Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mmmm Pie
Jun 17, 2007
Me like pie
From http://alohaworld.com/ono/print.php?id=1097541712:

quote:

Kalua Pig Unda Pressah
Recipe Number: 1097541712
Contributor: Unko Joe
Ingredients
6-8 quart Pressure cooker
4-5 lbs Pork butt (w/or w/o bone)
1-2 lbs Belly pork (w/skin)
about 1/4 C Hawaiian salt 2 caps full "Wrights" Mesquite flavor liquid smoke. (hickory flavor o.k.
too, mesquite taste like "Ki'awe" kine.)
1-2 pcs Banana leaf. (Asian stores get um in da frozen section.)
Water
Cooking Instructions
Put one banana leaf on da bottom of da pot. Add pork belly & butt next. Fill pot with water covering at least half of the meat. Add Hawaiian salt, liquid smoke and other banana leaf to pot. Cover pressure cooker and place on high heat. When cooker starts to make noise. Turn heat down to med-high. Cook for approximately 1-1/2 to 2 hours. Start timer from the time it starts to make noise (In other words, when it starts to hiss). Make sure water doesn't run out in da pot so check once or twice by removing from heat and running cold water on top of pot until pressure is gone from da pot. If water level is low, add until it covers about 1/3 of da meat. Place back on stove, let hissing start up again and continue countdown from there.( I know sounds like plenty work, but trust me, it's worth it. Besides all good things come to those who wait). After time has expired. Remove from heat and check again. You going see green stuff it's o.k. jus' take 'um out and remove green stuff from pork. Shred da pork with two forks ( If no mo' nuff flava, do wat Sam Choy do. Mix 1/4 cup water with salt and liquid smoke to taste and pour onto shredded meat.). Enjoy!
Serving Suggestions:
I figga if can bake and boil, den can also pressha-cook. Saw da recipe in

Sam Choy's cook book. Couldn't find tea leaves so got to tinkin'. "Ehh? wen we kalua in da ground, we no use tea leaf. We use banana leaf and all." Wife and kids played a big role in dis recipe. Dey wuz my critiques. Also my frenz from da Bay Area Concord, as well as Patterson, CA.
I love this recipe, this is probably what I use my pressure cooker for the most, besides beef stew. After I shred it I stick it under the broiler for a bit until it's got a nice crispy crust on the outside and serve with rice and some stir-fried veg.
Sooo good...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

I've finally come to grips with the fact that the sky fucking fell.
Potentially stupid question, but can I just put a smaller pan inside my gently caress-off sized pressure cooker for times that I'm not attempting to feed the imperial roman army?

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

At least this way my kill will have some use
Dinosaur Gum

joelcamefalling posted:

Potentially stupid question, but can I just put a smaller pan inside my gently caress-off sized pressure cooker for times that I'm not attempting to feed the imperial roman army?

Yes as long as it's not sealed. Someone posted before about stacking different bowls in their pressure cooker to have separate things cooked at the same time.

Edit:

dalstrs fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jan 22, 2013

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

joelcamefalling posted:

I do it all the time. I went to the dollar store, and picked up a cheap aluminium bucket, took off the handles, and use that when I'm making food for me and Puppy. Otherwise, I stack bowls inside. It works just fine.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

5 of the episodes got taken down actually. Here's the ones that are missing if you're interested:
S01E04-Salad Daze
S05E11 For Whom The Cheese Melts II
S05E13 This Spud's For You Too
S06E14 A Cake On Every Plate
S09E03 Urban Preservation II: The Jerky

marmot25
May 16, 2004

Yam Slacker
I bought a pressure cooker (Fagor Duo 8 quart) and the results so far have been spotty and the instructions unclear.

