Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Now you're thinking with portals!
Back to airplane-chat, I bought plans for the 4-seat Bearhawk (#1366)!

I'm hoping I can finish this in, say, under 15 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
Helno I spoke to someone about your lazair because I think it's cool, it's like you hung a hook in the sky and now sit on a seat just floating there... but this guy i know asked what the Vbg of your lazair is?

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane
I've never specifically tried to get best glide for distance because I move so slow it is pretty meaningless. Minimum sink is around 28 mph so best glide would be a few mph faster.

Most Lazairs lack the instrumentation to properly measure things like that. I know I got a huge increase in climb rate with my bigger props because I am not relying on butt dyno.

Congratulations on getting the plans for the Bearhawk Ehnus. Building one is something I probably will never do I like flying them to much.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

So I just put an offer in on a 1969 Cherokee 180.

Wish me luck on the prepurchase inspection.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

helno posted:

I've never specifically tried to get best glide for distance because I move so slow it is pretty meaningless. Minimum sink is around 28 mph so best glide would be a few mph faster.

For a second I thought this meant minimum unpowered descent rate was 28mph (2464fpm)

helno
Jun 19, 2003

DNova posted:

For a second I thought this meant minimum unpowered descent rate was 28mph (2464fpm)

It comes down around 450 fpm.

Slipping doesnt really increase it much.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

helno posted:

So I just put an offer in on a 1969 Cherokee 180.

Wish me luck on the prepurchase inspection.

Awesome, should be a fairly different ride to the Lazair! Best of luck with the inspection, I'm sure it's at least a little nerve wracking.

ehnus posted:

Back to airplane-chat, I bought plans for the 4-seat Bearhawk (#1366)!

I'm hoping I can finish this in, say, under 15 years.

Nice! I started (and soon aborted) a Pitts S1-S a few years back, and am keenly looking at Hatz Classic plans now. What's the build like - chrome moly fuselage and Al wings? Any cloth? It's a huge task, best of luck to you too!

Ferris Bueller
May 12, 2001

"It is his fault he didn't lock the garage."
I like the "one axis control" on the ERJ-175. It's the one labeled "AP" on the flight guidance panel.

In non retarded afraid to fly an airplane until I mitigate all risks out of being barely high enough and fast enough to kill you land, that bearhawk looks like a sweet plane. The name even is cool. Kinda a STOL, rugged back country type of plane?

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Sanguine posted:

Awesome, should be a fairly different ride to the Lazair! Best of luck with the inspection, I'm sure it's at least a little nerve wracking.

Nice! I started (and soon aborted) a Pitts S1-S a few years back, and am keenly looking at Hatz Classic plans now. What's the build like - chrome moly fuselage and Al wings? Any cloth? It's a huge task, best of luck to you too!

Yup, 4130 fuselage and aluminum wings. The control surfaces and fuselage are all fabric covered.

Although since I last posted my son was born and I've been wondering if hammer forming and riveting is something I should, y'know, not be doing in a workshop that's attached to the house. Especially since the only time I have these days is in the evenings after everyone's gone to bed. So, I'm not sure if I should continue down the Bearhawk path, or go with a Cozy or something where I can work for a few years without requiring an air compressor.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

ehnus posted:

Yup, 4130 fuselage and aluminum wings. The control surfaces and fuselage are all fabric covered.

Although since I last posted my son was born and I've been wondering if hammer forming and riveting is something I should, y'know, not be doing in a workshop that's attached to the house. Especially since the only time I have these days is in the evenings after everyone's gone to bed. So, I'm not sure if I should continue down the Bearhawk path, or go with a Cozy or something where I can work for a few years without requiring an air compressor.

Kids get used to noise if they're exposed to it. They get tired and have to sleep; it's a biological imperative.

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Kids get used to noise if they're exposed to it. They get tired and have to sleep; it's a biological imperative.

Well, yeah, but air riveters are pretty loud, no? He deals well with noise, at least compared to some kids I've heard of, but there's a difference between sleeping through people talking and periodic 100db percussive riveter blasts on the other side of the bedroom wall. My bedroom also shares a wall with the shop so the wife might have something to say as well.

