Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Armitage_Shanks
May 16, 2004

Fear the aVICtar.
Things I've done in a pressure cooker:
45min Beef Bourguignon
45min Coq au Vin (needs work)
45min Chicken Stock
45min Goulash
25min Roast Chicken (you crisp it in the oven after.. its interesting not perfect)
15min Chicken and Chorizo Paella
45min Chili (acceptable but these days I usually use the pressure cooker solely for the Beef shoulder chunks for the same amount of time and break them up after).
25min tomato soup (using aforementioned chicken stock)
17min rice (better than the rice cooker)
1hr Beef pot roast
1hr Corned Beef Brisket
15min Bolaganese (not quite as good as a 5hr traditional but way better than a 15min jar a meat job)
25min Ribs (seared first.. crazy good)
and a cup of tea (don't do this!)

I've also used it as a parboil for potatoes for roasting and chipping. It is particularly amazing if you want thick "jenga" chips. 5 min steam on pressure, 5min 120c fry, 3min 170c fry. Crisp on the outside fluffy on the inside.

Method/Recipes available on request.

General top tip:
If you've a pressure cooker you need an induction hob (if your pressure cooker will work with it). Combine the both for stupid energy savings. You may need to adjust cooking time on some (bad) recipes to counter the fact you've got pressure in about 20% of the time you normally would.

The difference between pressuring on a ceramic hob to an induction is unbelievable. As I've only the one induction hob occasionally I got it doing double duty and I'll pressure on the induction and move to a ceramic... only to watch the pressure drop and take another 5 minutes on a hot ceramic to come back to full pressure.

I mentioned rice above. Check out the top of the range South Korean rice cookers. They are all combination induction/pressure cookers and cost upwards of 350 euro.

infiniteguest posted:

http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/caramelized-carrot-soup

This is an example of some refined technique using a pressure cooker. Used properly you can actually make some serious food with them.

This recipe blew my mind. General rule (based on the users manual which you are always meant to follow) is that nothing less than 300ml of liquid must be in the pressure cooker. This recipe works on using the liquid in 80gm of butter to make pressure! I had to substitute carrot juice with chicken stock (it's a soup I figure whatever) but it tasted like a big bowl of caramels. Crazy.

the last signal... posted:

I don't mind dropping a little more for a nicer model if this is something I'll be using a whole lot. Can anyone recommend me something?

I've a WMF. Not this version but I can't find what I have on their site. My housemate managed to drop and break the handle so it was great to be able to get spares easily. Of course the spare cost about the same as a new cooker from another manufacture but still. One of the major advantages was it worked with induction (see above). My version pressured at 13PSI so watch out for recipes you might need to add a few minutes.

Armitage_Shanks fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Oct 24, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armitage_Shanks
May 16, 2004

Fear the aVICtar.

tarepanda posted:

I'm super interested in a beef bourguignon recipe if you can bear to share!

Serves 4:

500ml Light/Medium drinkable French Red Wine (Pinot Noir is traditional I use Bourdeux as I'm cheap)
1kg Beef Shoulder (thats what the cut is called in Ireland.. cut names vary globally. Any fatty cheap stewing cut should do).
125g lardons (or fatty bacon cut into cubes)
5 medium onions
4 garlic cloves
5 medium carrots
300ml beef stock
1tsp mustard powder
1 Bouquet Garni (I use the pre-made teabag style ones for this)
1 Bay leaf
flour + butter in 1:1 ratio for roux for thickening (amount to taste but 75g of both is a good start)

A note on mushrooms and pearl onions: Traditional recipes have both of these things. I don't mainly because they're not easily available to me. Feel free to adapt accordingly but the amount of onions in this has been adjusted to account for no pearl onions so you might need to reduce by one or two.

Cube your meat in large chunks 1" at least sprinkle with salt and set aside.

Add a small amount of neutral high heat oil to a frying pan. Don't use a non stick pan, cast iron is best but stainless steel will do and if stuck you could use the pressure cooker pot but it's a bit awkward. Heat to high and add lardons. Fry till they're beginning to crisp. They'll have released a lot of fat. Sieve them into a bowl and pour the fat back into the pan.

Get the pan really hot (when fat starts to lightly smoke) and in batches sear the beef cubes until they're dark brown on each side (30secs ea side). Add oil if necessary (if they're burning not browning). Put in the bowl with the lardons. If there is any oil left pour it into the pressure cooker and use some of the wine to deglaze the pan (scrape off all the beef juice stuck to the pan to make a fond) and set aside the fond.

Chop onions roughly and put into the pressure cooker on medium low heat. Depending on how much fat you've in the pressure cooker you may need to add more oil for frying the onions (things shouldn't be sticking or burning). Get them soft but not carmelised. When they just start to change colour will be about right (10mins or so). Add crushed garlic cloves about 5mins in.

Peel carrots and chop in large chunks. Add to the pressure cooker pot. Add meat and lardons to the pot. Add your deglazed fond to the pot and add the rest of your wine. You can bring the heat up to full now. Add Beef stock. Add mustard powder, Bouquet Garni, and Bay Leaf. Mix everything well and get up to a boil before putting on the pressure cooker lid.

Pressure to full, reduce heat and mantain pressure. I cook this for 35mins and depressure with the quick release vent. As mentioned before I use a lower pressure model and induction so it might be worthwhile trying this at less first and repressuring if necessary if you use 15psi. It's done when the carrots are soft through and the meat is fall apart tender. It would be overdone if the carrots turned to mush. Big chunks are important to give them more stability while the meat softens.

Use the butter and flour to make a light roux (melt butter, add flour, whisk, cook. youtube it if you've not done it before) and thicken the dish to taste depending on what you are serving with. If you are going for pasta make it thicker. Less so for boiled potato. Mashed potato is the winner in my book and a more liquidy stew suits it best as the potato starch will thicken it as it is eaten.

A note on roux: Lots of other recipes for this dish will add flour either over the meat chunks or over the onions. You can try either method if you want to save time but adding the thickening before pressuring can lead to burning if you're not careful as the thicker liquid is harder to get up to a boil without sticking. Whatever you do don't just dump flour in at the end as you need to cook out the "floury" flavour hence using a roux.

Armitage_Shanks
May 16, 2004

Fear the aVICtar.

Juice Box Hero posted:

I attempted to cook some potatoes for mashing, and quick steam a sort of mass of frozen swai in an aluminum foil shroud at the same time. These both came out loving gross and I would not recommend cooking potatoes for mashing or frozen fish. They came out pretty rubbery. Strange to have rubbery mashed potatoes. Maybe I was doing it wrong.

For mashed potatoes you want to steam the potatoes using the trivet and steaming basket that should have come with your cooker. Use 500ml of water. Say about 8 minutes and quick release them.

I don't know swai but in general fish is recommended to be done on low pressure (that's what it is for, for the people asking above) and only for about 5 minutes (for fresh.. maybe same again for frozen?). Once again I'd suggest steaming with the trivet and basket. Even with the fish being frozen you'd probably have a hard time juggling it so the two of these were cooked at the same time due to the different pressures suggested. No idea how you ended up with rubbery potatoes though... must have been over cooked?

• Locked thread