Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Trabant posted:

Thread necromancy! Another present for a goon:

It's a field notes cover (pattern from here, slightly modified), Conceria Walpier Buttero veg tan chestnut of about 1.5mm from RMLS, and a fabric lining from Etsy because we're watch dorks.

I screwed up the spacing for the liner so it's kinda visible where the outer and inner leather layers meet. I stitched it really well and burnished the crap out of the edges but still :mad:

This is super clean looking, awesome work!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Thank you! :)

I don't know if I'm getting better, but I'm definitely making fewer basic mistakes and feeling more confident. I probably could get a lot better if I made stuff more frequently than 6 months apart :thunk:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Another necomancy!

I have this old military map case and thought you guys here would be the best to know how to deal with it. It's pretty old and has some patina but also water spots and cracking at the top. I'm ordering some Saphir Renovateur, creme and polish for my shoes and thought I could take care of the case as well somehow. Any suggestions?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Anyone know where to buy a purse made out of actual real, good leather? My wife has been complaining that her purse developed holes (due to flexing of whatever weird fake leather it's made of) after less than a year, and I'd like to get her a better one.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Depending on the definition of "purse" there may be something at WP Standard that fits the bill. I bought one of their messenger bags more than 12 years ago -- fantastic leather and construction, still going strong.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

mobby_6kl posted:

Another necomancy!

I have this old military map case and thought you guys here would be the best to know how to deal with it. It's pretty old and has some patina but also water spots and cracking at the top. I'm ordering some Saphir Renovateur, creme and polish for my shoes and thought I could take care of the case as well somehow. Any suggestions?

I've done the "saddle soap to clean, leather conditioner to recover, optional top coat to protect" thing before. Both Leather Honey and Chamberlain Leather Milk products have worked well for me.

And yeah, I imagine Saphir would absolutely do the trick, but it's more $/gram than cocaine so I've reserved that for shoes only.

tinned owl
Oct 5, 2021

Pham Nuwen posted:

Anyone know where to buy a purse made out of actual real, good leather? My wife has been complaining that her purse developed holes (due to flexing of whatever weird fake leather it's made of) after less than a year, and I'd like to get her a better one.

Where are you?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

tinned owl posted:

Where are you?

California, Bay Area. In-person would be great but I'm quite happy to order online -- some of those WP Standard totes look about right.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

Pham Nuwen posted:

California, Bay Area. In-person would be great but I'm quite happy to order online -- some of those WP Standard totes look about right.

I like Jungletribe. Their styling is a bit over-the-top but I have one of their hip bags and it's fantastic. The one I have is mostly goat leather. https://www.jungletribe.shop/shop/12366185/bags-purses

Alternatively, there's West Coast Leather. Their shop is in the marina, I think. They're pricey, but their leather is good. I got a jacket from them almost 10 years ago and it's still in perfect shape.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Trabant posted:

Thank you! :)

I don't know if I'm getting better, but I'm definitely making fewer basic mistakes and feeling more confident. I probably could get a lot better if I made stuff more frequently than 6 months apart :thunk:

God drat I feel this.

Got burnt out but got back into it. Guy at a shop I frequent pulled his wallet out a couple weeks ago and it was literally falling apart. He's a good guy, just had some rough times the past few years and always happy to help anyone who needs it. He's also a massive star wars nerd. I happened across some patterns and thought...eh, gently caress it.

Ignore the speckles on the black parts, it was sitting on the bench while I was sanding/cutting/punching other leather and it got dusty.

I wasn't entirely happy with it and I'm still not, but gave up and gave it a final polish with atom wax and gave it to him. He was absolutely overjoyed, and felt good to have someone appreciate something I made like that.

So now I'm also making a cthulu mask.

tinned owl
Oct 5, 2021
That's nice, subtle, I guess it's plain outside?

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Yeah just plain black for the shell.

I still haven't got the nerve to start trying stamping and tooling.

tinned owl
Oct 5, 2021
Me neither but I've had great success with using 3d printed stamps on wet leather, makes for great logos!

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

iwentdoodie posted:

God drat I feel this.

Sup barely occasional leatherwork buddy! That's a cool wallet and kind thing to do, good on ya :)

I needed a small one day build because a woodturning project took me weeks to finish, so here's a keychain I made recently:

I don't actually drive a Yugo, but my family is ex-:tito: so I handed out a few to be worn on our Honda and Nissan keys :v: The badge is vinyl that I cut out and then protected with a dome of UV-cured resin.

