Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

I want a cri-cri very badly. Someone make me one. Thanks in advance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

helno posted:

I'll take a Subsonex if anyone is taking requests.

Oshkosh tickets are purchased. If all goes to plan I am trailering the Lazair down and camping at the private campground adjacent to the ultralight area.

Will you be able to fly it at all?

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

helno posted:

Technically the Lazair fits in under Far 103 but I will be using an SFOC that allows Canadian ultralights to fly into the states.

http://www.faa.gov/aircraft/gen_av/ultralights/sfa/media/ultra.pdf

I was asking in terms of being able to fly during oshkosh... is there any capacity to just go for a quick flight? It seems like it would be way too busy to do much flying.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Hello, has anyone finished building my cri-cri yet?

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

helno posted:

There are a few in the area despite our lack of lakes (We only have one and it is a big one.)

I looked back at the beginning of this thread and remembered the questions about single engine performance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtbKCb_LdBM

My friend Pete suffered a partial engine failure, it wouldn't go much above idle. Pete was only a couple of hundred feet up when it happened and he flew SEVEN MILES on one engine. Landing was uneventful. Looks like he blew a rear crank seal and the fuel/oil messed with his ignition.

In Other news I might be buying a Davis DA-2A, the price is right and I am just waiting to hear back what the empty weight is. I need at least 450lbs of useful load for it to be much good for me. If this goes through the Lazair will be for sale. If not I'll keep saving for something more boring like a 150 or a Cherokee.

Where are you located (roughly) and how much would you be asking for the Lazair?

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

helno posted:

I am in Kincardine Ontario. I would be selling the Lazair with it's trailer I would hope to get around $4500 for them both.

Here is a list of the work I have done in the last three years.

Mejeslik carbon fibre props
MGL asi/alt
UV resistant tape applied to wings and tail
New tires
Bicycle disk brakes
New fuel tank and lines
LED Strobe light

Trailer
New axle
New tires
New flooring

I'm fantasizing about it. Probably wouldn't be prudent. I wonder if it would fit in the hangar with my 172....

That said, what you said earlier about landing being hairy with the slightest crosswind is turning me off a bit. There's almost always a crosswind at my airport and we have an asphalt runway. There are a couple of long grass "taxiways" that they may also allow for use in landing, but the crosswind on those would usually be worse.

What's the recommended way to get into flying something like a Lazair when there is no possibility of dual instruction? I guess it's trial by fire.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

I'm pretty sure older Quicksilvers and many other ultralights have no ailerons, but they have elevators.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

edmund745 posted:

Yea that is what I mean. Which would be a "1-axis control aircraft", since they count control 'surfaces' and so they don't count the throttle....

There is a lot of info on "2-axis control aircraft" (mainly homebuilts) if one searches. None I found was using a canard configuration tho.
Many that have 3-axis surfaces but 2-axis controls just link the rudder to the ailerons.
Just about all of them that only really have 2-axis surfaces lack the ailerons and just have the rudder & elevator. Incorrect aileron use is the cause of spins but the elevator is how you stall, and the thought here was to avoid stalling or spinning.

It's just idle chit-chat I suppose.
The main cause of small aircraft crashes seems to be the engine suddenly not working at inopportune moments, and nobody has any good solution for that issue yet.

Stalling while uncoordinated is the cause of spins.

GA accidents are not mostly due to engine failure.

Reducing control axes seems like a really misguided way to try to improve safety. Note that 2-axis ultralights have a very difficult time with even a light crosswind, for example.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

edmund745 posted:

It's not my pet theory; powered parachutes have been flying around on single-axis control for ~33 years.

What is the point of all this? This is not a thread for kids with aspergers to tell us about their amazing new theories on a subject for which they have exactly zero training or foundation while summarily dismissing anyone with the same.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

helno posted:

Go take a discovery flight and a ground school course and you will realize why we think your idea is stupid.

You're talking to a classical ideas guy. He's not going to do a goddamn thing about this other than make lots of nonsense posts and ignore anyone with criticism.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

helno posted:

I've never specifically tried to get best glide for distance because I move so slow it is pretty meaningless. Minimum sink is around 28 mph so best glide would be a few mph faster.

For a second I thought this meant minimum unpowered descent rate was 28mph (2464fpm)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Are certified aircraft allowed in this thread?

• Locked thread