a difference. The retort pouches are just premade curry and the bricks are muuuuch cheaper than getting the spices for my own roux. As it is, I can make 10 servings for around 900 yen.

Basically, I just wanted something I could do with a minimum of effort and expense a couple days a week to freeze.

Desiree Cousteau
Jan 15, 2012

Moist von Lipwig posted:

I was coming here to ask this in the general thread but since this thread is here I'll ask. What should I look for when buying a pressure cooker? I'm mostly interested in cooking a lot of beans really fast but I don't know what size I need. If I could cook a 2kg bag of beans in one go that'd be amazing.

If you get a Mirro, a Presto or a Fagor new you only have to look at the same things you need in a 4 or 6qt cooking pot: weight, handles, if it fits on your stove...the usual.

If you are cheap and buy them at thrift stores like me, look to see how beat up they are, if they open and close well, if all the parts are there. If the pressure blow-out plug is gone or in shreds, the lid looks odd or the bottom is either dished in or bulged out you may want to think twice, someone may have overpressured it or cooked it dry. The main test is, "do I want to eat anything made in this?"
The other thing is that Mirro and Presto have old models they don't make seals and other parts for now, so buying a $15.00 pressure cooker that you need to buy a $40.00 part for is not the best bargain.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Yesterday, I was in the process of making a daal. It felt like eleven billion degrees in the kitchen (goddamned lack of central air), which meant that I wanted out of the kitchen as quickly as humanly possible. The thing with daal is that you just need to get the aromatics (onions and roughly chopped garlic, in this case) /softened/ and not browned.

A little browned along the edges is fine, but you really don't need to stand there until the whole thing is caramelised down to a nothing. You do, however, need a very /large/ quantity of onions. Part of the reason being that onions can get pricey, and you don't want to lose all that onion to evaporation. You want to taste it like if it's a vegetable.

For about 6 cups of cooked chickpeas, I was putting in two very large Spanish onions (diced), along with four cloves of garlic. I didn't have the patience to wait for the whole thing to cook down while I melted. I did my standard tarka (peanut oil, mustard seed, cumin seed, sesame seed, curry leaves, onions & garlic, some turmeric, some fresh chopped green chiles), and gave the onions a good stir. Then I splashed in about 4 or 5 TB of water (I didn't measure; just used a splashing motion from the tap).

I put on the pressure cooker lid, along with the weight, and let it come up to pressure. Because of the tiny quantity, and the high heat that I started with, the whole thing took about a minute and small change to come to temperature. When it was at full pressure, I set the timer for 1 minute, and left the heat on high. When the timer beeped, I did a quick release under cold water. The onions were cooked to perfection. I threw the pot back on the stove, dumped in the chickpeas, and stirred it all around for another minute.

What would have taken (usually) 20 minutes of stirring and constant watching, over medium low heat, took about 5 minutes flat. It was wonderful!

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
dino or anyone else used to cooking beans and legumes in pressure cookers:

The reason I've avoided cooking dried beans and legumes is the fact that I need to soak them before hand. Can I, without significantly affecting taste/texture simply cook them longer at pressure and skip the soaking all together?

I'm more than happy to let it go for 30-40 minutes and not sit through a 4-8 hour soak + 10 minute cooking time.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Solkanar512 posted:

The reason I've avoided cooking dried beans and legumes is the fact that I need to soak them before hand. Can I, without significantly affecting taste/texture simply cook them longer at pressure and skip the soaking all together?

I'm more than happy to let it go for 30-40 minutes and not sit through a 4-8 hour soak + 10 minute cooking time.