Next up is a first for me, in the next couple of weeks: making a tool bag per Dieselpunk.ro's pattern:

Trying new-to-me things along the way, including using 1.5mm round stitch holes instead of diamond, saddle-stitch ones I've been using so far. The leather is 6-7oz and there's plenty of stitching to do, figured I'd save myself a bit of pain on the first attempt.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Trabant posted:

Sup barely occasional leatherwork buddy! That's a cool wallet and kind thing to do, good on ya :)

Next up is a first for me, in the next couple of weeks: making a tool bag per Dieselpunk.ro's pattern:

Trying new-to-me things along the way, including using 1.5mm round stitch holes instead of diamond, saddle-stitch ones I've been using so far. The leather is 6-7oz and there's plenty of stitching to do, figured I'd save myself a bit of pain on the first attempt.

Thank you. And I love that Yugo Keychain.

I've done a lot of his patterns, as well as leatherhub and creative awl, and I stand by these punches

Just have to pick out the correct spacing. I think most of his are 6mm spacing, at least that's the set I have.

tinned owl
Oct 5, 2021
I upgraded my hole punching to an Arbor press with a chuck in and it's so much better, quicker and quieter than punching by hand. I can punch at night when the kids are in bed or when I'm having a lovely day and not have issues.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

iwentdoodie posted:

Thank you. And I love that Yugo Keychain.

I've done a lot of his patterns, as well as leatherhub and creative awl, and I stand by these punches

Just have to pick out the correct spacing. I think most of his are 6mm spacing, at least that's the set I have.

Hey, exactly the one I ordered! And yes, I went with 6mm. Amazon said they'd deliver on the 18th and then changed it to today. Let's just check in on that:

Ah :negative:

tinned owl posted:

I upgraded my hole punching to an Arbor press with a chuck in and it's so much better, quicker and quieter than punching by hand. I can punch at night when the kids are in bed or when I'm having a lovely day and not have issues.

Hmm, can a chuck hold onto flat irons like these?

I ask because I tried using the arbor press, although admittedly without a chuck -- I just drilled a hole into the ram because my old chisels had a round handle. Never could get it to punch perfectly vertically though, which was surprising.

tinned owl
Oct 5, 2021
A chuck can hold those but not without scratching them and they won't be ideal. I'd print a suitable collet shaped to the handle personally but that's not a tool everyone has.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Trabant posted:

Hey, exactly the one I ordered! And yes, I went with 6mm. Amazon said they'd deliver on the 18th and then changed it to today. Let's just check in on that:

Ah :negative:

Sounds about right. I ordered something for this mask, was supposed to be Friday, said out for delivery, nope. Saturday, same. Finally delivered Sunday night. Hopefully it comes in!

Progress. Slow but steady.

Lots of mistakes and issues but honestly I plan on making at least 1 more.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Oh, that's looking :krad:!

My Wuta punches arrived, with the 2-prong punch having one needle tip broken off and stuck into the handle :mad: Replacement ahoy...

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Oh wtf. It wasn't in a padded box? Can't remove the set screw and just yank it put and put the punch tip in? That seriously sucks.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
It was well-packaged, at least on the outside, but it might've been a return that was just turned around and re-sold. The needle tip was broken off and it left the shaft stuck in the body of the punch, so even removing the set screw doesn't help because there's nothing left of the needle to pull on.

About the only way that comes to mind would be to drill & tap the shaft that's stuck in the punch handle, then use a screw to pull it out. But I wasn't about to order a tap & die set and screws when an exchange is simple enough, esp. since we're talking tiny dimensions. Time to cough it up, Bezos Jassy!

(I'm keeping the old set until I receive the new one, because who knows what they'll send me)

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Yeah something definitely happened then. Once the set screw is even loose they normally just fall out.

All I have left on this thing now is the eyes and tentacles.

The tentacles are going to make me go insane. The second half of stitching each one is almost entirely passing needles into holes inside a tiny rear end opening in the leather. On the brightside after not doing this for a long time my calluses have already started to come back lol

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Double post don't care.

added the suckers to the tentacle backs

Sewed one together just to make sure I actually could.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

It's looking p drat cool though :)

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Yeah that gif is 100% correct. My wife sat and watched me doing the 2nd half of that one and finally just "and you do this to yourself....why, again?"

Tbh it's not really that bad. Just time consuming.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Well, this project is starting to get out of hand :shepspends:

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Fancy! Is that a locking or magnetic clasp on the left? Haven't used one yet.

Progress pic from the other night. Currently still needs one tentacle attached and the eyes put in; forgot to paint the mesh I'm using for eyes so it got skipped till that could dry. I'm not happy at all with how the eye covers came out but at this point also can't be hosed to do another pair.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Done.

And already started on a mannequin head because clearly I need to burn myself out after taking months off.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Ahaha that's amazing :cthulhu:

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
:krad: I love everything about it, and you are truly mad for even starting on it.

Is it this mannequin you're starting on? I've been eyeing the facehugger mask from that store -- and your project isn't helping :argh: -- so I'm wondering what their patterns are like.

