Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

You can also run a rotary engine with pre-mixed oil like a two-stroke, which saves you from having the oiling system as a point of failure.

I know people run them premix to treat the seals better, but would this actually protect the bearings on the eccentric shaft too? It seems like they would still need oil pressure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I'd bet the gearbox cuts a lot of the weight savings, and possibly fear of apex seals (though in an airplane carbon buildup shouldn't be an issue, I suppose).

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Sad would be if the end of that story involved a funeral home. Sucks about the plane but it can be rebuilt or replaced.

• Locked thread