Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

petecas
Jul 10, 2009

LEGO? Cats? Vikings? Crafting? Yes, please!

FISHMANPET posted:

So, I'm looking for some steel (but not stainless steel) buckles to use for some leather restraints. I'm going to be treating them to be black so the specific type of metal is important. Any idea where I could find such a thing?

Nickel and brass can both be treated with liver of sulfur (basically super-condensed hot springs) to turn black, so you're not just limited to steel. That having been said, the blackening steel process of "heat to red hot, quench in motor oil" is a lot more fun...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

petecas
Jul 10, 2009

LEGO? Cats? Vikings? Crafting? Yes, please!
So, Tandy has a nice sale right now on harness leather (http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/en-usd/store/9060-65.aspx) I'm a bit far out to go paw at some, so does anyone here have any impressions of the stuff? I'm looking to make some armor pieces for SCA heavy fighting and would like to know if that's better stuff than the saddle skirting side I've already got.