Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
We have a handle!

It's padded with a small bit of the same 6-7oz leather sandwiched in the middle.

I have to say that the 1.5mm round punched holes are a lot easier to stitch when compared to the diamond-shaped ones. It's not for superfine goods, but it definitely works for something like this tool bag.

iwentdoodie posted:

Dye is....idk. it's not hard, but it can be a pain in the rear end. Having enough oil in the leather, but not so much it won't absorb. Not enough oil in it, turning thin pieces into cardboard. Coughing and turning your thigh a lovely shade of red.

Precisely why I always go with full aniline when I can :v: It costs more upfront, but I absolutely don't trust myself to do it properly. But if I go down the facehugger mask route, I'll have to figure out how to properly shade the various segments.

Stik3 posted:

Uniters, ~30 minutes wasn't enough for me, I usually left it for an hour between layers to be on the safe side. Maybe I've been laying it on too thick, but I've intentionally tried not to. Probably going to throw some on scrap and get a better idea, with and without airflow.

Huh, that's very different from my experience. I also used Uniters on a couple of pieces and it dries much faster than that. Maybe not 10 mins, but definitely under 15. I don't know if I can offer advice on what to vary though... Could be dumb luck on my end.

edit: applies to all my hobbies:

Trabant fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Oct 3, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tinned owl
Oct 5, 2021
Dye? I love how every piece of leather takes it slightly differently, even pieces from the same hide.

love mixing just the right shade

I dump all my leftover dye into a jar and occasionally when colour isn't crucial things get dyed OMNIBROWN

gotta put your mark on them

those goggles are a great way to use up leather scraps. I was never happy with the red bag and I get to make a new one this year

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
That all looks awesome.

and yeah, sometimes I do enjoy how the pieces look slightly different to one another. adds character. I will say, I def have the best experience with pro dye. regular fiebing leather dye is the one I have a love/hate with.

entirely because oxblood doesn't come in pro dye, and I've ruined multiple pieces trying to get that oxblood dye to loving behave. this is my first time using the royal blue and it's come out beyond my wildest expectation; each piece is slightly different but it all works together to look natural.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

tinned owl posted:

those goggles are a great way to use up leather scraps. I was never happy with the red bag and I get to make a new one this year

:krad: post

Also, your stamp reminded me: I ordered one the other day. The Etsy store said:

But then once the shipment went out:

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
ooo where yall ordering stamps? i want one but everything I find is like bespoke af and way more than I feel like spending

tinned owl
Oct 5, 2021
I drew mine up and 3d printed it in PLA, I can make it any size in an hour or so so if it doesn't last forever it's not a problem.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
I had OK-ish luck with a laser-cut acrylic stamp I made last year, but I sprung for a brass one from these guys during their 50% off sale:

https://www.etsy.com/shop/MyKitlifeworld

(last time I made a one-off customized gift stamp, this one is ~*my brand*~)

There are plenty of others who sell some version of stamps like these on Etsy. I should be getting it this week so I'll post an update once I'm able to test, prob this weekend.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
As I was making the lid of the bag, I realized it's the first three-dimensional object I've attempted to make out of leather:

tinned owl
Oct 5, 2021
Looking good. What are you using for the side catch hardware? I'm very tempted by that pattern.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
I'm going to try these:

https://www.buckleguy.com/magnetic-snap-riveted-backs-natural-brass-multiple-sizes/

(specifically the 18mm thin variant)

I'm thinking maybe I should've just bought his hardware kit, but... I don't know, the ones in the video are very nice yet somehow strike me as both too formal and too bulky for a tool bag. I don't really know how to explain it. Their opening mechanism makes me think it belongs on a nicer handbag and their size makes me think they'd be too easy to catch on straps/hooks/whatever else you might have in a shop environment.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Double post, don't care. Small experiment/deviation from the pattern is turning out pretty OK:

The pattern comes with this kind of tool strap:

But Tony suggested customizing it to the tools you're likely to carry around. And since I'm unlikely to carry many handled tools, I indeed changed it up. First I changed the strap length to be just a bit shorter than the panel it attaches to (which involved moving the stitching holes as well). Then I cut slots into the strap and pulled 1.5" heavy-duty elastic through it. Here's the face:

and the back:

The idea being that I'm more likely to use it to carry around stuff like this:

Pretty happy with how it turned out, even though burnishing the slots was absolutely impossible.