Yup. Chickpeas can be done in like 30 minutes at full pressure, smaller beans in about 22, and lentils at 12. Just let it come down to regular pressure naturally. :)

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

dino. posted:

Yup. Chickpeas can be done in like 30 minutes at full pressure, smaller beans in about 22, and lentils at 12. Just let it come down to regular pressure naturally. :)
Is there a reason you shouldn't use the water cooldown method?

agentseven
Oct 21, 2004

TITS AND COOTERS YOU FAGGOT
Pressure cooker is awesome for breaking down tough poo poo in under an hour. Chop up a pork shoulder at .79/lb into rough cubes, drop them in. Cut up garlic, serranos, jalapenos, onions, throw them in. Add salt, pepper, chili powder, chili flakes, a bit of mexican oregano, cumin and cayenne and some chipolte/adobo. You don't even have to be careful about it. Just add it all to the pot in amounts that seem OK to you. Add enough chicken stock to cover then pressure cook the poo poo out of it for an hour.

Serve it over cilantro rice and black beans with guac, heaven. This is an actual picture of a batch I made:

Getting results like this with pork shoulder using conventional cooking would take half a day.

Gormless Gormster
Jul 28, 2012

AVE IMPERATOR!

Or something

No Wave posted:

Using water to cool beans down fucks with their flavour. In my experience it makes them unforgivably bland. But I guess that's a matter of personal taste.

I usually cool my beans down by stirring them or transferring them to a colder pot.

Dead Of Winter
Dec 17, 2003

It's morning again in America.

Gormless Gormster posted:

Using water to cool beans down fucks with their flavour. In my experience it makes them unforgivably bland. But I guess that's a matter of personal taste.

I usually cool my beans down by stirring them or transferring them to a colder pot.

He's not talking about adding water to the beans. He's talking about running water over the pressure cooker to release the pressure (by cooling it down).

Gormless Gormster
Jul 28, 2012

AVE IMPERATOR!

Or something

Dead Of Winter posted:

He's not talking about adding water to the beans. He's talking about running water over the pressure cooker to release the pressure (by cooling it down).

Oh

My mistake, I thought he meant cool beans down by DROWNING THEM. (My point still stands, that poo poo's abominable.)

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

No Wave posted:

Just because with unsoaked beans, you want to be sure the fuckers are done. You can definitely do a quick-cool with running water over the pot if you so desire. I know with the electric pressure cookers, there's a quick-release valve thingy. It works just fine. Once you've worked out your stove and pressure cooker timings, the quick cool method works fine.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

dino. posted:

Thanks for the advice! Dired beans don't seem out of reach with my schedule anymore. :)

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

agentseven posted:

pressure cook the poo poo out of it for an hour.

Wow, are you serious? I have a very similar recipe with chicken thighs and I only do it for 20 minutes, 25 tops.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

tarepanda posted:

Wow, are you serious? I have a very similar recipe with chicken thighs and I only do it for 20 minutes, 25 tops.

Solkanar512 posted:

Thanks for the advice! Dired beans don't seem out of reach with my schedule anymore. :)

Oh, as far as I'm concerned, all beans are dire beans for anyone in the same room.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

tarepanda posted:

Pork shoulder does not equal chicken thighs

threeskin
Jan 2, 2006
One skin, Two skin

squirrelzipper posted:

Ok, I'm going to need to know what happened here.

I believe it's a screen cap from the movie Radio Flyer.

amishbuttermaster
Apr 28, 2009

Solkanar512 posted:

I do dried black beans (which are notorious for taking forever otherwise) for 45 minutes to an hour and they always come out perfect. There's really no need to soak when you're using a pressure cooker.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
This is probably a dumb question, but why can you use a pressure cooker to make dishes with stewing and other tougher cuts of meat? I thought it liked long and slow cooking and that high heat like boiling would ruin meat and make it stringy and hard?

So how does the pressure cooker achieve this, it just doesn't make sense to me???

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

His Divine Shadow posted:

This is probably a dumb question, but why can you use a pressure cooker to make dishes with stewing and other tougher cuts of meat? I thought it liked long and slow cooking and that high heat like boiling would ruin meat and make it stringy and hard?

So how does the pressure cooker achieve this, it just doesn't make sense to me???
Basically - there are two things at play here.

First, meats have different collagen contents. A tough piece of meat (like, harder when you touch it raw) will usually have more collagen than a tender piece of meat. So, short ribs have a ton of collagen, and filet has very little.