I could be wrong. I hope I'm wrong. But I don't really want to sink a couple thousand into tools only to find out that I'm SOL.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

ehnus posted:

Well, yeah, but air riveters are pretty loud, no? He deals well with noise, at least compared to some kids I've heard of, but there's a difference between sleeping through people talking and periodic 100db percussive riveter blasts on the other side of the bedroom wall. My bedroom also shares a wall with the shop so the wife might have something to say as well.

I could be wrong. I hope I'm wrong. But I don't really want to sink a couple thousand into tools only to find out that I'm SOL.

Yeah, kids seem to take time away form projects like this pretty well. You could always work on something quieter for a while, like jigging and prepping the fuse - but it sounds like it'll be a while until you can go full-noise.

Of course, if you're after a quieter project, there's the Flitzer...
(not really what you're after, but it's a cute bipe)

Ferris Bueller
May 12, 2001

"It is his fault he didn't lock the garage."
Whats hanger rent like in your area? Where I learned to fly this was most guys man caves.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

Sanguine posted:

It's now official. Inspection went very well. mechanic found a few small things but all are things for the next annual. Prop is in spec and no bad news in the oil filter.

Now we just need to get the plane from Nova Scotia to Ontario.

The local airport is being shut down so we got it for a steal at $30k CAD. 4100 TTAF and 640 SMOH

Stec-50 autopilot
Stormscope
GEM engine monitor
Garmin 796
Loran C (anyone need a boat anchor?)
A pair of Bose headsets and a complete set of covers included

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

do you have your instrument rating Helno?

helno
Jun 19, 2003

Neither me or my new partner do.

He is thinking of doing it sometime in the future but I haven't got any plans to.

We might think about installing an older IFR legal GPS if he wants to pursue it.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

Brought the 180 home yesterday.

I guess I am no longer part of the homebuilt and ultralight plane world.

http://imgur.com/a/j1Ykt

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009
Fantastic aircraft helno ,

Are you planning some longer trips in it?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Jealous as hell. Good for you :)

helno
Jun 19, 2003

Colonel K posted:

Fantastic aircraft helno ,

Are you planning some longer trips in it?

Heading to Oshkosh next week. Got a pair of freshly minted CPL's coming along for the ride so it should be interesting.

Fixed up some broken headset jacks and built a ghetto bluetooth audio input system for it.

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009
Sounds like an excellent trip. How'd it go?

In homebuilt news I've been potentially offered an RV8 in superb condition. I'd love to buy it but it may be way more than I can afford :(

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

Colonel K posted:

In homebuilt news I've been potentially offered an RV8 in superb condition. I'd love to buy it but it may be way more than I can afford :(

How much??

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009

concise posted:

How much??

£110'000. 180hp IO360, 3 axis autopilot, good avionics (mostly glass), 3 blade mt constant speed, tip tanks. The attractive part is the minimal maintenance costs and being able to do it yourself.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

Colonel K posted:

Excellent. 10.5 hours total to get there and back.

Always tons of things to see and do.

Met some interesting people. Got to chat with Burt Rutan and a couple of his buddies while flying r/c aircraft.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

helno posted:

Met some interesting people. Got to chat with Burt Rutan and a couple of his buddies while flying r/c aircraft.

My jealousy is unending. I was up there on saturday, it was a good day.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

gently caress Hail.

Thought it was just some small dings on the wings and control surfaces. Took the cover off today and found this.

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009
Ouch, Was that picked up flying in or parked up?

helno
Jun 19, 2003

Parked.

Happened last week. We never took the cover off afterwards and I went out today to take it flying and found the broken window.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

helno posted:

Parked.

Happened last week. We never took the cover off afterwards and I went out today to take it flying and found the broken window.

That doesn't ground you does it? Expensive, demoralizing, but does it stop you flying?

helno
Jun 19, 2003

Until the window is repaired there wont be much flying going on.

It is frowned upon to patch a certified plane with duct tape.

