Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
I have a question for you guys:

I sometimes do Ren Fairs, and I make my own stuff. I'd like to make a leather bodice. What weight leather would I want to use? It would need to be fairly stiff, much much heavier weight than you would use for a jacket or pants because it is a 'structural garment'. Honestly it needs to be as stiff as a corset, or stiffer. There's a company called Pendragon Bodices and the fronts of their bodices DON'T BEND at all, but the sides have a bit more give to them. (My last bodice was made with canvas lining and I put strips of aluminum in the front for structure). I've looked at Tandy leather online, but I don't get a feel for what I'm looking at through a computer, and the closest store is about an hour away. (I currently have a very unreliable car, it's 100 degrees, and I have a baby that would have to go with me)

Considering I could laminate or sew two or more pieces of leather together for the stiffest portion, what weight leather would you recommend to use for this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
I'm not worried about the sewing by hand. My last bodice I hand-sewed all the eyelets. For leather, where I could get the structure from the material itself, I would rather not deal with the issues of trying to put boning in. We may be in the area next weekend, so if they are open we'll have to swing by.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

Pagan posted:

Just be aware that you need special stuff to sew leather. It's both technically challenging and physically difficult; nothing at all like sewing fabric.

Thanks for the heads-up. I understand you have to make a 'groove' for the thread to sit, and need an awl for punching holes for the sewing. The bodices I plan to make just are shapes laced together, no actual sewing. So I'd just need something to cut the leather, and metal eyelets to keep the holes sturdy. And later on I can look at tooling the leather for decoration.