Getting up to pressure for this model is described in the manual as waiting for the indicator to pop up and a "gentle, steady stream of steam" emerges from the operating valve. The two things don't happen simultaneously, as the indicator isn't an actual indicator of operating pressure (15 psi on the setting I'm using). The gentle, steady stream of steam could mean two things: a wispy stream of steam, which is what I (sometimes) get around the same time as the indicator popping up, or a more directional stream (2"-3") of steam that has a slightly hiss to it. Which should I be maintaining?

Before all of this happens there seems to be a lot of steam action coming from other places within the handle, which is a bit weird, but once the pressure is reached and there's actually steam coming from the operating valve, this seems to be diminished.

Oh yeah--and apart from the first time I tried the quick release method--the last two times I've tried to run water over the lid I've gotten a violent discharge of steam from the emergency gasket port on the side of the cooker. This can't be right, right? I'm not submerging it or letting water into the operating valves.

I probably should have gotten a different brand because now I see from online comments that Fagor's customer service is laughably non-existant and their warranty (even for DOA units) doesn't cover anything but the hunk of metal that are the lid and the pot.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
If someone can remind me some time either tomorrow or the day after to post a step by step on what to expect from pressure cooker, I will do so.

EDIT: Found a computer with a keyboard.

So. When you start anything in the pressure cooker, load that sucker up, position and lock the lid into place, drop on the weight, and crank up your stove to as high as it'll go. That will let the thing come up to full pressure. That'll take anywhere between five and fifteen minutes, depending on how much stuff you have inside the cooker, how big the cooker is, and how hot the liquid is that you start with. When the initial full pressure is reached, you'll hear a very loud burst of steamy screamy doom. This is normal. That just means that full pressure has been reached.

Once that's set, go ahead and drop down the heat to low. On my gas stove, it's a 2 out of 10. This will cause the pressure regulator to do this very slow, very gentle chika-chika sound if it's a traditional pressure cooker. If it's a newfangled silent model or a special unicorn snowflake, it won't. In those cases, look for the noise or indicator that the manual indicates. Do not start timing your cooking until you drop down the heat to low. Once the timer has beeped, turn off the heat, and let it come down to normal pressure. This doesn't take a terribly long time with the smaller pressure cookers. With the larger ones, you may have to wait about a half hour to forty five minutes.

To do a quick release, you'll want to submerge the cooker itself in cold water, rather than running water over the thing. With a cheapo cooker, like my Presto or my Hawkins that I mentioned here, I can just run water over the top of it. However, for some reason, people don't listen to me, and buy fancy Special Snowflake models that require some kind of coddling for some reason. Fine. In those cases, do the quick release by submerging the whole thing in cold water. Not ice water. Not ice cold water. Just cold water out of the tap.

If for some reason the thing does a weird explodey thing, or warps, or some other such nonsense, go ahead and just let it chill on its own. It's winter. If it comes down to it, just set it outside in the freezing cold outdoors. Stupid cold weather. :(

dino. fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jan 27, 2013

marmot25
May 16, 2004

Yam Slacker
Thanks for the tips. Yeah, I should have just bought the Hawkins model I noticed yesterday at my indian grocery. I could have been part of the mysterious whistle pressure cooker crew.

I'll make another batch of chana masala this morning and let it properly come up to pressure. Since I evidently wasn't letting it come fully up to pressure and was dropping the heat too low, the cooking times were ~ double what they should have been (though sill delicious in the end). This would explain why, at the end of my 20 minutes of cooker, it would kick into "steady stream of steam" mode for the last minute or two; I had finally brought it up to full pressure at that point.

The only part that still worries me is that I shouldn't be getting any big release of steam from the gasket when I do a quick release. For the most part I'll be cooking beans and doing a natural release, but it still would be nice to have an explanation for why there should be any release of moisture at this point. :11tea:

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

marmot25 posted:

Thanks for the tips. Yeah, I should have just bought the Hawkins model I noticed yesterday at my indian grocery. I could have been part of the mysterious whistle pressure cooker crew.

