Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ferris Bueller
May 12, 2001

"It is his fault he didn't lock the garage."

helno posted:

I have been told that if you cant get approved for a class 3 medical you should probably not be driving.

Pretty much this with the exception of previous heart attacks. It's really expensive to get a class three medical after a heart attack that many guys just don't and continue to fly. Wrong, yes, but the hosed up nature* of the FAAs Aeromedical division kinnda forces peoples hands

Nice thread idea this is really the only "affordable" way for the common guy or gal to go flying on a regular basis these days.

*If it was an advancement in medicine past the 70's they just try not to know about it, and stick to the common knowledge of that day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferris Bueller
May 12, 2001

helno posted:

Apparently the single seat Lazairs are pretty docile single engine but do require alot of rudder. Depending on the pilots weight and the condition of the engines it is possible to maintain altitude and climb.

From my Uncle the best bet is to treat it like a single engine plane. Always keep an eye out for a field to land in and kill the second engine to keep your workload down on the approach.

I watched one lose an engine and go below min control speed, lose directional control and stuffed it into a swampy are next to the runway the pilot departed from. Fortunately for the guy flying the Lazair it was soft enough and the angle he arrived at was flat enough he got bruised up real good but walked(limped,) away.

I would say that's pretty sage advice from you uncle.

Are there published single engine speeds for the Lazair or is it more a cross that bridge when you get to it, and try not to get to it sort of thing?

Ferris Bueller
May 12, 2001

helno posted:

I havent flown it yet but as advised I have spent about 1.5 hours taxing around and different speeds to seee just how it handles. It handles about as well as a backwards shopping cart if you are at the right speed and are abit ham fisted with the throttles. Unfortunatly at low speeds the only directional control is via differential trust and the natural reaction to throttle back the engines when you get a bit squirelly only makes things worse.

Last night I was doing much better and was easily handling the transition to flying the tail speeds back down to a standstill and getting it turned around. Now I just need to wait for the winds to settle down or at least blow directly down the runway so I can get this plane in the air.

One thing I found flying a Beech 18(tain dragging twin) that may help you is to stop a turn you need more power for less amount of time then you spent around the turn to kill that turning momentum. Ex. If I spent 10 seconds turning right with the left at idle and the right at 10% power, I might need 3-5 seconds of 20-25%ish power on the left with the right at idle to kill the turn and resume a straight taxi. Lots of throttle swapping in that thing. This thing had an H tail so the prop wash helped make the rudders effective, as well as differential brakes, so I don't know how helpful this is to you.

Sounds like you're doing it right though, can't wait to hear about the first flight, good luck, be safe, and have fun.

Ferris Bueller
May 12, 2001

Congrats. Glad all went well and you had fun.

Ferris Bueller
May 12, 2001

Slung Blade posted:

I love the schoolbus style fan behind the pilot there. Does it fly high enough to let the atmosphere cool down the cabin or does it get sweltering in there in the summer?

To put it into perspective the passenger windows on an airliner are about 1.5-2 square feet. My side window on the jet I fly is about 6 square feet and the front is around the same, for a total of about 24 square feet of window in the front, and in the passenger cabin 36ish. Also in the front of a jet you generally have most of the electrical relays, most of the avionics, a dark painted glare shield collecting heat, and two humans putting off body heat in something about the size of a closet, so it can get hot quick. So much so that the flight deck alone uses 80-90% of the cooling capacity of one of the two air cycle machines to keep the area cool.

Ferris Bueller
May 12, 2001

helno posted:

Probably not used simply because it is just not an aircraft engine. People really like there archaic fixed ignition timing and ice prone carbs.

I really think it's more of that's what got grandfathered/certified in the past, and getting something certified(yes I realize it doesn't need to be but I think having a certified engine vs non certified let alone proven aircraft powerplant, verse something being adapted to the roll swings many consumers toward the proven design*,) let alone TSO'd these days is crazy expensive for the manufacture.

Nerobro posted:

I suppose you could fly on a MotoGuzzi... but I have something deeply against using italian motors for anything that's life dependent.

HAHA, hand made with Italian passion to explode with Italian passion.

*Which is kinda funny that so many experimental builders are not actually experimenting, but I understand where they are coming from. Yes I realize that many guys are experimenting as well, and I'm not trying to dig anyone at all who has the balls/whatever to build their own airplane, tried and true design or drawing it up yourself.

Ferris Bueller fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jul 30, 2012

Ferris Bueller
May 12, 2001

Nerobro posted:

I have had this argument with myself a few times. And.. after hanging out on enough builder forums, I've determined that even though you fly a "RV6" or "A Hummelbird" or whatever.. the chances of your plane matching the performance of another plane are so slim that you might as well be flying a one off.

That's what makes a certified plane so expensive. Building the planes to the EXACT SAME STANDARD so that the same numbers can be used from plane to plane. the RV's get close... But most homebuilts tend to be different in some significant fashion from the plans, or even the kit. Sadly, most builders don't thoroughly test their planes to properly determine what their flight envelope really is.

Sure, and I've seen that argument as well, and frankly it's one I can accept. For the most part, apart from the few guys like Rutan, the truly experimental stuff has waned away in my opinion, or at least the sun has set on the golden years of amateur experimental aviation. However having a robust experiment segment in the GA sector is nothing but a good thing, which I still think advances the field of understanding, albeit at a slower pace.

After flying fleet aircraft, both FAR part 23 and 25 certified aircraft, I think I can safely say even the big manufacturers struggle with this as well, again though point taken.

While I have dreams of an Acrosport or Skybolt one day, they still are dreams, so my interest is there, just not the knowledge of building a proven design and getting it close to the intended flight envelope. I'll have to be Mr. Patient on that as well and try to beat back Mr Instant Gratification if I do build a plane, though I've read through enough accident reports, that I have no interest in becoming one of the, didn't test enough statistics.

Ferris Bueller fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jul 30, 2012

Ferris Bueller
May 12, 2001

I like the "one axis control" on the ERJ-175. It's the one labeled "AP" on the flight guidance panel.

In non retarded afraid to fly an airplane until I mitigate all risks out of being barely high enough and fast enough to kill you land, that bearhawk looks like a sweet plane. The name even is cool. Kinda a STOL, rugged back country type of plane?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferris Bueller
May 12, 2001

Whats hanger rent like in your area? Where I learned to fly this was most guys man caves.

• Locked thread