Our annual is scheduled for two weeks from now so we are just waiting on the insurance adjuster to figure out how this will be delt with. We will get the windows installed during the annual (we will probably install them ourselves under the supervision of our mechanic).

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Are certified aircraft allowed in this thread?

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009
Yep, I think so if you're a bit involved with them. I'm certified on the husky but try to be involved with the maintenance as much as possible.

In homebuilt news I've made an offer on the rv8 and the owner is thinking about it.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

helno posted:

Until the window is repaired there wont be much flying going on.

It is frowned upon to patch a certified plane with duct tape.

Is this thread not familiar with speed tape? This is basically what it's for.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

DNova posted:

Are certified aircraft allowed in this thread?

There are certificated ultralights if you expand outside the strict Part 103 ultralight definition. Like the Revo weight-shift trike I keep lusting after that can be certified as S-LSA (or E-LSA if you want to keep the freedom to tinker).

helno
Jun 19, 2003

I guess I should update this to keep it out of the archives.

Fixed the windows and a bunch of other stuff during the annual. It was a great experience seeing every part of the plane and confirmed everything about the prebuy inspection.

Have done a fair bit of flying but no really long trips other than a run up to North bay.

Partner isn't flying right now after laser eye surgery but lovely weather is keeping me on the ground.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

Well this is a different update. Been doing a ton of aviation stuff since the last update. Got pretty into the Srratux ADS-B project and have been selling parts since Oshkosh.

I sold the Lazair in the spring. I hadn't been flying it and going to Port Elgin to do so was a pain in the rear end.

I have been wanting to do an electric aircraft since I saw the electric Lazair but wanted something a bit more capable so I bought this.

Monnet Aircraft Moni motorglider. I saw an old listing for it and figured he might take a pretty low ball offer since it needs work and he did. Drove out to Quebec to pick it up and trailered it home.

Built in 1987 by an AME (Canadian name for an A& P) with just under 120 hours on the aircframe.

Engine needs some work. It came with four one in pieces in a box two in unknown condition but assembled and the last one is a brand new long block with a reduction drive.

At least two of these engines have broken cranks which from the logs appears to be due to prop strikes.

So the current plan is to remove the reduction drive on the new engine and get it flying. After that convert it to electric power probably using a Lynch motor.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

So I cant actually start working on this plane quite yet.

Need to get the garage finished so I can bring the plane in so that takes priority. Insulation and vapour barrier is up and the drywall guy starts tomorrow so things will happen pretty soon.

In the meantime here are a few pictures of the other bits.

Here is the lovely new longblock. Sadly it will be losing that sweet reduction drive.

One section of the steel ballast weight. I guess this plane was originally designed for a much heavier motor and it needs over 50 lbs just behind the motor to balance.

Fancy wrapped exhaust. It is very long despite not being a truely tuned pipe.

The very small Sterba prop. 34x16 with a very interesting profile.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
Glad I bookmarked this thread! Are you keeping this one in your garage? And are you doing the engine stuff yourself? I honestly don't know if what you're doing is complicated or not, or if you have a background in it.

gently caress I miss flying. I got my PPL through cadets like you did, and I haven't flown since my flight test twelve years ago. I swore I wasn't going to be one of those guys who just gets it and never uses it again, but life and money got in the way as I guess it does.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

The plan is to do all the work in my Garage and basement workshop. I've worked on small engines before and have helped out on a few homebuilt projects.

Don't feel bad about the path that you took after cadets. It is a program that doesn't really set you up for success as a PPL. Most kids who get a scholarship are immediately into college and broke. Many are so far removed that they feel they cannot get back in but it comes back.

It comes back fast. Go up with someone else or an instructor and you will be surprised at how quickly you get the skills back.

If certified aircraft are to much money there are always gliders to fly. I'm taking a bunch of power pilots to a glider field tomorrow so they can get some experience.

I ran into a guy at Oshkosh who was in my flying scholarship group. He flys the #10 Snowbird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Hah, awesome. I know two of the Snowbirds from Cadets as well (#2/6).

I'm attempting to get flying again; the hardest part I think will be getting familiar with the regs and procedures, more so than the stick and rudder skills.

• Locked thread