I'll make another batch of chana masala this morning and let it properly come up to pressure. Since I evidently wasn't letting it come fully up to pressure and was dropping the heat too low, the cooking times were ~ double what they should have been (though sill delicious in the end). This would explain why, at the end of my 20 minutes of cooker, it would kick into "steady stream of steam" mode for the last minute or two; I had finally brought it up to full pressure at that point.

The only part that still worries me is that I shouldn't be getting any big release of steam from the gasket when I do a quick release. For the most part I'll be cooking beans and doing a natural release, but it still would be nice to have an explanation for why there should be any release of moisture at this point. :11tea:

This is because of the rapid change between the top and bottom. It causes wonky stuff to happen. That shpiel about submerging was directed at you. Do not run water over the top. Submerge it.

Also, with whistle pressure cookers, the best result still happen with timers. The chhole (chickpeas) I made yesterday took one whistle and change. But since I timed the 13 minutes, they were done perfectly.

DerpAlert
Aug 31, 2009

Haulin' Ass, Gettin' Paid
TEN XXXTRA LARGE
Pressure Cookers are way better than Slow Cookers. If you've got one with a rocking weight you can tell when you've got the heat too high, and you don't have to take the risk of burning your house down by leaving it on while you're out. Since I got one I've been able to make beans, chickpeas, and lentils on weeknights without having to pre-soak, which has been a lifesaver.

Soaking regular beans is really important. It's not fun being gassy at work, especially when you work around really hot girls. When I screw it up I have to step out every 20 or 30 minutes. You don't have to soak chickpeas or lentils though, and lentils cook really quickly from dry.

dino. posted:

I do it all the time. I went to the dollar store, and picked up a cheap aluminium bucket, took off the handles, and use that when I'm making food for me and Puppy. Otherwise, I stack bowls inside. It works just fine.

Would you be able to clarify your stacking bowls method? I've got a small 4qt unit that I use for beans and the like, and I'm curious how you can cook multiple foods in a larger cooker. I bought the 4qt because I live in a tiny apartment and didn't think I could justify being able to cook for more than a couple of people at a time.

marmot25
May 16, 2004

Yam Slacker
It seems that no matter what I do, my beans come out very uneven. I can't imagine that this is anything other than a bean-quality-related problem, not a pressure cooker problem, but I have been buying my beans from a variety of sources that should have pretty good turnover/quality. I have tried both not soaking them and soaking them, but this doesn't seem to make a difference. This is pretty much my main use for a pressure cooker as a vegetarian, although I did make some delicious umami-packed broth last week that came out great so at least that seems to work. Any thoughts?

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

marmot25 posted:

It seems that no matter what I do, my beans come out very uneven. I can't imagine that this is anything other than a bean-quality-related problem, not a pressure cooker problem, but I have been buying my beans from a variety of sources that should have pretty good turnover/quality. I have tried both not soaking them and soaking them, but this doesn't seem to make a difference. This is pretty much my main use for a pressure cooker as a vegetarian, although I did make some delicious umami-packed broth last week that came out great so at least that seems to work. Any thoughts?

Cut back your beans quantity by half, and double the water. If there is too little water for the beans to tumble around in, half will be overcooked, and half will be mostly raw and gross.

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!
I bought a pressure cooker after reading this thread; a cheap one just with the weight on the lid, no other bells and whistles. For the first meal, I made pork vindaloo and daal in the same pot by using a little aluminium bowl for the lentils. Pre-soaked the lentils in water and rinsed to decrease fart factor, stirred in the spice and onion mix when the lentil were soft and mushy. It was FABULOUS.

All up 20 mins once it got up to pressure, then let it cool down while the rice cooker did its thing. Pork was tender and falling apart, flavour wasn't flat.

