Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
So, I'm looking for some steel (but not stainless steel) buckles to use for some leather restraints. I'm going to be treating them to be black so the specific type of metal is important. Any idea where I could find such a thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I want to avoid brass (and nickel, because things are usually just nickel coated brass) because I'm also planning on using these with latex rubber, and brass discolors latex.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
So I might as well share this site I found, in my quest for black hardware:
http://www.strapworks.com/default.asp

They've got anodized black pieces, but they'll also powder coat just about anything, and it turns out they sell buckles as well! So I've got some black buckles on their way to me along with a few other pieces of hardware, to make my completely black cuff set.

Next up I'm going to try and get some red powder coated stuff and make a red cuff set.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
There's a fabric warehouse in my area (called SR Harris) which is a warehouse sized fabric discounter (everything is 50% off retail price). They also have huge chunks of leather. I have no idea if they're any good, but if you've got a similar business in your area take a look maybe?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
So gonna try something really basic, a leather leash handle. I'm thinking of doing it in the same style as this, wrapping one end around the other and putting in a couple rivets around an O ring at the end:

Is this a sane plan? Am I overthinking something this simple?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
FInally got the rings in the mail today, so:

I picked up some scrap leather at a ren fest this year, turns out none of it works well for this, the stuff in the front is nice and stiff but the front is a daaaaark brown and then obviously the inside is much browner. The other two are a much less stiff leather, but all black. It's kind of hard to cut narrow strips with such floppy (what's the word for the opposite of stiff leather?) stuff. The width of the strap is only 3/8" so if you're off by a little bit it looks weird. The top one would be perfect except I punched the hole to big so the rivets are offset, in the middle one I punched the correct size hole but the piece wasn't wide enough.

So I'm gonna have to get me one of those tools I see in belt making videos, and then find some better leather as well. Thankfully I've got so many pieces of hardware I can afford to mess around. I got 100 rings for $4 and the rivets were like $7 all told with shipping for 100 as well.