Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

helno posted:

They were used as military flight trainers up here so it is considered a poor mans warbird.

Royal Danish Airforce used them as trainers for 26 goddamn years. They retired in 1976 to be replaced by Saab T-17 Supporters, so they've been used to train for everything from Supermarine Spitfires over Republic F-84 Thunderjets and F-100 Super Sabres to Saab 35 Drakens. 2.400 Danish airforce pilots got their education through the Chipmunk.

16 of the fuckers were sold off for civilian use from Flyvestation Værløse in 1976 for about $5K each. 10 year old me still hates my dad for not buying me one.

I think there's at least 2 or 3 flyable left in Denmark. I definitely know that OY-FLV is still airworthy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Colonel K posted:

That's an interesting colour scheme.

That's the original RDA scheme. Some of our current F-16s has weird paint-jobs too.

Pilots patch is kind of cool:

Sir Cornelius fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Nov 3, 2013

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Blistex posted:

I honestly don't know where he's getting that HP figure since Mazda's most powerful commercially available engine was the 13B-REW in the RX-7 wich generated 280 HP, and was already twin-turbocharged. The only engines over that HP were experimental and for concept cars that never materialized and their LeMans offering which was a 4-Rotor 700HP monster.

Don't worry too much about it. Nobody has heard anything from him since 2010 when he was looking for sponsors to finish his lovely build replica and still didn't have an engine.

Sir Cornelius fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Feb 22, 2014

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

MrYenko posted:

That thing looks like what you'd get if you asked a scale modeler with zero engineering knowledge to build an airplane.

His idea of building a frame for foam and use that as a mold for a fiber fuselage is somewhat legit, but my loving Gods, that wood frame was all kinds of hosed, and his plan was to keep it in there.

Sir Cornelius fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Feb 22, 2014

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Blistex posted:

He was saying that the frame looks warped due to the camera lens and everything is in fact straight.

Yeah, right.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Blistex posted:

Can't seem to find the thread all of this was posted in before, but it is worth reading as this guy gets seriously butthurt and storms off.

Here: http://www.homebuiltairplanes.com/forums/warbirds-warbird-replicas/7523-all-new-full-size-replica-messerschmitt-bf-109-g-6-a.html

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

MrYenko posted:

HIGH QUALITY PINE.

:commissar:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

helno posted:

The fact that he was looking for investors without having a finished product looks pretty shady.

Oh, if you take a look at his website, he's still looking for investors. Not really for the aircraft but for the engine. All you have to do is help him out building a 350-700Hp-ish Mazda rotary to haul his lumber and foam around.

• Locked thread