This basically means I can do all my favourite comfort foods during the week, which is perfect coz snow is forecast for tomorrow.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

DerpAlert posted:

Would you be able to clarify your stacking bowls method? I've got a small 4qt unit that I use for beans and the like, and I'm curious how you can cook multiple foods in a larger cooker. I bought the 4qt because I live in a tiny apartment and didn't think I could justify being able to cook for more than a couple of people at a time.
I never posted the technique in the thread, but I did blog about it here:

http://altveg.blogspot.com/2012/01/set-up-big-pressure-cooker-for-small.html

I specifically bought a big pressure cooker, because that's how I saw my mum using hers when we were in India, and she had to cook fresh for every meal (the refrigerator in my grandma's house was tiny; like a dorm fridge, so you didn't have space for much outside of some butter, yoghurt, and milk, and a couple of other random tiny things). She'd fill the outside with some stuff, then drop in a bowl with other stuff, then put on a grate and stack more stuff. It worked out pretty great.

marmot25
May 16, 2004

Yam Slacker

dino. posted:

Cut back your beans quantity by half, and double the water. If there is too little water for the beans to tumble around in, half will be overcooked, and half will be mostly raw and gross.

Thanks! My chana masala came out perfectly tonight, as did my dal for my dal makhani. I put the water line ~1" above the soaked chana, so I just had to siphon a little of the excess liquid off later on.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Am I the only one with an electric pressure cooker?

I have a Fagor 3 in 1 and love it. I have never had anything burn and it makes rice in like 6min. The slow cooker is too hot but I almost never use that part.

Kilersquirrel
Oct 16, 2004
My little sister is awesome and bought me this account.

Sjurygg posted:

Yeah, I discovered that even for a full one-hour pressure cooking of unsoaked chickpeas (experiment) the water line receded very little. One cubic cm of water probably makes a shitload of steam, as it would appear.

Some thoughts on my pressure cooker so far:

- Flavour of stews and similar braises may be thinner and less rich. I've tried making Persian ghormeh sabzi a few times over the past couple of months. The last time, I used a pressure cooker. I thought it somehow lacked something, but there are so many other underlying causes that could influence the result, so I have to try further.

This is really old by now, but Persian food is possibly my favorite thing on Earth and I've spent a lot of time (and gained a lot of brownie points with an ex's Tehrani father in the past) nailing down a couple recipes.

For good ghormeh sabzi this is my definitive guide:

If using lamb: use the shank over all other cuts, and trim the fat off of it extremely well. If it's super-fresh(and only, that musty funk lamb takes on when it's just past its "most fresh" window will invade the dish otherwise), brown in the lamb fat. If it's not, try and use some beef tallow or failing that some decent frying-grade olive oil. Salt/pepper it generously, let that salt skin develop, and brown the everloving poo poo out of it. If you can't get lamb shank, use something else that has a large and preferentially marrow-carrying bone in it.

If using beef: shoulder-area cuts are great, look for lots of connective tissue marbling. I tend to just get the "stew meat" trays at the store since you get a mix of cuts in them and they're cheaper, but if buying a single cut and portioning is cheaper in your stores, go for something that instantly makes you think pot roast. Also salt/pepper and brown the everloving poo poo out of it.

If using chicken: :frogout:

The onions: slice thin as hell. Not paper-thing, but real drat thin. Fry them in the same pan the meat was done in, but toss some olive oil(if you didn't use it before) and the turmeric(use the freshest stuff you can find, huuuuge difference) into the oil 20-30 seconds before the onions so that it toasts a bit. Brown those onions up very well and on decently high heat, think getting close to caramelized. Don't steam/boil your onions in the process accidentally. Their main job is to carry the delicious meaty fond to the dish, so dont' be afraid to scrub the pan bottom with them and beat 'em up a bit. They're just going to dissolve in the stew anyways.

The herbs: fresh if you got 'em, dried/rehydrated if you don't, but the main thing is fry fry fry. I have used dry more than fresh over the years and don't be afraid to fry them until they look almost dry again. You're wanting to break up and reform some of those flavor compounds and that mainly happens when things dry out past a certain point. Save some of the rehydration water to top off your pot with instead of plain water.