--------

I wasn't able to get started on my toolbox build but I did realize there would be a lot of edge burnishing to do. Like, more than I'd like to do by hand. And since Amazon reviews of Dremel-compatible burnishers say they all end up bent and poo poo, I got on the lathe and copied one that had dimensions posted:

I've yet to install the metal rod, need some epoxy.

Yes, yes, I know -- should've made a flared base.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Thanks yall.

I looked at that one, and the face hugger, but I'm not confident I can match how they stained it or the casing and such on the face hugger so I opted not to.

Granted the only real reason I opted not to is dieselpunkro had/has a 75% mask patterns sale going on etsy so I grabbed a few of those and his mannequin pattern at the same time.

I had a small hoard of veg tan so this is all helping me knock it down and keep me busy at the same time.

E: also those look awesome. If they work out and you're in the states I'd buy a set off you. I actually ordered one for like 6 bucks from rocky mountain when I ordered edge paint the other day, but I hoard tools and would def buy off a goon.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

My everything hurts. Roughly 8hrs to go from individual sheets of paper to completely punched and cut leather for this one.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Lameasses not posting more smdh

This is where it sits right now, still need to dye the rest. Going out of town tonight and tomorrow for Punk in Drublic, so probably nothing else till Tuesday or so.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

iwentdoodie posted:

Lameasses not posting more smdh

That's because you're the only crazy person itt.

I mean, leatherwork? lmao, who even does that?

iwentdoodie posted:

E: also those look awesome. If they work out and you're in the states I'd buy a set off you. I actually ordered one for like 6 bucks from rocky mountain when I ordered edge paint the other day, but I hoard tools and would def buy off a goon.

Thank you :) I've yet to try them -- that's the next step in my build -- but if they turn out to be decent, I'd be happy to send you a free pair. I have leftover materials and it's a quick build, so I'd only charge you some advice on how I could make them better.

Dye is a complete mystery to me, so I'm fairly envious of your results. Sooner or later I'll need to jump into that end of the pool. Hurrah?

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Trabant posted:

That's because you're the only crazy person itt.

I mean, leatherwork? lmao, who even does that?

No one does it, including me. It's all a mystery.

Those pieces look great! Your nice smooth corners make me so loving jealous.

Trabant posted:

Thank you :) I've yet to try them -- that's the next step in my build -- but if they turn out to be decent, I'd be happy to send you a free pair. I have leftover materials and it's a quick build, so I'd only charge you some advice on how I could make them better.

Dye is a complete mystery to me, so I'm fairly envious of your results. Sooner or later I'll need to jump into that end of the pool. Hurrah?

Let me know and I'd be more than happy. I've started using the one from RML, it's not bad but I would happily switch it out for yours in a heartbeat. At least then I know for sure it wasn't made by some poor guy in southeast Asia who makes less in a week than they sell for.

Dye is....idk. it's not hard, but it can be a pain in the rear end. Having enough oil in the leather, but not so much it won't absorb. Not enough oil in it, turning thin pieces into cardboard. Coughing and turning your thigh a lovely shade of red.

I'm a fan of natural leather, but it feels odd on some things so I try it out.

I also just got a bottle of "fire red" edge paint (Uniters from RML, that poo poo is so easy to use) so I'm excited to try that on my next build instead of just burnishing or going with black.

Stik3
Jan 28, 2015

From President of the colonies to this.

iwentdoodie posted:

I also just got a bottle of "fire red" edge paint (Uniters from RML, that poo poo is so easy to use) so I'm excited to try that on my next build instead of just burnishing or going with black.

I only have one edge painting project under my belt - but I really love the look and feel of it, even the process itself is enjoyable. But man do I hate the drying time. Next time I make something I'm going to blow a fan on the drying edge to see if that speeds up the process any. If I can cut my dry time like.. in half that would be much more tolerable. But yeah, otherwise I love the result compared to burnishing.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
What are you using?

I like the Uniters cause its dry enough for 2nd coat in about 10m and enough to polish in 30ish

Stik3
Jan 28, 2015

From President of the colonies to this.

iwentdoodie posted:

What are you using?

I like the Uniters cause its dry enough for 2nd coat in about 10m and enough to polish in 30ish

Uniters, ~30 minutes wasn't enough for me, I usually left it for an hour between layers to be on the safe side. Maybe I've been laying it on too thick, but I've intentionally tried not to. Probably going to throw some on scrap and get a better idea, with and without airflow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Yeah definitely look at how much you're putting on. I'm coating some pieces while waiting on ac repair guy to get here (help I'm dying) and this picture is 9 minutes after first coat, dry to touch.

2nd coat on now and dry before I got done typing this.