Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark
I think I found my summer hobby. First thing is that I have a small patch knife that needs a sheath and a larger knife that could use a new sheath. What thickness of leather would I want to do this with? Also, is there a difference between working cow leather and deer leather or something like alligator hide? Have you ever worked with hides that still have the hair on? I have an idea in my head for fancy matching sheathes for one of my knives and my tomahawk.

This is the small knife. I figure if I mess it up then I am not out as much leather and work as for a larger knife.

Patch Knife2 by atticus_1354, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Pagan posted:

I would take a look through the scrap bin at Tandy for the leather, but you'll end up spending more on tools then on leather to make a sheath for it.

Thanks for the help. I figured tools would make up the bulk of the cost, but I think my dad has some left over from when he did leather work years ago. I just need to dig through the garage and his workshop. I did a small amount of leather work as a kid and have been considering taking it up again for a while now. Believe me I have plenty of projects planned to offset the cost of tools. The only problem is there is not a Tandy anywhere nearby, but I can swing by the Austin or Houston store this summer when I am back on that side of the state.

One more question. How do I get the sheath to form fit to the knife handle like in this picture?

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

Pagan posted:

Get it wet, and put the knife in the sheath while the leather is still wet. If you really want to get fancy, press the leather against the knife handle, or tap it with a hammer.

Thanks again. I really appreciate the help. Now to see if my dad remembers where he put his leather tools.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

Has anyone tried tanning a hide? I can hunt deer and rabbits year round on my dads place and wanted to try doing something with the hides and get one step closer to the "Use the whole Buffalo" ideal. If I am successful would anyone be interested in some hair on hides? I would happily barter since I could potentially end up with a large amount of hide.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

Pagan posted:

Start small! Start very small, like a squirrel.

I was thinking rabbits and sections of deer hide since those would be manageable and I have no need for a huge contiguous piece.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

Does anyone recommend any good leather working forums or websites to read?