Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009
Sounds like you've managed to get a bit done over the winter. Shame about the 172 getting sold, are there any plans to replace it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009
Looks great, are the brakes to help with ground handling or landing distance?

I'm a bit out of practice in IFR flying and need to get myself back up to speed. I've been doing a lot of vfr and general handling recently especially with the chipmunk. I popped into IMC for a short period the other day and felt like it was a big workload again.

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009
I've never seen the davis before, looks like a fun possibility.

If you end up going down the cofa route things get heavy and thirsty fast although the utility goes through the roof.

There's a beautiful 180 that's been completely redone one justplanetrading I keep gazing at. But I definitely can't afford another aircraft!

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009
Did you get the aircraft?

In other homebuilt news I helped a friend out today adjusting the prop on his rv8. The fine pitch stops were set way too fine and was giving him landing / handling difficulties. He reports the adjustments transformed the handling. We also adjusted the governer to bring the max rpm back up to 2700 and then went out to test and do some aeros. Towards the end we bounced a friend in his c42 microlight and flew formation with him for a bit, it's incredible that an aircraft that can cruise at 160 knots comfortable, dive at 200 can also formation fly at about 70.

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009
Try to get an idea of what sort of flying you want to do. Going places or just going up and enjoying the fun of flying around.

There are microlights that will do both, but ones that go further tend to be quite expensive but their running costs tend to be low.

Regular certified planes sometimes don't cost too much, but maintenance and ongoing costs can be unpleasant.

If you can find a way to manage the cost it's one of the most satisfying things that you can do.

There are quite a few auto gyros based at my airfield and they don't hold much attraction to me, they seem to be very expensive and have ok performance, I understand the view is terrific.

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009
So in a bit of homebuilt news. I flew down with a friend in his RV8 to southern Germany. They're a fantastic machine, unfortunately he had a failure of the starter relay and it took out the starter on a friday. We managed to get parts shipped from Aircraft spruce over the weekend and had it back together the day they arrived.

I think if I had the time I'd definitely think about building an rv8, the speed for the fuel burn is very impressive.

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009

edmund745 posted:

The main cause of small aircraft crashes seems to be the engine suddenly not working at inopportune moments, and nobody has any good solution for that issue yet.

I could be wrong but I think the main cause of crashes is pilot error - controlled flight into terrain, loss of control follows I think, either vmc or imc. Full engine failure is pretty rare and generally usually happens just after maintenance. Once you get past the infant death period engines tend to go pretty well unless grossly mishandled.

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009

edmund745 posted:

So what control problems do powered parachutes have?

Because a powered parachute proves that you can have an aircraft that is entirely flyable yet never inverts, never stalls and never spins.

I'm not very qualified to respond to this as I've no personal dealings with powered parachutes, but I was talking to a cameraman who did a bit of it on the side and had had two pretty major accidents. as I understood from one of them a bit of turbulence from a hill put him in an upset attitute leading to the wing partially collapsing and the cables getting somewhat tangled. wasn't able to get out of it before hitting the ground and it broke a lot of bones and an airlift rescue from a hillside as fortunately he was found by a walker.

Powered parachutes also can't even remotely fly in the envelope that normal light aircraft can

As has been mentioned previously if you can't fly out of balance your crosswind ability is extremely limited as well as the ablity to use useful techniques like side slipping to lose height / get down past obstacles.

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009
I'm still completely confused as to how you deal with a crosswind.

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009

edmund745 posted:

huge number of light/homebuilt accidents...

A LOT ...
Also a LOT ...
... straight into a LOT of crashes due to pilot error in operating those controls. ...

I would argue that there aren't really a huge number of accidents. As I said previously controlled flight into terrain accounts for a lot more accidents that the former or engine failure as you stated earlier.

for a fixed speed aircraft, if people are wanting to cover a bit of distance really they're looking for about 90 knots minimum. that's a lot of energy to hit the ground with or runway to get up to speed to take off for a slow machine. let alone being unable to deal with a crosswind.