If you boil a filet, it would get hard as it reaches 160 degrees and all the proteins seize up, and then if you hold it above 180 degrees very little collagen will dissolve. So there's no reason to cook it very high.

If you boil a short rib, it will lose color and get even tougher as it reaches 160 degrees, but once you take it above 180 it will rapidly turn its collagen into ooey gooey gelatin.

Any meat that you can cook in a pressure cooker you can boil, as well. It just takes longer by boiling, as the pressure cooker raises the boiling point of water. The higher the temperature of a piece of meat, the faster the collagen will dissolve, so the leap from 212 degrees to 240 will make the collagen dissolve much much faster.

So basically any meat you prepare in the pressure cooker can be prepared without it.

The reason people advocate "low and slow" cooking is that you don't want to boil away all your cooking liquid before your meat is done, and cooking meat at a simmer is a very similar temperature to a rolling boil anyways. If you put a big pork shoulder in the oven at 400 degrees, the outside would be desiccated and burnt before the thing was done rendering. So low and slow will keep the outside from becoming totally nasty before the inside is done.

The are other benefits to bringing meat up to temperature slowly, but they're marginal so don't worry about it.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Got the Ikea pressure cooker, already used it for things like channa dal, ghormeh sabzi and boiling a shitton of chickpeas in 40 minutes flat for hummus. It makes a load of steam, but it was cheap, it's sturdy and it works. There's a min and a max mark in it - what's the purpose of the Min mark? Is it to ensure a proper volume of steam or whatever? I sometimes would like to make things like channa dal for just two and all that water seems a little wasteful to pour out, but whatever.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Sjurygg posted:

Got the Ikea pressure cooker, already used it for things like channa dal, ghormeh sabzi and boiling a shitton of chickpeas in 40 minutes flat for hummus. It makes a load of steam, but it was cheap, it's sturdy and it works. There's a min and a max mark in it - what's the purpose of the Min mark? Is it to ensure a proper volume of steam or whatever? I sometimes would like to make things like channa dal for just two and all that water seems a little wasteful to pour out, but whatever.
Basically because running out of liquid in your pressure cooker sucks. You don't have to listen to their recommendation though; most pressure cookers don't have minimum lines.

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

At least this way my kill will have some use
Dinosaur Gum

Sjurygg posted:

You can always do what I saw a couple other people here suggest and put a smaller serving in a bowl (something that can take the heat) inside the pressure cooker and then fill with water outside the the bowl.

Logiwonk
May 5, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
+1 for dried beans in pressure cooker.

I routinely make up refried beans in a pressure cooker - you soak the beans overnight, drain the liquid, throw them in the PC with water, a couple diced onions, bay leaves, minced garlic, and some oil. Then you make with the steam-engine noises for like 20 minutes or so until they are done.

Always let your pressure cooker cool down some before you open it. Seriously, steam burns are not fun.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Welp, I finally went out and bought a pressure cooker. My first meal was couscous and veggies that I cooked together using the dino method, and some leftover korean bbq that I warmed up in a pan. Thanks to this thread and especially to dino for all the info in this thread, otherwise I would've probably still thought of pressure cookers as That Weird Cooking Voodoo.

edit: Also, holy poo poo, running water on the cooker is way faster than venting the steam. Is there any particular reason why a person would use one method and not the other?

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Aug 10, 2012

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Steve Yun posted:

Welp, I finally went out and bought a pressure cooker. My first meal was couscous and veggies that I cooked together using the dino method, and some leftover korean bbq that I warmed up in a pan. Thanks to this thread and especially to dino for all the info in this thread, otherwise I would've probably still thought of pressure cookers as That Weird Cooking Voodoo.

edit: Also, holy poo poo, running water on the cooker is way faster than venting the steam. Is there any particular reason why a person would use one method and not the other?
Running water is marginally better if you're making stock - when you vent steam the water actually boils, whereas the water's basically still if there's no steam coming out. Again, marginally.

People claim that venting steam wears out the gasket a little bit but eh. That's what it's for.