The beans: red kidney or nothing. Soak 'em so you don't turn everyone into a gasbag.

Seasonings:

A lot of people will tell you that dried lemons and limes are interchangeable, it's bullshit. Use dried limes. If you can't find them easily/cheaply, you can always do what I do and pick up limes on the cheap in summer, and stash them in your fridge wrapped up in a wicking material(paper towels, tea towels, etc) to keep mold from forming and let them dehydrate in the fridge. I actually prefer the fridge-dried ones to the commercial ones, they don't lose as much of the essential oils. When you use your limes, split them open and get out the seeds unless you want a bitter undertone. If you've got pickled limes hanging around, toss a little bit in too. But just a bit.

And make sure you add some fresh lime juice to the stew after it's done cooking and cooled off a slight bit.

Saffron: you gotta use it. Just a little bit, but you've got to use it. It shouldn't lead as a flavor, but it should be that "poo poo what did they put in this, I can't tell but it's amazing" background flavor. Grind it up with some sugar, it always seems to carry the flavor better through the dish when you grind it with sugar vs salt or anything else.

The pressure cooker makes that tough lamb cut just melt, it's a huge timesaver and does an excellent job leaching flavor and more collagen out of the bones as well.

DerpAlert
Aug 31, 2009

Haulin' Ass, Gettin' Paid
TEN XXXTRA LARGE

dino. posted:

I never posted the technique in the thread, but I did blog about it here:

http://altveg.blogspot.com/2012/01/set-up-big-pressure-cooker-for-small.html

I specifically bought a big pressure cooker, because that's how I saw my mum using hers when we were in India, and she had to cook fresh for every meal (the refrigerator in my grandma's house was tiny; like a dorm fridge, so you didn't have space for much outside of some butter, yoghurt, and milk, and a couple of other random tiny things). She'd fill the outside with some stuff, then drop in a bowl with other stuff, then put on a grate and stack more stuff. It worked out pretty great.

Awesome! Thanks!

Now I need to get a bigger pressure cooker. Although I usually just cook for myself, so it's possible for me to use the technique in a 4qt with really shallow bowls and some creativity.

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

I have a rifle and a frying pan and I know how to use them
It's already been stated, but a pressure cooker is NOT a pressure fryer.

I have a pressure cooker, a pressure canner ,but can't bring myself to buy a pressure fryer. I want one for fried chicken, but they scare the poo poo out of me in their little stovetop versions. I'm not spending $6000 for a commercial unit either.

I like making tomato basil and roasted red pepper and tomato soup in my pressure cooker. Also a fan of black bean soup. It just speeds things along so nicely.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

NosmoKing posted:

I have a pressure cooker, a pressure canner ,but can't bring myself to buy a pressure fryer. I want one for fried chicken, but they scare the poo poo out of me in their little stovetop versions. I'm not spending $6000 for a commercial unit either.

Dig a hole in your backyard and run the thing in there.

Five Spice
Nov 20, 2007

By your powers combined...
I got a 6-quart pressure cooker for Christmas from my partner and I absolutely love it. It's changed my life! I swear, I make something as simple as cabbage with some water, fish sauce, and spices and it tastes like buttery heaven. I've used it mostly for sides so far, but I have cooked some chicken gizzards in it too! Works like a dream.

http://www.amazon.com/Presto-8-Quar...pressure+cooker

For anyone looking for a deal, this is pretty crazy. 8-quart stainless steel pressure cooker for 50 bucks, 15 cheaper than it usually is. Lowest price on Amazon in 3 years! That's how much I got my 6-quart fella for, so I bought another the 8-quart immediately when I saw that price. Can't hurt to own more than one. :)

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Is stainless steel so much better than aluminum that it's worth the price increase?

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Is stainless steel so much better than aluminum that it's worth the price increase?

