Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

After going home to visit my folks for Christmas, I've kinda picked up the homebuilt bug. My dad has a mostly-finished Hatz biplane in the garage, and he's half-way convinced me that building a Pietenpol Air Camper (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pietenpol_Air_Camper) in my house is a good idea. Worse, he brought out a roll of Pietenpol plans and said I can take them back with me if I want.

Anybody have opinions on the Piet, thoughts on homebuilding, etc.?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

helno posted:

The other question is what kind of license/experience have you got?

You would hate to start building something only to figure out that you don't really have the desire to fly it that much.

I remember back when I was a Cadet helping a guy install the wings on his Air Camper. Seems like a great open cockpit plane.

My dad has flown little 2-person planes for about 15 years now, so I've been up with him in an American Champion and a Cessna 150 quite a bit, also took the stick from time to time.

I've also helped him build on his Hatz so I understand how long it can take. I think realistically I could put in maybe 10 hours a week, which would probably have the Piet done in 2-3 years, speaking optimistically.

I'm also planning to do at least a few lessons at the local training school. They do primarily taildragger training, which is perfect for my interests. I figure after a few lessons, I'll decide if I actually want to pursue the sport pilot cert and start building. If I want to keep going, I'll work toward the license and probably buy some starter parts from Aircraft Spruce.

Edit: as for type of flying, low and slow is awesome. I love just putting along in the Champ, nice slow banks on an afternoon, being able to see all the details below. Plus, it's easier to walk away from an accident when you can glide down to a field at running speed. I've never flown in a low-wing plane except for short rides in a cropduster and a BT-13. I like the high wing planes because you can look straight down. Based on everything I've come across from hanging with my dad and looking online, the piet seems great for me. Although I'd probably want to lose 20 lbs to more easily bring passengers... Ought to do that anyway.

Pham Nuwen fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Dec 31, 2012

• Locked thread