Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iskariot
May 25, 2010
I was wondering if DIY had an old leatherworking thread lurking in the past last night.

I worked with leather ~20 years ago when my dad, my brother and I were into knife-making. Nothing as serious as the OP but we did alright. As long as you don't aim for complex patterns and forms, it's pretty easy to get into. We formed (with water) the holsters for the knives, stitched them up and made belt loops using only leather and thread. Experimented with only leather but is was far more challenging.

Been thinking of making belts and armbands again so I can get them just right. Will keep a close eye on this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iskariot
May 25, 2010
Question for you lot that know "stuff": If I set out to create what I write earlier, belts, armbands and stuff like that; I expect to use regular untreated leather that I'll tan myself later. Will it be flexible enough for something like a belt and not crack over time? It worked for the knife holsters I made ages ago, but "ages ago". I remember close to nothing of the coloring process.

Tanning yourself: How do you prevent the leather from rubbing color off onto clothes? Especially when freshly tanned.

Iskariot
May 25, 2010
DUHR. Yes, I mixed up the terms. I meant dyeing of course.

(Incidentally I've tanned some sheep skins many years ago but I don't want to do that again.)

Iskariot
May 25, 2010
Pricking Wheels -
These consist of a frame into which different wheels are mounted. Expensive but useful for long or curved stitch runs. Sizes refer to the number of teeth per inch. Also available as a fixed wheel and frame.

From http://www.bowstock.co.uk/tools.html

Guessing that's what you are referring to.

Iskariot
May 25, 2010

Pagan posted:

Get it wet, and put the knife in the sheath while the leather is still wet. If you really want to get fancy, press the leather against the knife handle, or tap it with a hammer.
Remember to pack the knife in plastic wrap so you don't damage the knife with the water. A quality forged blade will seldom be stainless so you risk rust and while I expect the handle to be treated with wax and oils, better safe than sorry!

If I remember this correctly:

1. Make a paper mockup of the sheath.
2. Cut it out of leather.
3. Stitch it up.
4. Soak it in water.
5. Press the knife in. (it will likely be very snug)
6. Form the sheath.

I think this was the order of things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iskariot
May 25, 2010
Or see if you have a hatter close by. They will probably do just this but have tools to widen the crown without using your head head. They can even widen paper, wool, cotton and straw hats.