It depends. I have an aluminum Presto cooker and its a real bitch to clean. It gets pitted and stained fairly easily. Aluminum is reactive, so acidic foods (i.e. citrus, tomatoes, etc) will leach aluminum out -- which is kinda bad because you want the aluminum on your pot, and not so much in your food. If you're trying to make a tomato sauce or a chili or something acidic, you may get a bit of a metallic taste to it. One of the nice things about a pressure cooker is that you're cooking quickly so there is less time to react, but it still happens.

Personally I'm waiting until I see more (stainless steel) Fagor Duo 8 qt pots in stock and I'll probably go for one of those, but I'll still use my aluminum Presto in the mean time. If you can afford it, stainless steel is probably the way to go. If you can't, you can still use aluminum -- just maybe lay off some of the really acidic stuff.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
You guys might want to check this out

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
It's back up to $75 but I did buy it when it was $50. Thank you for the heads up, Five Spice!

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

ChetReckless posted:

It depends. I have an aluminum Presto cooker and its a real bitch to clean. It gets pitted and stained fairly easily. Aluminum is reactive, so acidic foods (i.e. citrus, tomatoes, etc) will leach aluminum out -- which is kinda bad because you want the aluminum on your pot, and not so much in your food. If you're trying to make a tomato sauce or a chili or something acidic, you may get a bit of a metallic taste to it. One of the nice things about a pressure cooker is that you're cooking quickly so there is less time to react, but it still happens.
An aluminum pressure cooker can't be seasoned like any other bare aluminum pot? (Seasoning meaning filling it with water and boiling for a few minutes to build up the protective oxide layer on the interior surface.)

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
I got one of the presto 8 qt $50 Amazon deals and have made some stuff in it.

Inspired by agentseven's pork shoulder, I made some pork tacos from a loin roast. Came out dry, though I was expecting that. The grocery store didn't have any fatty raw stuff. I consider it a success.

Tonight, however, I attempted to cook some potatoes for mashing, and quick steam a sort of mass of frozen swai in an aluminum foil shroud at the same time. These both came out loving gross and I would not recommend cooking potatoes for mashing or frozen fish. They came out pretty rubbery. Strange to have rubbery mashed potatoes. Maybe I was doing it wrong.

Think I'll stick to pressure cooking meat with a lot of connective tissue, and beans. It is sort of cool to have a new tool with which I can ruin dinner in novel ways.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.
What possible uses are there for cooking on a lower pressure setting? Specifically I'm looking at the Fagor Duo versus Splendid lines. The main difference seems to be that the Duo can cook at low (8.5 psi) and high (15 psi), while the Splendid cooks at high only. I'm coming from a jiggling weight Presto, so I've only ever used 15 psi. The Splendid cookers tend to average $30 or so cheaper than the Duo models. Is having the ability to cook at 8.5 psi worth it? Alternatively, are there any other major differences between the two lines that I'm missing?

edit - Further research reveals that apparently the Spendid's are built in China, and the Duo's in Spain. Even further research reveals that the Duo's are now also supposedly made in China, since 2008.

ChetReckless fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Feb 19, 2013

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
What's even the point of lower pressure? It'd surely slow down the cooking times and defeat the purpose of using a pressure cooker in the first place. Seems like a waste of money to me. Just buy the basic model that hits the 15 psi, and move on.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

marmot25 posted:

I bought a pressure cooker (Fagor Duo 8 quart) and the results so far have been spotty and the instructions unclear.

Getting up to pressure for this model is described in the manual as waiting for the indicator to pop up and a "gentle, steady stream of steam" emerges from the operating valve. The two things don't happen simultaneously, as the indicator isn't an actual indicator of operating pressure (15 psi on the setting I'm using). The gentle, steady stream of steam could mean two things: a wispy stream of steam, which is what I (sometimes) get around the same time as the indicator popping up, or a more directional stream (2"-3") of steam that has a slightly hiss to it. Which should I be maintaining?

