Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
You can dig through that in an hour or so if you are motivated :v:

I didn't read the whole thread, but will tomorrow over lunch most likely. So just ignore this or tell me it's already answered if it has been.

What are people using for PSRUs on Subaru engines? I'm hoping to build my own at some point in the future, and have settled on an EJ22 shortblock/EJ25D heads/turbo build since Subaru mechanics I know and trust tell me you can romp on that setup basically all day at high RPMs without problems at around the 200-250hp level. Since I'm on a budget and engines/avionics/PSRU/prop/landing gear are (at least as far as I can tell) the most expensive parts of building an airplane, I've been researching each one in turn so I know what I'm in for financially. The PSRUs I've been finding for Subaru engines tend to either be chinesium (which I don't trust with my life) like the aeroflight 33 generally posted about by banned user "1946" on various homebuilt forums, or Eggenfellner boxes based off Subaru 5MT gearsets and custom housings, or full custom units, and all seem to run in the 6-10k USD range. That's rather more than I was expecting or hoping to have to spend, is there anything cheaper that is well respected or should I just start saving now?

I found another box that seemed well respected for either 3 or 6 grand each, but can't remember the name of it now. I think it started with an M?

e: Worst case, I actually work for an aerospace company (if you saw a flying car at Oshkosh last year, well, I spent yesterday rewiring and calibrating strain gauges on it for our next upcoming test flights!) and sit next to the engineer in charge of the gearbox, I'm sure we can come up with something, but if it's possible to get a quality box in the 2-3k USD price range, I'd rather just buy one premade.

kastein fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Feb 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Thanks! I will definitely check out that website. Yeah, apparently my numbers were somewhat... unrealistic. The same people I thought told me 250hp was reachable now say that 200 is a bit optimistic, but probably possible, and upgrading the rings will probably be necessary to maintain that kind of power + RPM without wearing out quickly.

The plan right now is to run exactly the setup I listed, but minus the turbo, with space set aside for the turbo/intercooler. If I don't think I have enough power, add it on later, and refresh the rings/bearings/etc as well. If I go turbo, I should probably consider piston oil sprayers also, so that's all off the table for now.

Also, I came up with what I think is a winning combo of cheap bulletproof factory parts, cheap bulletproof aftermarket parts, things I can fabricate easily using regular plate aluminum and maybe having a few things turned/splined/hardened, and mostly COTS wear parts for the PSRU. I'm not saying exactly what it is because I think there might actually be a market for a kit based on this idea and if that's gonna happen, I want to be the one who does it. The ratio I'm planning is around 2.7:1 and the geartrain involved is rated by the manufacturer for 1600 to 1900 foot pounds, while experience dictates there's a significant safety factor on that number. If you've figured it out, please don't spill the beans ;)

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Jesus christ, quit while you are ahead.

Or go loving build one and prove everyone wrong.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Yeah, could have been way worse.

It's too bad BRS chutes aren't more common yet. That probably would have been completely rebuildable and many aircraft insurers will waive the deductible if you pull the big red handle.

• Locked thread