Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

helno posted:

I honestly have never seen a Rotary powered plane. I remember reading articles about them but they seem to have fallen out of favour.

My understanding of why rotary engines seemed to be a good idea in planes is that it came down to two things: (1) the inherent smoothness of the design, and (2) with iron rotors in an aluminum housing (vs. aluminum pistons in an aluminum or iron housing) they can't seize from overheating. You can also run a rotary engine with pre-mixed oil like a two-stroke, which saves you from having the oiling system as a point of failure.

Not sure why they fell out of favor, though. Just too strange a design for people to get used to?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I actually was wondering that after I posted. I think what they take out is the oil metering pump, which continuously feeds a small amount of oil into the combustion chamber, and just premix the gas instead. I remember now that the 12As (at least) have oil coolers, though, so there must be a larger supply of it somewhere for maintaining the e-shaft and things. And oil cooling may be very important to the engine's running, since there's such a huge temperature differential.

Well, scratch that as an advantage. They're still extremely smooth though and only have like three moving parts (that's definitely fewer points of failure) and the power-to-weight and power-to-volume ratio is quite high. Plus you can negate the low torque by running them at their optimum RPM all the time and just gearing down to the propeller.

• Locked thread