Now, will the elastic absolutely revolt against being stitched through? That's for Tomorrow Me to find out!

edit:

tinned owl posted:

I'm very tempted by that pattern.

Forgot to mention: prepare yourself for a fight when it comes to attaching the handle to the lid. And, the stitching holes are huge compared to the diamond-chisel kind, but you'll still be going through 3 layers of 6-7oz veg tan. I stitched that two days ago, my fingers still hurt :shepface:

Trabant fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Oct 6, 2023

tinned owl
Oct 5, 2021
I've made several of his patterns and I'm happy with the stitch holes. I also made his old tool catch pattern and there's 4 layers of 2+mm on that, i want to remake or at least re-dye it as it was an early one and I can do better now.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
That's looking awesome and now I want to make it too.

Edit: also for small openings like that to burnish, I've used a small dowel that I cut down before. Not show quality but seals at least. Or just whip some tokonole on the edges and call it good.

Tallboy can for scale since it's all I had handy last night.

All that's left is the shoulder pieces and the very bottom, I gotta find something to put in it for weight but it's awesome. I think I'm going to build the smaller head size one and make it into a backpack also.

So I should finish this up probably Monday, and then I think next is gonna be the wall mount dragon head. I can't even remember what all designs I got from him this last time lol. Also want to finally break down and order some nicer leather (probably buttero) and make myself a newer, nicer wallet now that I'm more confident.

Or I might just finally make my dogs some collars like I said I would when I bought that giant piece of bridle and made (1) belt. For myself.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
^ poo poo, that looks sturdy. Also a bit like a cousin to Gort from The Day The Earth Stood Still.

On my end, I made pockets!

Probably should've used chrome-tanned instead of suede... The suede is resilient enough but they're so very floppy. But also charmingly so.

Heading out of town for 11 days starting on Wednesday, so Tuesday evening is my self-imposed deadline to wrap this one up :ohdear:

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
those look very nice! and that shadow the pocket is casting onto the leather in the pic looks wild. like a printed drop shadow.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Thanks! :) Fairly happy with them, despite the floppiness.

Promised a review of the stamp a while back, so here it is: works pretty well!

I first emailed them the .svg design late on 9/21, ordered a few hours later. The stamp eventually arrived from Hong Kong to TX on 10/6. I got the "just mount it on a steel rod" version. You can see the tool marks from the CNC but the stamping surface itself is perfectly flat:

(I applied the blue tape so I can orient myself)

Leaves behind a very good mark when applied by an arbor press:

I could probably use it as a woodburning mark as well, but I don't think I want to test that. Very good for $30 all-in.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I too have recently discovered I can print any stamp I want with PLA.

Sometimes I don't hate living in the future.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Javid posted:

I too have recently discovered I can print any stamp I want with PLA.

Sometimes I don't hate living in the future.

:gowron:

You bring glory to the Empire!

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Meanwhile, I bring dishonour to my house because I wasn't able to finish the bag before having to pack and leave for 12 days :ughh:

But look at how pretty the stamped patch looks on the front panel!

To be continued, eventually.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Trabant posted:

Meanwhile, I bring dishonour to my house because I wasn't able to finish the bag before having to pack and leave for 12 days :ughh:

But look at how pretty the stamped patch looks on the front panel!

To be continued, eventually.