Perhaps I'm thinking of the wrong type of aircraft, but lots of people fly 3 axis microlights and also possibly hire bigger 4 seater stuff to take more passengers / go places. One of the beauties of the microlights is that because they are cheaper to operate people can fly a lot more hours which keeps currency up which I would say gives one of the best safety advantages going.

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009
even a J3 cruises at about 70mph on 40hp. It can also land in a crosswind.

I keep looking at the thunder mustang every now and then. It seems like an incredible machine, but I imagine getting one into the UK would be nothing but hassle. Still 300 knots for 20gph is impressive.

probably not really better than an rv to live with though.

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009

edmund745 posted:

It has a throttle (that is not counted as a control axis on other aircraft)

That would be because you are able to maintain different pitches at lots of different throttle settings in other aircraft. It doesn't directly control an axis only an amount of thrust. It seems like in your example you have absolutely no choice for a cruising for best speed or economy. or even trying to get to minimum flying speed to land. Your example is much more like a hot air balloon where the throttle is the axis control.

I don't see how you can reconcile having a much higher cruise speed and what seems like no crosswind landing ability.

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009

edmund745 posted:

Yea. And powered parachute pilots (ALL of them) don't have that now. For recreational flying they do not see that as an issue. (And the guy with the Lear jet thinks you are going too drat slow...)
They sacrifice speed because it's very cheap. Although I must admit I've never seen a trike powered parachute flying anywhere, and only a handful of fan on back types flown off hillsides. You don't seem to see the faults with an essentially single speed aeroplane. Unless that speed is extremely slow there are big issues. Whilst the guy with the lear might think you're going slow, the guy with the rv who can take off and land in a fraction of your distance, cruise at multiples of your speed, burn a lot less fuel, aerobatic and probably costs less than your proposal thinks your an idiot.

quote:

I mentioned before--some years back, maybe 20 years ago? a lot of the powered parachute trikes I saw in magazines came with caster wheels on all three wheels.
So while they were still limited to flying in pretty light winds, the wind direction didn't matter much since you could do crab takeoffs and landings whenever you needed to.
Now it appears that none of them I found are like that, and I don't know the reason for the change. ??? They still put one on the front?

The wki article on crosswinds landings mentions the steerable gear of the B-52:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crosswind_landing
And I recall a more-recent experimental jetliner that had the same thing.
I wonder why all small aircraft don't have all-pivoting landing gear? It is difficult to build for a large plane (that would need power steering) but not for a small one that could just use caster wheels. It would seem to make crosswinds pretty much a non-issue.

If you're free castoring all your wheels how do you do ground handling and taxiing, or even braking for that matter without adding lots of complexity and weight?
Crosswind gear was briefly available for some cessna models, I think 185s and 195s generally speaking though people didn't like it because it had unusual handling features, added weight, complexity and expense.

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009
Fantastic aircraft helno ,

Are you planning some longer trips in it?

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009
Sounds like an excellent trip. How'd it go?

In homebuilt news I've been potentially offered an RV8 in superb condition. I'd love to buy it but it may be way more than I can afford :(

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009

concise posted:

How much??

£110'000. 180hp IO360, 3 axis autopilot, good avionics (mostly glass), 3 blade mt constant speed, tip tanks. The attractive part is the minimal maintenance costs and being able to do it yourself.

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009
Ouch, Was that picked up flying in or parked up?

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009
Yep, I think so if you're a bit involved with them. I'm certified on the husky but try to be involved with the maintenance as much as possible.

In homebuilt news I've made an offer on the rv8 and the owner is thinking about it.

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009
Congratulations on the new pane helno. Looks like a fun project!

I keep looking out for an rv7 or 8 as my previous deal fell through. However values I suspect of the good ones will be going up as the UK has just announced permit aircraft will be allowed to fly ifr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009
Looking good helno,

There is just something about v-tails . They look great.

• Locked thread