Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pardalis
Dec 26, 2008

The Amazing Dreadheaded Chameleon Keeper
I really want to try this out but I don't have the money to invest in the starter kit, even when it is on sale like it is now. I have a bunch of leather already that I have used in various projects; is there any reason I can't wet/soak it and try tooling it with various cuts and textures from what I have around the house? I understand the basic concept of what you are doing and how you get the various effects but I'm unsure if there is anything special about leather tools that I am missing. In the past I have carefully made holes with a punch or even just a dremel/drill. I would love to be able to gouge some texture in, too! Fantastic thread! I especially love the little pouch you whipped up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pardalis
Dec 26, 2008

I recently had an older male customer of mine drop off the gift of a giant toolbox of leatherworking tools after I mentioned I was learning the craft.

Guys, there's like a thousand dollars worth of tools here :stare:

I don't know where to start.

Pardalis
Dec 26, 2008

I think you can oil it to finish it off. You want to treat it with *something*, though.

I also want to make a belt as one of my first projects. The leather store told me to take (neatsfoot?) oil to start with and to use it on my project after I am done tooling it to seal it up. Is this correct?