That looks fantastic, well done. Like the contrast with the stitching.

e: if you have a flat faced hammer (no markings on the face) might be nice to flatten the stiches out a little! Like a shoe hammer.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

VelociBacon posted:

That looks fantastic, well done. Like the contrast with the stitching.

e: if you have a flat faced hammer (no markings on the face) might be nice to flatten the stiches out a little! Like a shoe hammer.

Thanks and will do! I have a hammer dedicated to just that, because I'm a gigantic dork.

Having said that... the thread is so chunky (1mm) and stitch holes are so big (1.5mm) that I don't know if hammering it down will actually make a difference. It certainly does when I've made other stuff using diamond chisels and smaller thread, so it's worth a shot.

tinned owl
Oct 5, 2021
It makes a little difference, if you want to really flatten it you need to put in a stitch groove before you stitch.

How will you be finishing the bag? I've never left anything so light.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Ha, I actually already applied Aussie Wax. It made the leather just a tiny bit darker but yeah, still extremely light. I'm ok with having it slowly patina over time. Probably very slowly.

I got the most natural of veg tan available at Tandy for this purpose, it was somehow the most cost-effective option... Which I then negated by blowing a bunch of money on hardware at BuckleGuy :v:

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
My daily use bag is natural veg with just some neatsfoot when I made it. The patina is awesome.

Hi it's me the weirdo who likes plain veg tan and patina on everything.

tinned owl
Oct 5, 2021
One of the first things I made was a hip/belt bag to carry my crap when doing archery, now it lives inside my main back pack but gets handled lots. Neatsfoot oil originally, now layers of goon hand grease. Love the patina on that too.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
The bag is done! To recap, the patterns are from Dieselpunk.ro (bag, strap), the leather is 6-7oz veg tan and ~3oz suede from Tandy, and hardware is from Buckleguy.

Weighing in at an absurd, downright comical 3lb 4oz (aka 1.5kg) when empty, it's by far the biggest thing I've made of leather.

Next steps:

1) Use it to get some actual ~*patina*~ going.

2) Never build something like this again. My poor, wretched hands.

3) Build something like this again, because you're a dummy who forgets how much it hurt.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

tinned owl posted:

One of the first things I made was a hip/belt bag to carry my crap when doing archery, now it lives inside my main back pack but gets handled lots. Neatsfoot oil originally, now layers of goon hand grease. Love the patina on that too.

I'm gonna pivot my YouTube channel to leatherwork and start selling goon hand grease as the hot new leather finish product.

tinned owl
Oct 5, 2021

Trabant posted:

Next steps:

1) Use it to get some actual ~*patina*~ going.

2) Never build something like this again. My poor, wretched hands.

3) Build something like this again, because you're a dummy who forgets how much it hurt.

Beautifully done!
And the answer is 1 and 3, fill with tools, use tools.

You got me wanting to weigh the explorer backpack I use daily now, I know it's heavy but don't know how much exactly

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Made this for a goon secret santa thing and it has been revealed so I can now post it here too.

This is a pouch made using a panel with a skull print from RMLS:

The pouch is meant for a watch (which is why there are a couple of watch straps inside) and I went with a skull pattern because... the recipient has a skeleton avatar :v:

A thing that I learned is that patterned leather -- at least this particular pattern -- makes it really tough to see the stitch line. Just marking it with dividers enough to be visible was a struggle. I honestly don't know what I could've done differently though... there are only so many ways to scratch a line 3mm away from the edge.

Cotton Candidasis
Aug 28, 2008

That's an awesome pouch!

Depending on the leather and how visible/prominent you want the stitch line, you could use a stitch groover to carve a shallow groove for the line. Not sure how it would effect the project in this instance, but it does make it easier to see the stitch line.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Made this (from a DS Leather pattern) as a sample for a make-along "class" I might offer at the local makerspace. I'm not the greatest leatherworker, but I'm one of the best at our place so they asked me to think about it :v:

I could offer a "here's how I cut/stitch/burnish" kind of demo, but I think people are going to be a lot more interested if there's something they can take home at the end of it.

Cotton Candidasis posted:

That's an awesome pouch!