Before all of this happens there seems to be a lot of steam action coming from other places within the handle, which is a bit weird, but once the pressure is reached and there's actually steam coming from the operating valve, this seems to be diminished.

Oh yeah--and apart from the first time I tried the quick release method--the last two times I've tried to run water over the lid I've gotten a violent discharge of steam from the emergency gasket port on the side of the cooker. This can't be right, right? I'm not submerging it or letting water into the operating valves.

I probably should have gotten a different brand because now I see from online comments that Fagor's customer service is laughably non-existant and their warranty (even for DOA units) doesn't cover anything but the hunk of metal that are the lid and the pot.

I bought this 8qt fagor cooker as floor model for $30 at bed bath and beyond. http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=16507849

In the few years I've used it I've had the issue you describe happen once so I try to avoid the lid when quick cooling and just spray the sides with the sink sprayer. If water gets anywhere near that safety release it can cause it to vent. Also note the gasket should be removed and washed every use and the manual calls for a light coating of oil to keep it sealing well. You want to start counting when the pressure indicator pops up but keep the heat pegged until there is a steady small jet of steam coming out of the pressure regulator then adjust the heat to keep it at that level. I used to try to keep it so it was just barely venting but kept having problems with things not cooking as quick as they should.

I've oddly enough never made beans but I've made Alton's chicken and dumplings, chili, oxtail soup, stocks and more random hunks of meat than I can count. The real beauty is you can make any recipe you would in a crock pot but way faster.

I tend to use mine mostly for days I forgot to put together a crockpot meal in enough time or when I get home with a few extra hours and would like a nice dinner but don't have time to slow cook. Did you forget to defrost your roast? Remember that you can cook a completely frozen piece of meat, you just have to add about 15 extra minutes.

I also use mine to bake potatoes when I don't have time for the oven. I know you can microwave them but they always cook unevenly for me so I just throw in a cup of water and load the potatoes in the trivet so they are out of the water and have soft steamy baked potatoes in 15 minutes, if you want crispy skins you'll need to toss them under the broiler.

NosmoKing posted:

It's already been stated, but a pressure cooker is NOT a pressure fryer.

I like making tomato basil and roasted red pepper and tomato soup in my pressure cooker. Also a fan of black bean soup. It just speeds things along so nicely.

I hear you on the pressure fryer. I almost bid on this one that went for only $600. [url]http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:Pp5JZ_yyajgJ:https://www.obenaufauctionsonline.com/cgi-bin/mnlist.cgi%3Fobenauf97/232.14+&cd=4&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-a[/url]

But I already have a 5gal propane fryer with baskets and seeing as I don't own a restaurant I'm not sure It'd ever get fired up for more than a KFC party or something.

my turn in the barrel fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Mar 21, 2013

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
As mentioned elsewhere I bought some supplies today.
They didn't have pinto or great northern beans, besides chick peas they only had black eyed peas, red kidney, cannelloni and bortolli.
Having tried all of them in the past I grabbed the black eyed beans for something new as I'm sick of the bean varieties I can buy in a can anyway.
I found a website that lists cooking times for beans and they listed black eyed peas as unsuitable for pressure cooking. that was the only bean they said not suitable for pressure cooking as well.
What gives? Anyone cooked them in the pressure cooker or do they have to be cooked on the stove top for 1.5hrs for some special reason?

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.
I'm in the pressure cooker club now too. Black beans are currently pffsst'ing away right now. Getting a model that doesn't have a toggle is somewhat unsatisfying, hopefully the results make up for the short coming.

Armitage_Shanks
May 16, 2004

Fear the aVICtar.

Juice Box Hero posted:

I attempted to cook some potatoes for mashing, and quick steam a sort of mass of frozen swai in an aluminum foil shroud at the same time. These both came out loving gross and I would not recommend cooking potatoes for mashing or frozen fish. They came out pretty rubbery. Strange to have rubbery mashed potatoes. Maybe I was doing it wrong.

