Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Now you're thinking with portals!

Colonel K posted:

even a J3 cruises at about 70mph on 40hp. It can also land in a crosswind.

I keep looking at the thunder mustang every now and then. It seems like an incredible machine, but I imagine getting one into the UK would be nothing but hassle. Still 300 knots for 20gph is impressive.

probably not really better than an rv to live with though.

You don't really live with a Thunder Mustang... you tend to die pretty quickly. There were (at least) three Thunder Mustang crashes in 2014 alone, one fatal, out of a fleet of only 37 aircraft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Back to airplane-chat, I bought plans for the 4-seat Bearhawk (#1366)!

I'm hoping I can finish this in, say, under 15 years.

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Sanguine posted:

Awesome, should be a fairly different ride to the Lazair! Best of luck with the inspection, I'm sure it's at least a little nerve wracking.

Nice! I started (and soon aborted) a Pitts S1-S a few years back, and am keenly looking at Hatz Classic plans now. What's the build like - chrome moly fuselage and Al wings? Any cloth? It's a huge task, best of luck to you too!

Yup, 4130 fuselage and aluminum wings. The control surfaces and fuselage are all fabric covered.

Although since I last posted my son was born and I've been wondering if hammer forming and riveting is something I should, y'know, not be doing in a workshop that's attached to the house. Especially since the only time I have these days is in the evenings after everyone's gone to bed. So, I'm not sure if I should continue down the Bearhawk path, or go with a Cozy or something where I can work for a few years without requiring an air compressor.

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Kids get used to noise if they're exposed to it. They get tired and have to sleep; it's a biological imperative.

Well, yeah, but air riveters are pretty loud, no? He deals well with noise, at least compared to some kids I've heard of, but there's a difference between sleeping through people talking and periodic 100db percussive riveter blasts on the other side of the bedroom wall. My bedroom also shares a wall with the shop so the wife might have something to say as well.

I could be wrong. I hope I'm wrong. But I don't really want to sink a couple thousand into tools only to find out that I'm SOL.

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Hah, awesome. I know two of the Snowbirds from Cadets as well (#2/6).

I'm attempting to get flying again; the hardest part I think will be getting familiar with the regs and procedures, more so than the stick and rudder skills.

• Locked thread