Depending on the leather and how visible/prominent you want the stitch line, you could use a stitch groover to carve a shallow groove for the line. Not sure how it would effect the project in this instance, but it does make it easier to see the stitch line.

Thank you! re: groover -- I really should give that thing a shot. Got it in a tool set, tried it on some scrap once, annnnnd I haven't touched it in years. You're right, it might have made a difference here.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Trabant posted:

I have to say that the 1.5mm round punched holes are a lot easier to stitch when compared to the diamond-shaped ones. It's not for superfine goods, but it definitely works for something like this tool bag.

This has been my experience as well. I'm considering slanted narrow holes to be a skill I learn in the future.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Let nobody stand in the way of your passions and/or utter madness:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CkocBWomno

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXTGrVAv8tE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1CZfoYGASs

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Just realized I never followed up on this:

iwentdoodie posted:

E: also those look awesome. If they work out and you're in the states I'd buy a set off you. I actually ordered one for like 6 bucks from rocky mountain when I ordered edge paint the other day, but I hoard tools and would def buy off a goon.

The Dremel-mounted burnishing, uh, tips I made weren't all that great. I made them too big and heavy (on account of how dense the wood is) so they end up feeling really weird to work with. I'll get on the lathe again and give it another try -- if those work out better, I'll post here.

Jaxyon posted:

This has been my experience as well. I'm considering slanted narrow holes to be a skill I learn in the future.

Hope you do -- I think consistency is the thing that trips up a lot of people, but the stitching method is relatively straightforward, especially once you figure out the thread casting. These two videos were hugely helpful to me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQK8R0oYT8o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOzTGWin0zM

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

I love absolutely everything about these.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Howdy folks. I was told this was the place to go for leather. I found my old bag of nerd cubes in their requisite Crown Royal bag the other day and figured it might be nice to use something a little less "A Crown Royal Bag". If anyone here does small-ish leather bags or knows someone that does I'd love to talk about giving them some money for one. eBay and Etsy have oodles but I figure that money would go better to some person/goon than rando drop shipper.

Basically I'm looking for something along these lines, but a bit larger.

Don't need or frankly want anything fancy, just some good pliant leather and a drawstring (though I could just use a shoelace I suppose). Everything I've seen so far that wasn't pretty tiny has been some gaudy nonsense.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
I'm sure you'll get some good responses (and if you don't mind work from someone who's not much past beginner level themselves I'd be willing to make it for you if nobody else does) but since everyone loves proselytizing their hobby I just have to ask: ever thought of making it yourself?

That would be a perfect beginner project if you've ever been curious about leatherworking yourself. You could probably do it with a minimum of new tools and kit especially if you are willing to spend a little extra time punching stitch holes with a simple awl you might already have. And it'll be that much more awesome to you, if it's something you made with your own hands and skill.

Here's a video of someone making something similar - note how the pattern is used to make a long rectangle and a circle into an open-ended cylinder? That could be resized to however large you want it and are willing to pay for the leather, but it shouldn't be that much. I'd find a chrome-tan in a thickness you feel like you could work with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1y-xJdk7nI

They're using the "proper" tools but you could get by with a much simpler kit if you were willing to take more time.

Another video of the same basic idea:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJsFdUOaeSA

If you have a Tandy Leather near you, they could offer advice and maybe even suggest a project class or kit.

Here's another approach:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZZY8EvcDAk
(You don't have to do any carving and tooling if you don't want to. I generally don't.)

Plus a bonus video from that same channel on doing leatherwork without all the specialty tools:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_8IzymwT8M

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
You're trying to ruin their life and/or hands!

I'm the one who suggested Warbird ask here :v:

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

My wife said no more hobbies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
:hmmyes: Leatherworking: My wife said no more hobbies

It's a very slow-moving thread so it's possible others haven't checked it recently, but at least Lemniscate Blue is willing to give it a shot :v: Or I will, in case that falls through.