For mashed potatoes you want to steam the potatoes using the trivet and steaming basket that should have come with your cooker. Use 500ml of water. Say about 8 minutes and quick release them.

I don't know swai but in general fish is recommended to be done on low pressure (that's what it is for, for the people asking above) and only for about 5 minutes (for fresh.. maybe same again for frozen?). Once again I'd suggest steaming with the trivet and basket. Even with the fish being frozen you'd probably have a hard time juggling it so the two of these were cooked at the same time due to the different pressures suggested. No idea how you ended up with rubbery potatoes though... must have been over cooked?

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Squidder posted:

I just got done making Mini Meatball Broth and it's delicious!

That's a great site for recipes, she does a lot of pasta in the pressure cooker - I wouldn't have thought of it but I guess it makes sense. It just keeps going and going, I'm going to have to seriously consider replacing my ancient pressure cooker that doesn't seal right.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Armitage_Shanks posted:

For mashed potatoes you want to steam the potatoes using the trivet and steaming basket that should have come with your cooker. Use 500ml of water. Say about 8 minutes and quick release them.

I don't know swai but in general fish is recommended to be done on low pressure (that's what it is for, for the people asking above) and only for about 5 minutes (for fresh.. maybe same again for frozen?). Once again I'd suggest steaming with the trivet and basket. Even with the fish being frozen you'd probably have a hard time juggling it so the two of these were cooked at the same time due to the different pressures suggested. No idea how you ended up with rubbery potatoes though... must have been over cooked?

Ah, thanks for the advice. If I'm ever bored I'll re-try the potatoes using your recipe. Gonna stick to other methods for fish, though.

Sinjang
May 29, 2013
Hi, I joined the pressure club this week and have a few basic questions. I have the Tefal Secure 5 (6 litres) and the instruction manual is ambiguous to me in some regards. I'm also a cooking newb.

1. If I have the steam valve on the 14 psi (max) setting, does the pressure indicator pin rising mean that I've reached 14 psi and that the valve is venting the excess? This happens within a minute after I seal the lid if my liquid is already boiling.

2. If so, why does the pin drop almost immediately after taking the cooker off the stove and putting it on the bench? I can then take the lid off straight away. Isn't it meant to take a while for the pressure to drop?

3. Pork rib tenderness. I cooked them for 15 minutes at what I assumed was the max 14 psi. They weren't bad, but they weren't falling off the bone tender either. Will leaving them in longer make them more tender, or more tough? How does this voodoo work?

Edit: Forgive me. Turns out I was cooking on the "release steam" setting and just ate boiled ribs.

Sinjang fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Aug 1, 2013

feelz good man
Jan 21, 2007

deal with it

Sinjang posted:

3. Pork rib tenderness. I cooked them for 15 minutes at what I assumed was the max 14 psi. They weren't bad, but they weren't falling off the bone tender either. Will leaving them in longer make them more tender, or more tough? How does this voodoo work?
Just re-pressure it next time and let it go longer. Pressure cookers decrease cooking time by about 60-65%. For example, if I usually cook oxtails in a dutch oven for 4 hours (240 minutes), but in a pressure cooker it would only take 90-96 minutes.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
I got my 8qt/4qt Fagor Combi pack on Friday and have been having fun with it. Made roasted carrot & sweet potato soup in minutes, and then made stock using a bag of chicken bones & bits from the Asian grocer.

The stock came out ok, but didn't gelatinize like the stock/broth I make with whole chicken pieces. It had like 3lbs of chicken parts, carrots, celery, onion, and bouquet garni, and went 15 minutes on high pressure, followed by quick release.

Does pressure cooker stock not go jelly like slow stock, or was it the ingredients or the method?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Probably concentration? I'm pretty sure if you reduced it down it'll turn to jello stock

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
Ahh, that's possible. I forgot that when I'm cooking on the stove I never cover it, so it probably does concentrate itself naturally by simmering down.

• Locked thread