Usually I just take it off heat and wait twenty minutes but no reason not to run water over it - just laziness.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

No Wave posted:

Basically because running out of liquid in your pressure cooker sucks. You don't have to listen to their recommendation though; most pressure cookers don't have minimum lines.

Yeah, I discovered that even for a full one-hour pressure cooking of unsoaked chickpeas (experiment) the water line receded very little. One cubic cm of water probably makes a shitload of steam, as it would appear.

Some thoughts on my pressure cooker so far:

- Flavour of stews and similar braises may be thinner and less rich. I've tried making Persian ghormeh sabzi a few times over the past couple of months. The last time, I used a pressure cooker. I thought it somehow lacked something, but there are so many other underlying causes that could influence the result, so I have to try further.

- Unsoaked chickpeas need a shitload of time, even in a pressure cooker. However, what comes out in the other end is so soft and buttery that it would appear I have cracked one central riddle in how to make my chhole masala as good as the one I get from the Punjabi bistro downtown.

- It's AWESOME for lentils and daal, especially the ones that normally need a lot of soaking time like channa daal. Channa daal I normally have to remember to set to soak before I leave for the morning, then it needs another good thirty to fourty minutes at least to be fully cooked. Unsoaked took less than twenty, making channa daal something I can suddenly whip up in a hurry. Which is great because channa daal is one of the best things in the world.

- Pressure cookers make congee that is absolutely perfect. And when I say perfect I mean it impresses even the most hard-to-please Chinese person. Fifteen minutes, ten water to one rice. You can even throw in some pork bits or dried clams if you like, they'll cook just as fast. Whisk up with a balloon whisk for a few seconds. Bam, done. The congee turns attractively pearly semi-translucent with little pieces of soft rice suspended. Absolutely perfect. Next time the Chinese part of the family shows up for breakfast I know what's cooking for sure.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Sjurygg posted:

- Flavour of stews and similar braises may be thinner and less rich. I've tried making Persian ghormeh sabzi a few times over the past couple of months. The last time, I used a pressure cooker. I thought it somehow lacked something, but there are so many other underlying causes that could influence the result, so I have to try further.
Do you think it's possible that this is because the water inside a pressure cooker is so still? That's prized for stuff like stock, which you want "clear", but for stews where you may want the fat to enrich the broth it may not be optimal. It could potentially be fixed by doing a boil after the pressure cook, like by taking it off the pressure cook before it's finished and finishing normally.

On the other hand, the guys at FCI found that venting pressure cookers resulted in less flavorful stock for some reason. I still can't figure out at all why.

particle409
Jan 15, 2008

Thou bootless clapper-clawed varlot!
Is this thread dying? I just made turkey chili in my electric pressure cooker. I only used a tiny bit of vegetable oil to brown the turkey meat. It wasn't greasy at all, and came out perfect. I used the Montel Williams recipe, so it's actually pretty healthy. I'm going to change up the next batch though, and throw in some garlic and sriracha sauce.

3 lb. ground turkey
4 cups crushed tomatoes
1/2 cup chicken stock
1/2 red pepper, seeded and diced
1/2 green pepper, seeded and diced
1 large onion, peeled and diced
1/2 cup red beans dried,
soaked overnight

1/2 cup black beans dried,
soaked overnight
¼ cup chili powder
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 tablespoon sea salt
1 tablespoon crushed
red pepper flakes
1 tablespoon sugar

1. Place the oil in the inner pot, and set the cooker to brown mode.
Add the chicken and onions, cook for 5 minutes. Add the spices
and cook for 1 minute.

2. Add remaining ingredients and place the lid on the cooker. Lock lid
and close the rapid release button.

3. Press cancel button to turn off brown mode. Set the machine to
stew mode (default time 20 minutes and default pressure 80).

4. After 20 minutes, the timer will reach 0 and the cooker will
automatically switch to the warm mode. Place the pressure valve
from closed position to rapid release. When the steam is completely
released, remove the lid. Garnish with sour cream and shredded
cheddar cheese. Serve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
Is soaking the beans overnight still necessary since you are using the pressure cooker?

• Locked thread