Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
uli2000
Feb 23, 2015
I have a question that is slightly related, and since I'm too cheap to pony up for search this was the first aircraft related thread I found.

Flight training is something that's interested me since I was a kid. Now that Im at a point in life where I have the means to learn to fly, Im seriously thinking about it now. I live in a small rural town in the US. We have a GA airport that pretty much only gets used for medical flights now. The county has been able to contract with a college to start doing some flight training. I don't know what it will cost, but looking at what students pay at their main campus, drat. One thing I thought about was doing something like the Sporty's ground school course, getting that out of the way, and then worry about the actual behind the yoke training whether it be with the college at the local airport or another option. Has anyone gone this route, doing study at home ground school before moving onto the practical portion of learning to fly at a school? Are they gonna make me retake the written stuff over anyways?

Another option I've considered is purchasing an airplane I can learn to fly in. My brother in law trained to be a commercial pilot but went another direction after 9/11 and the airlines going to poo poo. While I don't think he's current, he is a CFI. Ive seen 60's era Pipers and Mooneys in the 20-30k range, current on annuals, but high hours and possibly needing overhauls in the near future. Is this a sensible option or is burning huge piles of cash a better option than getting a plane? I think I could get the BIL to go in on it, maybe half, help him get current again then have him train me in our spare time. What would you say the monthly outlay is for plane ownership between slip rental (not sure what they call this in aviation, but whatever they call parking the plane, doesnt have to be in a hanger, Im sure thats loads more), insurance (Im guessing a a training/new pilot, my insurance is gonna be a lot more), and other incidentals that come out of plane ownership?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread