Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
I was looking at Saddleback leather product a couple weeks ago and thought that stuff was really cool looking, and the Leodis Leather channel on Youtube sealed the deal. Starter kit probably won't get here for a couple weeks but I can't wait to try!

Ordered this starter kit:
http://www.goodsjapan.jp/item/leather-craft-items-leathercra/craft-sha-leather-craft-kit-st/lid=29749092

and 10 pounds of upholstery scrap:
http://www.amazon.com/Springfield-Leather-Companys-Assorted-Upholstery/dp/B00DQAHCE8

I was tempted to go with the 5 pound bag of veg tan scraps, but I wanted to make some wallets for practicing and the veg tan ranges from 6oz to 10oz I think, which seemed like it might be pretty thick. I might be wrong in assuming this, but the upholstery looked like it might be thinner and better suited. Plus it's dyed already which is nice to focus just on the cutting and stitching for now. It's also nice to know I'm recycling and not directly killing cows for a hobby I might wind up not even liking.

What's the deal with cordovan shell leather? It looks super stiff and hard. Is that because of some sort of finish they use on it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

What do you think is the cost of leather material for a single wallet?

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

I got my leather and leather tools yesterday. I'm having trouble cutting straight lines in the leather. The problem is that the relatively thin upholstery leather I'm using is somewhat elastic, so it pulls as it is being cut and makes wobbly uneven edges. Scissors help a bit but even marking a line and cutting on it is imperfect because I'm not cutting against an edge like I would with a ruler and razor. Should I maybe try to get a sharper utility razor?

Also, using the gouging tool is even more difficult due to the elasticity, I've just sort of given up on it. It starts off where I want it and within an inch or two veers off the edge of the leather. Trying to pull the leather taught doesn't seem to help much. I have a single piece of thicker veg tan and it works beautifully on that, though.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Thanks for the feedback guys, I guess I'll get some veg tan scraps. I've had a hell of time getting nice even stitching on the upholstery leather too, and I guess it makes sense that the stuff I see leatherworkers doing by hand is always veg tan. On my single piece of veg tan I do have I practiced some stitching and it came out wonderfully. Also watching a video on proper saddle stitching helps - I started off with two separate strings and two needles, having fun trying to figure it out on my own. Not having any experience with sewing or leatherworking, I don't think it would have ever occurred to have a needle at either end of the same thread.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Is there anything protecting the back of the rivet from wearing against the gun?