Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rule .303
Dec 9, 2011
(Instructions are just some other guy's opinion)

EVG posted:

Is soaking the beans overnight still necessary since you are using the pressure cooker?

I soak beans for 24 hours to try to break down some of the indigestible sugars and starches that make me fart. You can cook them dry too, it is up to you.

A lot of questions are if it is ok to run cold water over the lid. My cookbooks say not to do it since it could warp the lid and make it not seal right. However it also says you can cool it down by putting it in a sink full of cold water to reduce the pressure sooner.

Some of the flavor you are missing is the browning or carmelization (I was told it was called "catching" in that you want your meat to "catch" a bit when cooking it for stews to brown the sauce) and you can pre-sear or pre-sweat everything to get the extra flavor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rule .303
Dec 9, 2011
(Instructions are just some other guy's opinion)

dino. posted:

Rule 303: I hope you're discarding the soaking liquid too! If you want to avoid farts, use cumin, fennel, coriander, fenugreek, and turmeric along with the beans. Not only is it hella delicious, it helps cut back on the gas, apparently.

If your pressure cooker can't take a little water over its lid, it's really not that great a model. Even the lightest cookers I've seen (all Presto) can stand up to a quick cool method.

Oooh. All the spices I don't eat. I may have to invest in Beano(tm)

Personally I have fun flicking water on the lid to watch it hiss off immediately. I have prestos and mirros.

Oh, by the way, you now own a pressure cooker. Go buy a spare seal now. If a seal blows out when you need it you have an immediate replacement.

• Locked thread