Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

angrytech
Jun 26, 2009
So once I burn through the starter kit, how would I actually go about ordering more leather? I see that the Tandy website has an entire "Leather" section, but it looks like they're selling whole cows in there, and I'd only be looking for something a few square feet.
Also, from reading Pagan's excellent intro, it looks like at a bare minimum I'd need a fabric scissors, swivel knife, gouger, pricking wheel, awl, needles, and thread; am I missing anything important?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angrytech
Jun 26, 2009

Pagan posted:

You can buy an entire hide, but there are smaller pieces. If you just need a few square feet, you're looking for either a single or double shoulder.

Well, what are you trying to do... just sew, no tooling / carving? If you're just looking to sew, then you've got the list, and you can skip the swivel knife. The swivel knife is used when carving or tooling, but you'd need to combine it with stamping tools.

also, for sewing, you'll need some sort of sewing palm. It takes so much force to push a needle through the leather (even after using an awl to punch a hole) that it'll tear your skin. You can buy a palm, but I made my own out of some scraps and some spare buckles.

Carving/tooling is the process of making decorative marks on the leather right? I'm not really interested in that immediately. I just want to make things.